New tires (with tech info!) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > New tires (with tech info!)

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-03-2013, 11:54 PM   #1
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

New tires (with tech info!)

So, after having a lift for many years, I FINALLY bought bigger tires! Yea me!
I bought 33x10.50 15 KM2’s and got a deal on aluminum rims (MB72, 15x8, 19mm off-set (about 3.75BS).
The Jeep now looks the way a Jeep is supposed to look (see attached pics)

Now for the Tech content:

I have been living with drive line vibrations (60+ mph) ever since I got a SYE.
Nothing short of driving w/o the rear shaft remedied the vibrations. Long story short, no more vibrations with the new wheels!!

I have only gone through one tank of gas so far, and was being a bit aggressive testing for drive line vibes and acceleration going up hills, but I got 13.5 MPG, which falls within the range I usually get.

My speedometer is reading 35 MPH when my GPS reads 40, and 60 when the GPS says 70.
The odometer read 200 miles vs 236 on the GPS.

The transmission is running about 20 degrees hotter (150-170 vs 125-150 before, per my aftermarket gauge) but the engine seems to be running a few degrees COOLER (like, half the needles width)…?!?

I haven’t decided what pressure to run yet. America’s Tires set them to 35 PSI, and then Firestone indicated they set them to 33 PSI when they set the toe-in.

They are louder than the Wrangles ATs I was running, but not terrible so. You can also FEEL the tread at highway speeds and just as you slow to a stop.

The new wheels have not affected the tendency of the front end to follow every irregularity in the road (poor caster, and my track bar / drag link angles might be a bit off), but I wasn’t expecting them to.

I also have no rubbing at full lock.
I have not done any off-roading yet, and have not set my bump stops.

…what else… it’s even harder now to climb into the driver’s seat , and the engine compartment is almost chest high, but working UNDER the Jeep is a bit easier now
That’s all!

oldandnewtireslowrezlite.jpg

quarterviewlowrez.jpg

sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Looks good I have the same tires and I found I like the thinner tire (10.5 over 12.5) for their on road handling,I haven't seen a problem with the Skinner tires offload yet and have done some pretty hard trails. Now you have to start saving for gears 4.10s put my speedometer only a few mph off stock with no spedo gear change and lower rpms at highway speeds computer o the 3.55 that were stock.
Unread 08-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Forgot to mention that I'm going to go with 4.56...

By the way, what pressure do you run?
Unread 08-27-2013, 01:20 AM   #4
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

So, I've gone through 3 more tanks of gas. Two were in the low 12's and the last was low 13's (all "city" driving). I figure that I've lost about 1 to 2 MPG...
I've also determined that there is still some slight vibration issue going on. It only happens above 60 MPH, and it oscillates every 4 to 6 seconds, but it never shakes the mirrors or loose change like before.
My U-joints SEEM tight, so I might look for a place that does Road Force, or on vehicle balancing...

And I've decided that the stock gears have got to go! They are fine as long as the road is level, but even minor inclines are starting to wear on me.
Now I'll need to decide on where to install a single locker, front or rear...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.