New to me 2001 XJ need advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > New to me 2001 XJ need advice

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 04-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
MikeB78
1993 YJ Wrangler 

New to me 2001 XJ need advice

Okay so likely this weekend I will be picking up my first XJ a 2001 Limited with 198k on the body and about 90K on the motor. The Jeep runs smooth but the suspension just feels completely worn out. So far it already has new Ball Joints and new drivers axle u-joint, along with hub assemblies. Alignment has been done and transmission has been serviced. I know I need new shocks so that will be a pretty quick first step but then where should I go from there. The front end feels kind of sloppy (for lack of a better term) to me. To somewhat rebuild the suspension what other parts should I replace to get it back as close to an original ride as I can? This is just going to be a daily driver for a while, I have my YJ to play with. Have a few other issues to sort out as well as a knock/tick in the motor I've read up on that and kind of know the things to check there going to try the seafoam, check the flex plate, etc. Other than that its a clean Jeep. Thanks in advance for any input you can give me.

MikeB78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
MikeB78
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well here it is the knock is actually quieting down a little and I'm enjoying the drive. After my 2.5 JY on stock axles and 33's that 4.0 feels like a V8!

forumrunner_20130407_223431.jpg

2001 XJ Limited, bone stock (going to try and keep it that way for a while but we will see how long that lasts!!)
Unread 04-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Being a 2001 Cherokee keep a very close eye on unexplained coolant loss, I do not mean to come across as an alarmist but the 0331 head is well known for cracking and then developing a knock when ignored. I have bought repaired and sold quite a few 2000 and 01s with cracked heads, but I was aware they were cracked when I bought them.
buildin1XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
MikeB78
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice, I am definitely keeping my eye on the coolant and the oil. The motor is actually out of a 2000 so I know they have that issue. What is the best solution to this? I know there are several different heads out there and it looks like there are some modifications required to most of them to make it work. I read something last night about the 2002 and up heads out of the TJ but I just dont know what all will be required to make it work. Just looking to see if I am better off just fixing it before I have the problem rather than risking missing something and taking the rest of the motor with it (especially if my wife is driving it). Thanks for the advice.
Unread 04-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Just keep an eye on the temp gague my second XJ is a 2001 with close to 200,000 on her now nd the 0331 head with no problems,also for your front end slop check the track bar where it bolts to the axle sometimes the hole will oval out and cause a viberation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.