new wire harness necessary for headlight conversions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > new wire harness necessary for headlight conversions?

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-13-2004, 12:45 PM   #1
DefaZ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

new wire harness necessary for headlight conversions?

I read somewhere that if you run the "H4 style conversion headlights" that you need to upgrade the stock harness so you dont burn anything up.. Has anyone had to do this? Is there some sort of ratings on the bulbs that will help me to find out what i'll need?

DefaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2004, 05:49 PM   #2
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

It depends on the bulbs you get. If you get like a 55watt bulb you'll be fine with stock wires. If you get like 100watt bulbs, you can and most likely will malt the wires .

What bulbs are you looking at getting. Oh, and get IPF housings (lenses) the other companies all suck. They are only like 10 bucks more, its so worth it. I had the cheapos and tossed them in the trash after a few weeks.
Unread 04-13-2004, 05:55 PM   #3
wipedawg

I have the h4 conversion and i'm running 80w piaa superpurple bulbs for a year now and have had no problems

6 in lift, 35" Interco Trxus MT's, long armed, Bushwacker cut-out flares, Skyjacker coils(powdercoated grey), RE 4.5 extreme duty leaf packs, Tera 1.5in shackles, AJ's Superrails, AA SYE, TW DS, Blacked out all around. and a buncha RE trackbar stuff, and the infamous ZJ tierod :)
wipedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2004, 06:02 PM   #4
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wipedawg
I have the h4 conversion and i'm running 80w piaa superpurple bulbs for a year now and have had no problems
Your prob not getting the full brightness of the bulbs.. and are taking the life off those connections... but to each his own..
Join the XJ Owners Club | Download the iMarn® iPhone App!
SIRA 4x4 Offroad Association
Rule #1 - No talking about the weather!
Homepage | Jeepspace Group|Twitter!|Facebook
BeachinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2004, 08:04 PM   #5
DefaZ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHarnett
It depends on the bulbs you get. If you get like a 55watt bulb you'll be fine with stock wires. If you get like 100watt bulbs, you can and most likely will malt the wires .

What bulbs are you looking at getting. Oh, and get IPF housings (lenses) the other companies all suck. They are only like 10 bucks more, its so worth it. I had the cheapos and tossed them in the trash after a few weeks.
I actually already have the bulbs. They're made by AutoPal (fake IPFs) but they actually have a metal backplate and fluted glass lens.

The bulbs are 60/55w H4 halogen

I'm assuming they'll work fine on the stock harness?

they're not extremely high performance, but they're E Mark approved (Euro standards) so they'll still be better than the stock brown headlights

Last edited by DefaZ; 04-13-2004 at 08:40 PM..
Unread 04-13-2004, 08:40 PM   #6
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefaZ
I actually already have the bulbs. They're made by AutoPal (fake IPFs) but they actually have a metal backplate and fluted glass lens.

The bulbs are 60/55w H4 halogen

I'm assuming they'll work fine on the stock harness?

even if they're not extremely high performance, but they're E Mark approved (Euro standards) so they'll still be better than the stock brown headlights
Yeah those will work fine on a stock wiring harness. What kind of lense do you have. Well if you didn't get lenses yet, get IPFs!!! bulbs doesn't really matter, the lenses are the most important part of the setup.
Unread 04-13-2004, 08:45 PM   #7
DefaZ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Yeah those will work fine on a stock wiring harness. What kind of lense do you have. Well if you didn't get lenses yet, get IPFs!!! bulbs doesn't really matter, the lenses are the most important part of the setup.
I was describing the lenses themselves rather than the bulbs...

I've read good things about the actual lenses I got, and I guess having the E Mark or whatever makes them comprable to the IPFs or Hellas...
Unread 04-14-2004, 03:30 PM   #8
1337j33px0r

Just upgrading the harness, and changing NOTHING else makes an AMAZING difference in headlight brightness.

the stock wiring sucks, replace it.
1337j33px0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2004, 03:46 PM   #9
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

You can also run relays to the headlights as well. Using the existing wires for "switches" it will allow the relay to run a full 12v to the head light. You'd need two relays on each side for your high and low beams.

I plan on doing this eventually, but the hedlight conversion is low on the totem for now.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2004, 07:44 PM   #10
DefaZ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ok so I went with the upgraded harness Idea, along with the H4 conversions today...

I just got the basic 55/60 watt bulbs for now, but i'll get something a little "cooler" in a few days here...

Ok here's my stock setup (hard to make my garage dark during the day):

Yea those lights suck. So here's the H4's on the stock harness:

Ok well I expected a little more change, but I'll blame it on the weak bulbs.. Then I changed the Harness to 12 Guage with a relay:

yea, so I guess it made quite a difference... Those pics kinda suck because I was so close to the wall, but you get the idea...
Unread 04-20-2004, 08:01 PM   #11
Drastik

can somone tell me where i can get a harness and how much, or exactly how to wire with relays i am good with electonics as long as i have instructions
Drastik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2004, 10:28 PM   #12
DefaZ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drastik
can somone tell me where i can get a harness and how much, or exactly how to wire with relays i am good with electonics as long as i have instructions
I can draw it out in paint for you if you want... i only used one relay in my setup (for the low beams), my high beams are still on the stock harness...
Unread 04-21-2004, 05:11 AM   #13
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

Hey that looks great. I can't believe the diffrence from stock harness. I gotta get me one now. Umm yeah, paint it out for us, with the high beams too.
Unread 04-21-2004, 08:36 AM   #14
DefaZ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Hey that looks great. I can't believe the diffrence from stock harness. I gotta get me one now. Umm yeah, paint it out for us, with the high beams too.
The official "Defaz's Headlight Harness" is being sketched as we speak (as I speak) and will be ready in a few... (Also, Im going to use the factory colors that are used in my 97, so if your stock headlight wires are different, just use an electrical tester to determine which color is hi/lo)...
Unread 04-21-2004, 09:47 AM   #15
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefaZ
The official "Defaz's Headlight Harness" is being sketched as we speak (as I speak) and will be ready in a few... (Also, Im going to use the factory colors that are used in my 97, so if your stock headlight wires are different, just use an electrical tester to determine which color is hi/lo)...
You Da Man So how much for one. Man I'm so lazy I don't even wanna make my own harness, how pathetic is that.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.