new to jeeps, XJ questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > new to jeeps, XJ questions

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 02-27-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
RoyBell

new to jeeps, XJ questions

Hey all, I have always been a fan of XJs and thinking of finally pulling the trigger on one. Main uses will be offroading and light DD use. I have a new Tundra that is my work vehicle, but I get a bit sick of trying to park it at the stores and what not.

I used to take my Tacoma offroading, but traded that in for the tundra, which obviously wouldn't make it far with the 3 mile wheel base and width of a city block.

So, I am starting to look into XJs. My budget= under $4K. Can it be done? It doesn't have to be pretty, just functional. My question? What should I look for? Are certain years prone to issues? Are high miles a concern? How long do the auto trannies usually last? Is a 150K mile 1994 going to be the same as a 1999? What are recommended procedures?- Water pump, timing belt, etc.

I appreciate the help, just starting my research and not sure where to start. I looked through the forums and couldn't find much in the way of problems that were year specific. Hopefully I'll see some of you on the trails.

RoyBell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2011, 10:50 AM   #2
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

As long as they are properly maintained the engine and transmissions will last well over 200,000 miles. If they have been poorly maintained and abused they could let go a lot sooner. The 97-up models have a nicer interior with cupholders and the like. 95-up have a drivers side airbag if that is important to you. I would look for one with the 8.25 rear axle for strength purposes as it will be much stronger than the d35. If you drive in the snow and ice a lot the 242 t-case may be your best bet as it has a fulltime 4x4 option that can be driven on the pavement. The 231 is part time 4x4 only and shouldn't be driven on pavement in 4wd. If you plan on lifting it, adding bigger tires and wheeling it the 231 is a little stronger than the 242 and has better aftermarket support as well. Stay away from the 2.5L for sure. The 00-01 models have a low pinion front dana30 and a poor head casting that is prone to cracking. 99 would be the best year model if you can find one in good shape. For 4,000.00 you should be able to find a nice one with less than 150,000 miles. Good luck.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
RoyBell

Wow, thanks for the good info!

How can I tell if it has a 8.25 rear-end or which Tcase it has? Full time 4wd isn't really needed cause I do have the truck for when the weather is really bad and is really my DD anyways. What happens if the previous owner had the 231 engaged on pavement all the time though?

What are the differences between a limited and sport?

Thanks for the info, should help in narrowing it down.
Unread 02-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
mosh-n-roll
2009 JK Wrangler 

If you're familiar with working on vehicles and can troubleshoot issues yourself, you should be able to get into one for relatively cheap. I bought my 98 for 500 bucks, not running. About 2-300 bucks later she was up and running. It now sits with a 4" lift, aussie front locker, and 31" MTRs (tires were on it). The lift ran me roughly $800 bucks, the Jeep was $500, the parts I bought to get it running were maybe $300, and the aussie I managed to get for free.

So that's roughly $1,600 bucks total and I have a pretty badass XJ in my opinion. Nothing crazy, but it is totally driveable on the street, and capable off-road as long as the trails aren't anything crazy. My jeep has the AX-15 5 speed tranny, the 231 transfer case, and the 4.0 I6. Has about 152,000 miles on it now and purs like a kitten. If you're willing to find one that needs work, you can spend way less money in the end IMO. Good luck!

Sold - 98 4 door XJ, 4.0, AX15, 8.25 w/ Aussie, HP-D30 w/Aussie, 4" IRO lift, custom front bumper, 34x10.5 Super Swamper LTB's.
mosh-n-roll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

The 231 t-case will have 2hi,4hi,N,4lo. the 242 has 2hi,4fulltime,4parttime,N,4lo. You can easily identify the 8.25 rear-end by looking at the differential housing, it will have a flat section of housing sticking out below the diff. cover and will have a lip around the edge of the cover. The d35 is round with no lip around the edge of the cover. This is a dana 35. This is the 8.25.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
Unread 02-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #6
njjeepthing
2011 JK Wrangler 

Here is how you identify the rear .
njjeepthing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2011, 11:33 AM   #7
Snoopi8321
2000 XJ Cherokee 

to tell the difference for the rear end look at the diff cover. If it is round on the bottom it is a D35 if it is flat it is the Chrysler 8.25. for 4000 you should be able to find somethin pretty good. I paid 4k for my 2000 with 115k in MINTcondition. if you dont mind minor flaws (faded paint, dents etc.) then you should be able to find somethin good for much less than 4000.
Snoopi8321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2011, 11:35 AM   #8
njjeepthing
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBell View Post

What are the differences between a limited and sport?
Most limited's will have different power options, power leather seats, overhead consoles, different wheels.

There are so many different configurations of XJ's it's mind numbing! Sports, Se's, Classic's, Anniversary Edition, Upcountry, Limited's, they all have different options! I've seen sports with power seats!
njjeepthing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #9
RoyBell

You guys are very helpful. If I am car shopping online, is there an easy way to narrow down rear-end/tranny? Like is it year/model specific? I am pretty good at wrenching on cars and diagnosing...but buying a non-working car would really scare me. plus, I don't really have the time to put into diagnosing and fixing one.
Unread 02-27-2011, 12:01 PM   #10
mosh-n-roll
2009 JK Wrangler 

The Cherokees that were made in late 1996-2001 that have the Chrysler 8.25 axle had 29 splines, much stronger than a dana 35 and stronger than the older 8.25 axles, which only had 27 splines. As far as searching online, I don't think there's any way of searching for a specific axle in the vehicle unless somebody on craigslist made note of it. Personally I would look for a 98 or 99 with the 8.25 rear end. I've heard the 99's are the way to go, but I have a 98 and have no complaints at all. I love mine

Sold - 98 4 door XJ, 4.0, AX15, 8.25 w/ Aussie, HP-D30 w/Aussie, 4" IRO lift, custom front bumper, 34x10.5 Super Swamper LTB's.
mosh-n-roll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2011, 12:04 PM   #11
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Not really as all models after 92 or so had the option of either a d35 or 8.25 rear. and the 242 or 231 was available in most all years. I can tell you if it has ABS brakes it will have the d35 rear as the 8.25 was never offered with ABS. The d35 came with or without ABS so if no ABS it could be either axle.
Unread 03-12-2011, 10:06 PM   #12
RoyBell

Well I ended up picking up a 98 classic today. Looked at a 97 with 100K and it was pretty beat and not real nice inside. Went looking for 4runners, but they were all sold. One last effort at a cherokee, and we sealed the deal. It looks suprisingly well for 166K miles. The power and brakes were better than the 97 we tested. Asking price was $5999. Got them to go for $4300. Not too bad considering the price of them around here are stupid high. Carfax shows no issues with 2 previous owners. last owner having it for 100K miles. It appears to be a good example of a higher mileage car. Hopefully she holds up well.

Oh yea, has the 8.25 rear and the 231 T case

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.