New invention, old problem... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > New invention, old problem...

50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com

Unread 03-15-2005, 01:47 PM   #16
Koenig

The Cone filters do sometimes make a whistle sound. I know my K&N cone does at certain rpms...I kinda like it

EDIT: Oh and I was also going to mention that I did roughly the same thing to catch the blowby. I just installed a T-fitting with a bottle and a filter coming off of it while the other end went to the crankcase. Works really good!

Koenig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2005, 04:31 PM   #17
Mateo94XJ

Everyone I know running a K&N has that whistle. . . in the case of my roommate's new 4Runner, it improves his throttle response like mad.
Mateo94XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2005, 07:30 PM   #18
Dvs_Lance

this will work fine if your not running a cat-if so it will stop it up like crazy. At least with suction coming of intake it gets burned. But do not do this if you have a cat. edit- this is talking about the moroso scavenging kit. I was able to fix my blow by problem just replacing a lot of clogged vaccum lines. I tried to go to a larger size on the vac lines I replaced too.
Hella H-3 100watt bulbs in factory fogs(upgraded wire)
50x4 Pioneer Head Unit and
Pioneer 5.25" rear and Infinity Kappa 4" front
10" Infinity BassLink; Cobra CB
4' Firestik II (USA limited)
Dana 30 front, Dana 35 rear, NP231
[SIZE=1]next mods are lockright front, SYE conversion, and BB![/SIZE]
Dvs_Lance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2005, 08:00 PM   #19
coppertop71

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Dvs_Lance this will work fine if your not running a cat-if so it will stop it up like crazy.

How would this set up clog a Cat? That line is a clean air induction line that allows clean air into the engine and back through the PVC line. I think the main issue with the manufacture set up is they put the hose connection on the intake air tube where vacuum is probably slightly higher because of faster moving air. I would have bet if they would have mounted the line say at the rear of the air box it wouldn’t cause this reverse flow of air.

BTW: I took my line completely off and installed a chrome breather cap and clean my PVC line more often. I probably don’t intake the cleanest air possible but that what oil changes are for.
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, 4.0 4:11 gears

'90 Cherokee XJ,W/'91 4.0L reman/ 3.5" RE lift, W/31" M/S tires, 4:11 Gears W/Speedo gear change/ Aluminum Coolant Tank
A/C Conversion/Home Built Roof Rack/K&N Box Filter
Derale 15" Rigid Radiator Fan PT# DER-17415, through Summit W/2"X5/8X5/8"" spacer

Jeep Pic's
coppertop71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2005, 05:42 AM   #20
xj4play
2004 KJ Liberty 

Before I installed the can, I had a breather element, just like the one on the can, installed where the PCV line attaches to the valve cover. It worked okay for awhile, but then started spewing oil out of it and all over the engine bay. I've kept all my vacuum lines, etc. clean, but it still insisted on spewing.

Once I am comfortable with this setup, I am going to run a line from the can (where the breather element is now) to the air tube and eliminate the breather element altogether.

The good thing about this setup is, there ain't no more oil blowing all over the place!! Odd thing is, since I've done this, there has been hardly any residue deposited in the can...
xj4play is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2005, 11:04 AM   #21
jlayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvs_Lance
this will work fine if your not running a cat-if so it will stop it up like crazy. At least with suction coming of intake it gets burned. But do not do this if you have a cat. edit- this is talking about the moroso scavenging kit. I was able to fix my blow by problem just replacing a lot of clogged vaccum lines. I tried to go to a larger size on the vac lines I replaced too.
he speaks the truth.. this is a no cat mod.. sorry forgot to include that probably should also be intalled post 02 sensors as well
00 F250 Diesel 4x4, To the trail hauler.
Several others. Mostly Fords.
jlayne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2005, 01:02 PM   #22
Koenig

Could someone elaborate on how this mod can hurt the CAT and/or the O2 sensor?

How does moving the PCV filter from the airbox to it's own external filter change anything? As long as the return line is still going to your main intake for a vacuum source...??
Unread 03-17-2005, 02:17 PM   #23
xj4play
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenig
Could someone elaborate on how this mod can hurt the CAT and/or the O2 sensor?

How does moving the PCV filter from the airbox to it's own external filter change anything? As long as the return line is still going to your main intake for a vacuum source...??
I think they were refering to the Moroso type crank case scavaging kits, which if I'm not mistaken, attaches directly into the exhaust pipe before the cat. That would definitely screw up the cat and probably the O2 sensor as well.

This can I'm using has no way of doing that.
Unread 03-17-2005, 03:11 PM   #24
Koenig

Ok that's what I was thinking...somehow we got talking about different mods Thanks!
Unread 03-21-2005, 05:43 AM   #25
xj4play
2004 KJ Liberty 

"Blowby Buster" is working!

I've been running this can for better than a week now and it is working great! Surprizingly, I haven't even had to empty it yet - there is hardly anything in the can. I'm not quite sure why the blowby has been reduced so radically, but I'm not complaining!

Hmmm, maybe I should put a few of these up on ebay...
Unread 03-21-2005, 06:16 PM   #26
coppertop71

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
xj4play
Quote:
I've been running this can for better than a week now and it is working great! Surprizingly, I haven't even had to empty it yet - there is hardly anything in the can. I'm not quite sure why the blowby has been reduced so radically, but I'm not complaining!
One reason you wont see much oil in your can is because you probably didnt really have a bad blow-by problem to begin with.

I think because the original vent line is connected to the intake induction system, the vacuum draw from the intake pulls oily moisture from the valve cover. When originally this line is suppose to provide a sealed access of clean air to the engine that eventually circulates back through the CCV port. Thus adding to the problem is the 2mm CCV hose that is up against the 1/2" inlet line that happens to be plugged into the air induction system.
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, 4.0 4:11 gears

'90 Cherokee XJ,W/'91 4.0L reman/ 3.5" RE lift, W/31" M/S tires, 4:11 Gears W/Speedo gear change/ Aluminum Coolant Tank
A/C Conversion/Home Built Roof Rack/K&N Box Filter
Derale 15" Rigid Radiator Fan PT# DER-17415, through Summit W/2"X5/8X5/8"" spacer

Jeep Pic's
coppertop71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2005, 07:49 PM   #27
CowboyPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppertop71
One reason you wont see much oil in your can is because you probably didnt really have a bad blow-by problem to begin with.

I think because the original vent line is connected to the intake induction system, the vacuum draw from the intake pulls oily moisture from the valve cover. When originally this line is suppose to provide a sealed access of clean air to the engine that eventually circulates back through the CCV port. Thus adding to the problem is the 2mm CCV hose that is up against the 1/2" inlet line that happens to be plugged into the air induction system.
Great explination!!! But also if you've ever played with spray cans of paint, a liquid mist seems like alot of coverage but in sheer volume isn't all that much..
Take a spay can and spray it into a small cup as if you were going to brush it onto something.. Take a long spray to make a puddle.. When the oil is misting and blowing around in the wind it'll seem like alot more then when it is captured and contained.

Every rose has it's Thorn, every XJ has it's leak, and every cowboy sings a sad sad song
CowboyPA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2005, 05:07 AM   #28
Cougar101
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Hey xj4play,

Can you give us an update, is your mod still working? If so I'm gonna give it a try.
NP231
235's
Homemade tow bar mount
Factory tow package
'98 29 Spline Chrysler 8.25 Rear axle
Cougar101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2005, 03:30 AM   #29
Cougar101
1988 XJ Cherokee 

To The Top!
NP231
235's
Homemade tow bar mount
Factory tow package
'98 29 Spline Chrysler 8.25 Rear axle
Cougar101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2005, 11:03 PM   #30
Atari423

ya, thats definatly a good way to do it. Better than what I did with my YJ, which was run a 4 foot tube off the engine, figured it'd shoot it all out, and never considered the filter would effect it.... well, thats why I sold it.

Actually alot of semi's run their blow by tubes off the side of their engines.

That sound you hear when throttling hard on an pen air: filter is the resonance of the valves "wistling" air into the piston. I say resonance because it can only be heard at certain Rpms/throttle.

I like it alot, but I'd want something that didnt look like I had a pint of primer paint in my car.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.