New issue - low idle at start, dies - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > New issue - low idle at start, dies

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 09-04-2012, 06:18 AM   #1
firedoghfd

New issue - low idle at start, dies

I have a 99 Jeep Cherokee (in-line 6 engine) that started having a new issue yesterday. The car had been sitting in a parking garage all day. When I went to start it, the engine turned over fine but then died within about 2 seconds. The idle also seemed very low and pitiful during the brief time it was on. I turned off the AC and tried again, this time giving the car a small amount of gas (for a few seconds, car in park) after it turned over. It turned over and revved a bit with the gas but died as soon as I removed my foot from the pedal. Third time I tried turning it on I revved the engine a few times then kept my foot on the gas to keep it at a low idle for about 2 minutes while sitting in park. When I slowly removed my foot from the gas at this point the jeep stayed on and I was able to drive without any issues. I stopped on my way home at the grocery store. Car sat about 1.5hrs before I went to start it up again. Absolutely no issues starting this time and the idle sounded strong after the engine turned over.

Any ideas what went wrong? Do I have a bad sensor somewhere?

firedoghfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 06:35 AM   #2
chinookgod
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Had the same problem a week ago. Your battery is drained. Maybe you left your dome light on. My problem fixed itself after a decent drive to work. Get your battery voltage tested or just don't take your foot off the gas until you get up to speed on a straightaway to charge your battery up.
l__|---\__l---[]IIIIII[]
[/COLOR]_()_)--o()_)--O-)_)
Rubicon Express 4", Pro comp soft 8's on Micky Thompson Baha ATZ 33's[/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="DarkGreen"]"Shhh! ..... Did you hear that?!?" "Yea, I think something just fell off."[/COLOR][/FONT]
chinookgod is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.