New leafs and bushings 99XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > New leafs and bushings 99XJ

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
misterdent
Goin broke jeeping!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

New leafs and bushings 99XJ

Getting ready to install new leafs and bushings since my leafs are completely flat. However if you look at the picture not all of the bushings are the same. I have 4 of the thick flange bushings and 8 of the thin flange. I should only need 8 total right? are the different thickness designated front or rear of the leaf springs? Are extra included in case of damage during installation? Keep in mind this is the only suspension job besides shocks I have ever done so this noob is seeking advice BEFORE I get in over my head. Any help/advice greatly appreciated!

dsc00501.jpgnew.jpg

misterdent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

What brand and part number of bushing kit or individual bushings did you order ?

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
misterdent
Goin broke jeeping!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

RANCHO U-BOLTS SPRING BUSHING CHRY 8.25 RS746 from q-tec
Unread 08-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

IDK, maybe it is a one size fits all parts kit, and you simply don't use some of the bushings. Has me confused, you only need 4 bushings, or 8 half bushings.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #5
misterdent
Goin broke jeeping!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I agree. I've got about two weeks before i attempt this so i have a litle time to sort it out. Already spraying down nuts with seafoam deep creep in anticipation. undercarriage isn't rusty, but it is 14 years old so better safe than sorry. I've already seen the videos where the front bolt of the spring breaks and i would really like to avoid that! If all else fails i will give rancho a call and see what they have to say. Thanks again CJ7-Tim!
Unread 08-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
misterdent
Goin broke jeeping!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

UPDATE! Called rancho and was able to determine the 8 thin flange bushings are for the leaf spring eyes and the 4 thick flange are for the shackles! Would have known that if i could have looked under the jeep but it has been so wet that hasn't been possible. Hope this helps someone else out.
Unread 08-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #7
calvin196
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Why didn't you just buy some dorman springs which include the bushings already? Or are you lifting it?
calvin196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 10:48 PM   #8
misterdent
Goin broke jeeping!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

LIFTING!, AND i've heard of rancho but don't know anything about dorman.
Unread 08-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #9
calvin196
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterdent View Post
LIFTING!, AND i've heard of rancho but don't know anything about dorman.
Ah ok, well then.
calvin196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #10
misterdent
Goin broke jeeping!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

*UPDATE* during installation I buggered up a couple of bushings and through several phone calls was able to get the part numbers for the individual bushings from rancho and thought it might help some one else out.
Part number RS 626 - Bushings for the shackle to body and rear leaf eye to shackle.
Part number RS 575 - Bushings for front leaf eye to body mounting point.
Part number RS 454 - Sleeve for bushing.
This is for springs with part number RS 44148.
the RS 575 is the one on the left of the picture on the first post in this thread and the RS 626 is the one on the right!
Unread 09-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #11
misterdent
Goin broke jeeping!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Update #2. ordered bushings and sleeves on 8-28 and just got confirmation email today ( 9-10) that they should ship out on 9-13! Soooooooo ready to get back in my XJ!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.