Newbie to front leafs: Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Newbie to front leafs: Questions

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-13-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
Jeep450r
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Newbie to front leafs: Questions

What are the downfalls to running leafs up front?
What are some pros to running them up front.

I am considering switching to leafs due the simplicity of leafs. What all is needed to do so?

Are there any stock leaf sprung front axles (d44 or stronger) that will bolt right up the the front of an XJ with leafs? It would be cool if there was an axle stronger than the d30 that I could swap in without cutting off and welding on new leaf mounts.

If there are none that will bolt right up, which axle would be ideal for this setup?

I apologize for the newbie questions... I am very new to this type of swap.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeep450r

Jeep450r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I think the people that do the conversion do so 'cause the leaves are just heavier duty than coils, especially if you're gonna run 36"+ tires. Idk how the leaves will flex compared to coils but I figure the coils would probably help you out a little more on the flex side of things.
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. It’s a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, we’re a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2009, 07:15 PM   #3
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep XJ front leafspring conversion
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.