New starter, still won't start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > New starter, still won't start

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
Sonya229

New starter, still won't start

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place or not, but I'm in need of a little help. I have a 99 Jeep Cherokee Sport. When I bought it, I knew the starter needed to be replaced. After the jeep has been sitting in my drive way now for two weeks, I'm ready to put a starter on it. I bought one, brought it home and put it on. Now, with all that being said, the jeep still won't start. The battery is fully charged. What else do I check? Losing daylight outside, so the starter is being taken back tomorrow morning in hopes it was a bad starter. If that wasn't the case, what else should I be checking? It's a been 7 years since I've owned a jeep so I'm a little rusty on what to check. Any advice would be completely and totally appreciated!! Thank you all so very much!!

Sonya229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
whitexj98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Whats it doing? Clicking, anything? I would play with the shifter, hold it forward/ cycle the gears. A lot of time the netural saftey switch needs cleaned.
Unread 06-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
Sonya229

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitexj98 View Post
Whats it doing? Clicking, anything? I would play with the shifter, hold it forward/ cycle the gears. A lot of time the netural saftey switch needs cleaned.
Its not clicking at all.....shifter, huh? My jeep is an automatic.....so, still hold it forward, all that?
Unread 06-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
fourlow
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Hopefully just a bad starter since its not doing anything. If you put the new one in and it still doesnt start, but makes noise, check the coil.
JeepersandCreepers Bored out TB
GDI 3 core radiator
Flowkooler Water Pump

Suspension:
RE 3.5" (actual about 4 inches) 6030 SUPER-FLEX, RE1600 Adjustable Track Bar

Wheels/Tires:
Rock Crawler 152 Series, 3.75 Backspacing
31inch BFG MT's
fourlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
whitexj98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonya229 View Post
Its not clicking at all.....shifter, huh? My jeep is an automatic.....so, still hold it forward, all that?
Yep, shifter has some play in park, hold it forward, cycle the gears try it in neutral as well.
Unread 06-21-2012, 03:55 PM   #6
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

How did you determine the starter? Bench test it? Check for good power? If its making no noise, its probably an issue else where
Unread 06-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #7
Sonya229

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoteen101 View Post
How did you determine the starter? Bench test it? Check for good power? If its making no noise, its probably an issue else where
We just purchased the Jeep and was told before we bought it that it needed a started. As of right now, the jeep has started. Something was wrong with the battery cables. My brother worked on it today. So, as of right now, it's running. I have some other things to work on now. Like, the driver side back window doesn't go down. It's little things. Eventually, I'll have it all straight. Thank you all so very much! I'm sure I will be hitting you all up again very soon!!
Unread 06-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #8
dernt

Probably the neutral safety switch.
dernt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 07:59 AM   #9
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

If you turn the key and NOTHING happens (no click, no crank) it is most likely/almost certainly your NSS.

If it tries to crank...and goes to click, click, click. It is most likely your battery connection somewhere in the line...at the terminals, at the grounds, or just a bad battery.

If it cranks and cranks and cranks and won't start it is probably the CPS.

If you turn the key and just get ONE click and dead it could be the starter RELAY.

Check fuel pressure, check for spark (a nice snappy blue spark) and hopefully you have air.

Fuel, Spark, Air, = vvrroooom!
Unread 06-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
Sonya229

So, it worked for the weekend. I mean, I started having issues getting it started right away, but I would eventually get it started. Now, I can't get it started at all. I turn the key and it goes click click click....We have changed out the positive battery cable but not the negative. Should I also do the negative?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise XJ View Post
If you turn the key and NOTHING happens (no click, no crank) it is most likely/almost certainly your NSS.

If it tries to crank...and goes to click, click, click. It is most likely your battery connection somewhere in the line...at the terminals, at the grounds, or just a bad battery.

If it cranks and cranks and cranks and won't start it is probably the CPS.

If you turn the key and just get ONE click and dead it could be the starter RELAY.

Check fuel pressure, check for spark (a nice snappy blue spark) and hopefully you have air.

Fuel, Spark, Air, = vvrroooom!
Unread 06-28-2012, 01:10 AM   #11
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

If it is loose or corroded then you might as well replace it.
Unread 06-28-2012, 04:25 AM   #12
DannyRoark89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

i would inspect your neutral safety switch like all these brilliant dude mentioned above and its faulty or a new one doesnt change anything then i would turn my speculations towards the crank trigger (crank trigger went out in my previous 95 XJ and that was like putting my jeep into a coma is the best way i can describe it the way nothing worked at all was incredibly strange to me, of course that could have been a short somehwere to cutting them on and off....if i remember right its a real simple "swap" but getting it unbolted from the rig was a MPITA. i belive the proper way i concluded to get it off was about 30 inches worth of extensions,83 f-bombs and 6 marlboro lights. do yourself a favor and dont wait to buy a manuel till you need it buy it with intent to use oftern even if its just to verify what you believe to or cross check info from here or whatever and accept fact that your not really in charge of your life anymore the jeep is.

does anybody arc a screw driver over the solenoid anymore to confirm if a starter is a good or not? i have done it for years now and it has never given me a false "diagnosis". its pretty cut and dry close the circuit and power flows to the starter and it begins to wind up. and in my expierence a starter is either good or bad their is no "kind of going out" or "may need replaced" for me they have always just bit the bullet and failed. replace it and move on
DannyRoark89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.