New Member, Bought a 94 XJ Last Week, Need Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > New Member, Bought a 94 XJ Last Week, Need Help

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 07-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
LJ94XJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

New Member, Bought a 94 XJ Last Week, Need Help

Hey guys!

Last week I bought a 94 XJ off a buddy for a grand. Not the prettiest shape, but nothing terrible either. My vehicle info isn't complete because the Jeep is still at his place and haven't done too much research on it yet.

My problem:

My buddy loaned the Jeep, when he had it, to a mutual friend so he could make it to a job interview. The jeep was left in 4 hi and was traveling at highway speeds (70mph here). This is where the problem started, but I'm told it shouldn't have caused these issues, but I don't know; first jeep, only third 4x4.

When it first starts up for the day, putting it in drive or reverse, it will drive fine. Wait about five minutes, there's a slight buzzing sound, and the trans acts like it is dead. We don't know if the buzzing sound is related, because you only hear it with the good up and outside the vehicle.

Shutting the jeep off for a few minutes (say 5-15), it has forward and reverse again until 5 mins or so, then acts like a dead tranny. I believe trans is an AW4 (19 bolts on the pan). Anyone know what this problem is? Unplugging the TCU didn't help and it still had the problem shifting manually (if I unplugged the right electrical box, right under the glove box on that trim piece above your knee on pass. side of course) and the wiring under the dash is a nightmare. (It would also be very appreciated to know what color wires are what all over the interior.)

Thanks in advance!

LJ94XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

what do you mean dead? It wont move? it slips? shifts hard? describe the problem with a little more detail. could be multiple issues.

Driving it in 4wd at those speeds shouldnt cause a trans problem, but it can cause other issues. any check engine light/codes stored in the computer?
Unread 07-31-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
LJ94XJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Saying its acts dead as in dead. No forward gears, no reverse. Doesn't move at all. After cooling off for ten to fifteen minutes, it runs and drives fine. Then it does it again a fewinites later.
Unread 07-31-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Check the fluid level and check for any codes in the computer that could maybe help with diagnosis. Does the trans act up while its driving or does it seem ok until it loses forward gears?
Unread 07-31-2013, 06:17 PM   #5
LJ94XJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

It's all fine until it loses the gears. Literally no sign its about to happen. Then poof. No more moving for a few minutes. I'm thinking the fluid is just really old as two P/O's that I know haven't touched it. But it is full and unburnt. Still gotta do the codes, forgot about it last time I was out screwing with it.
Unread 08-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #6
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

check the codes first. How many miles? If its above 100K I wouldn't flush the fluid. Could cause more damage. Drain and fill the pan with a new filter if you have to.
Unread 08-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #7
LJ94XJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Will do
Unread 08-10-2013, 02:39 AM   #8
cherokeesport95
1997 XJ Cherokee 

had the exact same problem on my 95 with the aw4, Your tranny filter is clogged. go buy a transmission filter kit and some dex III and youll be good to go. What was happening is that i would start it up and it would drive fine for about 3-5 minutes then loose all gears "dead" like you said. it was picking all the junk up off the bottom of the pan and clogging the filter so it didnt have enough pressure to engage the gears. id shut it down and all that crap would drop off the screen and back into the pan until i fired it up again.
cherokeesport95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 02:41 AM   #9
cherokeesport95
1997 XJ Cherokee 

also this jeep had over 250,000 thousand miles on it and i completely flushed the tranny when i did this. ran perfect and shifted smooth as butter until threw a rod about 2,000 miles later.
cherokeesport95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 02:50 AM   #10
Jdawg319
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well if it wasnt the filter, i have an 87 trans am that this happened to. I was going about 90 on the highway and it ran perfectly fine. I got home and back in town then went to leave my house for a softball game and it would do this exact same thing. I had to get it completely rebuilt it was completely ruined. The rebuild was only like 1200 so not awful but yea.
Jdawg319 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.