New tech article: Removing stock swaybar links - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > New tech article: Removing stock swaybar links

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 09-05-2004, 11:08 PM   #1
GottaBeJeep

New tech article: Removing stock swaybar links

I know a lot of you guys have already removed your swaybar links, but for the new guys that don't know that the torx bolt is pressed in, not threaded, this will be very helpful...I hope.

http://www.rocklizardfabrications.co...r_endlinks.htm

Unread 09-05-2004, 11:18 PM   #2
4ever9er
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBeJeep
I know a lot of you guys have already removed your swaybar links, but for the new guys that don't know that the torx bolt is pressed in, not threaded, this will be very helpful...I hope.

http://www.rocklizardfabrications.co...sco_mounts.htm
Wow, you went through alot of work to remove that bolt! Yours must have been rusted in pretty well.
I took mine out yesterday and it took me maybe 15 minutes.
Just took the nut off and used a chisel aimed between the steel plate and the head of the torx bolt... about 6-8 good whacks, and the bolt came out.
(2000 Cherokee Sport)

Quick disconnect pins I used were 1/2" X 2" from Lowes.

Good Luck! ; )
4ever9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2004, 11:19 PM   #3
Alexia
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

http://www.rocklizardfabrications.co...r_endlinks.htm
Wow... could have used this a few weeks ago. I have a really bent out of shape axle bracket now...

Build Project Thread
Rocker Guard Comparison Chart - Final Differential Gear Ratios - Oxygen Sensor FAQ
Alexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2004, 11:26 PM   #4
GottaBeJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexia
Wow... could have used this a few weeks ago. I have a really bent out of shape axle bracket now...

Alexia: Sorry, I guess I should have done this writeup as soon as I actually finished that project (about 3 weeks ago). Don't worry, I'll kick myself for you.

4ever9er: It may seem like a lot of work, but many times the torx bolt is stuck in there pretty good. I have removed many of those bolts, and it is just easier to do it this way every time. The article is to help a lot of the new guys that spend a lot of time trying to turn that bolt out because they don't know it is pressed in, and end up on these forums asking why they can't get the bolt out. Air chisel works, but mine will get a few wacks at the end of the bolt, then I'll miss. I don't like to waste time missing that dang bolt. I want to get it out as fast and easy as possible. Time is money.
GottaBeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2004, 04:01 PM   #5
ColoradoXJ13

Quote:
Alexia: Sorry, I guess I should have done this writeup as soon as I actually finished that project (about 3 weeks ago). Don't worry, I'll kick myself for you.

4ever9er: It may seem like a lot of work, but many times the torx bolt is stuck in there pretty good. I have removed many of those bolts, and it is just easier to do it this way every time. The article is to help a lot of the new guys that spend a lot of time trying to turn that bolt out because they don't know it is pressed in, and end up on these forums asking why they can't get the bolt out. Air chisel works, but mine will get a few wacks at the end of the bolt, then I'll miss. I don't like to waste time missing that dang bolt. I want to get it out as fast and easy as possible. Time is money.
I just heated with an acetylene torch, got it nice and red, then tool an air wrench with a torx head, spun it, and knocked it out with a hammer, 5 minutes max
ColoradoXJ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2004, 08:40 PM   #6
DMacabre
1998 XJ Cherokee 

kinda makes me feel stupid for cutting them off and then drilling them out.... hey, whatever works right?
DMacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2004, 09:08 PM   #7
chow

ya I wished you hasd posted it sooner, I drilled my out, well still working on that one. I drilled through it, but parts of it are still there.

Rusty's Intake & TB Spacer, Banks Header, CSF 3-Core Radiator & MagnaFlow 2.5 SS Cat-Back Exhaust....
R.E. 6200 5" w/Bilstein 5150, JKS UCA & LCA, HighAngle CV Drive shaft, 1987 Dana 44 & R.E. SYE....
Custom 4X4 Fabrication Diff Gards D30 & D44, JKS SuperNerf Rails, DPG OFFROAD T-Case, Custom Roll Cage, Front & Rear Bumper by Ryan's Roll Cage.....
AR 797 15X8 W/FireStone Destination MT 31" , Warn 9.5 XP Winch ~
chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2004, 02:22 PM   #8
cyberbackpacker

Thanks for a great article. Another example of what makes this such a great article. Passing on the knowledge to help others! I appreciate it!
Unread 09-07-2004, 03:12 PM   #9
gecko321

i took mine out with a pair of vice-grips....grabbed the head and twisted a little and out it came....

mike
4Runner Roll bar | Welded D30 & 8.8 | MM PE8000 Winch
gecko321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 01:21 PM   #10
TJ_Jeeper_97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

my torx bolt came right out, its the top bolt im having trouble with. anyone?
Unread 09-29-2009, 02:03 PM   #11
TJ_Jeeper_97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

nevermind lol 4x4 explorer used a tie rod puller. JF is awesome!
Unread 09-30-2009, 05:33 AM   #12
jeep12827
1987 XJ Cherokee 

does it hurt to just use the torx head bolt and still bolt your discoes to that? thats what i did with my rough country 4 -6 inch quick discos
jeep12827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 07:13 AM   #13
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

If you bolted your rough country discos to the factory bolt, then that defeats the whole point of discos. How do you disconnect the RC ones, I thought they were a solid link, and they only used a quick disco lower bolt.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 04:38 PM   #14
jeep12827
1987 XJ Cherokee 

no they have the bushings on top and bottom of where they bolt up like the old stock link but the center tube part has pins that go through and hold it when u pull them out then the tube comes apart
jeep12827 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.