NEW OWNER- 1996 Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > NEW OWNER- 1996 Cherokee

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!

Unread 07-21-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
MikeSkSpeed

NEW OWNER- 1996 Cherokee

What's up everyone? I just purchased a 1996 Cherokee 2wd with the 4 litre and I want to know what to look out for problem wise. Is there anything that needs to be checked as far as suspension? What should I be aware of engine wise? It has about 140,000mi on motor and tranny (auto). Im starting by replacing the fuel filter, air filter, plugs, wires, cap and rotor, oil, flushing the coolant system, replacing the belt, gear oil and all fuel lines and brakse parts. The 4Litre's take light oil, correct? The exhaust needs some work as well. Im going to replace the exhaust manifold gasket and install a new muffler. Any input would be appriciated! Thank's guys!!!

MikeSkSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like a good start to me. I would also consider the rear differential fluid and transmission fluid. As for the suspension I would just make sure all the control arm bushings, swaybar bushings, and shocks and shock bushings were in good shape along with the tierods, balljoints and hubs. I would also check to make sure the exhaust manifold/header isn't cracked down where the two main tubes connect to the collector.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cherokee , exhaust , jeep , lifted , repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.