New Member Here: Low Speed Vibration/Grinding Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > New Member Here: Low Speed Vibration/Grinding Issues

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday Sa

Unread 10-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
Bangarng

New Member Here: Low Speed Vibration/Grinding Issues

Hello everyone new member here. I have been browsing this forum for awhile and decided to finally sign up. I have a 99 XJ with a spec under 200k on the clock and counting. I picked her up last year with strange vibration/grinding issues that for the longest time I thought were just the mud tires.

I THINK it's front wheel hubs or universal joints but it could be anything really (bushings, etc.). Some local jeep guys think it's my exhaust on the crossmember but I don't think that's it. Could be lack of grease though. I already took the front driveshaft out and the sound is still there. If it catches just right the sound will go all day around 10mph unless I hit the brakes or tap the gas. Any help would be greatly appreciated before I start throwing parts at her. Thanks again

Here are some photos and a video of the noise the g/f took for me. You can here it throughout the vid:
Here's some pictures of the set up. They are posted from back to front. I don't know if this helps but I bet it's a start. Thanks:

Here's some pictures of the set up. They are posted from back to front. I don't know if this helps but I bet it's a start. The noise is actually 5 times louder in person. Thanks:
VIDEO:
http://s266.photobucket.com/user/rsk...3950a.mp4.html

Pictures:

Rear:

Mid:

Front:

[/quote]

Bangarng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
Bangarng

Checking out Rock Auto out for wheel hubs now I get to figure out if I have cast or composite.
Unread 10-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

All you need to know there:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Three different unit hub/bearing assemblies and matching disk brake rotor types were used during the years 1984-2001 on the XJ D30 axles. (XJ, MJ, TJ, and ZJ, axles can interchange most parts, so the 1999.5 cast/composite info may apply to all). Two different steering knuckle types were used during the years 1984-2001 on XJ D30 axles.

Unit Hub/Bearing Assemblies:

1) 1984 through 1989 - Original AMC hubs, ( Jeep Part Numbers 4723371, 5252725, 53000228, 53000234 )
use AMC brake rotors, AMC calipers, AMC steering knuckles, and AMC roller bearing hubs.
The unit hub/bearing are the same part number for both sides of the vehicle.

2) 1990 through 1999.5 - Older Chrysler type unit hubs, ( Jeep Part Number 53007449 )
use Composite brake rotors and Chrysler calipers and Chrysler steering knuckles.

3) 1999.5 through 2001 - New Chrysler type unit hubs, ( TIMKEN Part # HA597449 - Jeep Part Number 5016458 )
use Cast brake rotors and Chrysler calipers and Chrysler steering knuckles.

Steering Knuckles:

1) 1984 to 1989 - AMC Steering Knuckles. Left and right side steering knuckles have different part numbers and only accept AMC calipers.

2) 1990 to 2001 - Chrysler Steering Knuckles. Left and right side steering knuckles have different part numbers and only accept Chrysler calipers.

Any XJ AMC or XJ Chrysler steering knuckle will fit on any XJ D30. Remember, unit hubs type, and brake caliper type, must match the steering knuckle type, Chrysler vs. AMC.

Brake Calipers:

1) 1984 to 1989 - AMC Brake Calipers. Left and right sides calipers have different part numbers and only fit on AMC steering knuckles.
2) 1990 to 2001 - Chrysler Brake Calipers Left and right sides calipers have different part numbers and only fit on Chrysler steering knuckles.

AMC and Chrysler calipers do not interchange, they must be mounted on the corresponding AMC or Chrysler steering knuckle.

Brake Rotors:

1) 1984 - 1989 - AMC Brake Rotors

2) 1984 - 1999.5 - Composite Brake Rotors

3) 1999.5 - 2001 - Cast Brake Rotors

Additional Info:

- XJ D30 unit/bearing hubs, disk brake rotors, brake calipers, and axle shafts are interchangeable for all years 1990-2001, and HP vs. LP. You just need to have the rotor type, match the hub type, cast vs. composite. Or, just swap the hubs and rotors as a matched set. The calipers are exactly the same, cast vs. composite or HP vs. LP. The only D30 parts that will not interchange, HP vs. LP, are the ring and pinion gears. Any XJ AMC or XJ Chrysler steering knuckle will fit on any XJ D30.

- 2000 and 2001 XJ D30's are Low Pinion housings, just like the TJ Wranglers.

- Most (or perhaps all) XJ, MJ, TJ, and ZJ D-30 axle parts interchange.

- Cast vs. Composite rotors Identification and Measurement -

** You need to match the disk brake rotor type and measurements to the unit bearing/hub type and measurements currently on your XJ. **

Some cast iron replacement rotors are machined to composite rotor measurements. Therefore, you must measure your current rotors and compare the measurements to the replacement rotors at the parts store before purchasing.

Previous owners or a repair shop may have installed different type replacement parts. It is possible to have one old type and one new type unit hub.

If your hubs and rotors are not type matched, there will be interference between the two parts, the tire/wheel assembly will be bound up and not move freely, and the Jeep will not move.

Lay your old rotor on your bench and measure from the bench to the top of the rotor. Be aware that your rotors may have been replaced previously and may have a different physical appearance than described and pictured below. The physical measurements will be the same as noted.

Factory original Composite Rotors should have a rounded off corner at the wheel mounting surface and look like two pieces joined together. Composite rotors have a thin sheet metal like appearance at the holes where the lug nut studs come through and measure about 1/8 "(.125) thick in this area. Cast iron replacement rotors can be machined to composite rotor dimensions, which is why you have to measure the parts you have and are purchasing. Composite rotors have an overall height of 3 3/16".

Cast rotors have a 90 degree angle edge at the wheel mounting surface and look like they are one solid piece of metal. Cast rotors are thicker at the lug nut stud holes and measure between 1/4" (.250) to 5/16 (.320) in this area. Cast rotors have an overall height of 3 1/16".

*** Parts store replacement rotors may have a different physical appearance than the example pictures or the rotors on your Jeep, but they must have similar measurements to the rotors currently on your D30 front axle.

Some iron cast replacement rotors are machined to composite rotor measurements. Therefore, you must measure your current rotors and compare the measurements to the replacement rotors at the parts store before purchasing. ***

If your hubs and rotors are not matched, there will be interference between the two parts, the tire/wheel assembly will be bound up and not move freely, and the Jeep will not move.

If, after measuring your current rotors, you are still unsure of which type of rotor/bearing you have or if you suspect that a previous owner or a repair shop may have installed replacement parts, compare the Unit Hub Bearings to the pictures below.

Hub Type Identification -

- 1999.5 to 2001 unit bearing/hub on the RIGHT of the picture uses the CAST ROTOR. The 1999.5 - 2001 unit bearing/hubs have the taller ring around the 36MM shaft retaining nut. It is 1-1/8 inch tall and the hub has longer lug nut studs than older hubs. See pictures below.

-------------------------------

- 1990 to 1999.5 unit bearing/hub on the LEFT of the picture uses the COMPOSITE ROTOR. The 1990 - 1999.5 unit bearing/hubs have the ring around 36MM shaft retaining nut that is approximately 3/4 inch tall. See pictures below.

If your hubs and rotors are not matched, there will be interference between the two parts and the rims. The rim will be bound up by the interference and will not turn freely, and the Jeep will not move.
If this information has been helpful, please click on the "thumbs up" icon on the bottom right side of this section.

Unread 10-29-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Well, it seems to only happen on deceleration, and only happens in turns while coasting...
And the exhaust IS resting on the transmission cross member. Have you checked your motor mounts?
Have you jacked it up and spun the wheels to see if there is any noise, or looked at the radiator to see if the fan is rubbing?
sAe23 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2013, 08:02 PM   #5
Bangarng

Wow much thanks for all of the info. I have not jacked up and rotated the wheels but my buddy who has an XJ said he had a similar sound in his 94 and replace the wheel hubs to fix the issue. I don't think it's the exhaust or radiator because I can feel the vibration/grinding/whatever in my brakes. Because of this I am placing my bets on front suspension components. At the least it's a nice piece of mind since they have 200k on them anyways, but if it fixes the issue that would be even nicer!
Unread 10-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangarng View Post
[snip]
I don't think it's the exhaust or radiator because I can feel the vibration/grinding/whatever in my brakes. Because of this I am placing my bets on front suspension components.
[snip]
Ah, well, so would I, if I had seen this in your initial post
Still, it would be nice to know why the pipe is resting on the cross member...
Unread 10-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #7
Bangarng

^^^Ah yeah the other week the pipe rusted out so the back half is just hangin....

Ok sweet looks like I have an early 99 so I have the old school hubs and rotors. Thank you for helping.
Unread 11-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #8
Bangarng

UPDATE:

Just replaced both wheel hubs and it definitely helped with the vibration but not all of it.

The other sound still remains (which I thought was all the same). When I am slowing down right when I get around 15-10 mph i hear a "rrrrrrrrr(probably the mud tires)to a twannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng. Also, it's extremely loud. If I coast at the low speed it still makes the noise but if I accelerate the sound goes away. At high speeds the sound is almost non-existent but if it does it's really short like twang.

I'll work in getting a better video and post it soon. THE MYSTERY SOUND REMAINS!
Unread 11-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #9
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

My KM2's make all sorts of noise! Slowing to a stop you can hear them growl, and at highway speeds it sounds like I'm driving on a cobble stone road...
...but I don't get any "twang" noises
Good Luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.