JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ Cherokee Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/)
-   -   New invention, old problem... (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/new-invention-old-problem-145703/)

xj4play 03-14-2005 11:44 AM

New invention, old problem...

In my continuing futile efforts to keep the oil on the inside of the engine, I finally gave up trying to thwart the blow-by monster. Okay damn it, if you need to throw my oil out of the crankcase, at least I'm gonna tell you where to throw it!! :brickwall

Sooo, I created a catch can for the blow-by residue to land in. This will work on '87-'90 4.0's, fitted with a cone-type air filter (airbox removed).

I went to Lowes, bought an empty quart-sized paint can, a couple of 3/8" right angle brass hose fittings, a 1/2" copper tubing elbow, a 3/8" straight hose fitting and a length of 3/8" hose. Also needed are 1 grommet (brand: HELP! Part # 42059) and 1 APC Breather filter, both available from Advance Auto Parts.

First, drill two 1/2" holes in the sides of the can toward the top lip, opposite each other. Install the right angle fittings in the holes by soldering - one with the nipple facing straight up, and the other angled at 45 degrees.

Next, solder the straight hose fitting into one end of the elbow (a little grinding may have to be done to get it to fit). Install the grommet in the front hole of the valve cover. Fit one end of the hose to the straight fitting and insert the other end of the hose on the angled fitting of the can. Insert the other end of the elbow into the new grommet on the valve cover. I sealed the grommet and elbow junction with Permatex.

Now install the breather filter on the other fitting of the can. Sit the can on the inner fender where the old airbox used to be.

I painted the assembly with Rustoleum hammered black paint. For now, it is just sitting on the inner fender, but I plan to mount it and install a petcock to drain it. To empty it right now, I have to disconnect it and pop the lid off to dump it out. Yeah, it's a bandaid, but at least it keeps the engine bay dry. :thumbsup:

I'll post pix as soon as I can get some shots of it.

ddoffroad 03-14-2005 01:37 PM

thats awesome...im looking to do something like that on my 93 ZJ. Do you have any pics of that assembly.....?

Thanks,
DDO

BeachinXJ 03-14-2005 01:49 PM

I wonder if you could just dump the oil back in? :rofl:

Nice idea.

thackney 03-14-2005 02:42 PM

Nice write up. Can't wait to see the pictures of it.

Dvs_Lance 03-14-2005 02:44 PM

I thought I had a blow-by problem and was going through air filters like crazy. Replaced the lines coming off the valve cover, and it hasn't gotten oil on a airfilter since. Just thought you might like to know

ssnsltd 03-14-2005 07:37 PM

I did the same thing with a plastic can myself before I rebuilt the engine.

FYI on Blow-by.
On all three of the 4.0l engines I took apart, the head on all of them had some of the oil drain passeges blocked/gummed up. The block that had it the worst had ALL of the passages clogged. I would encurage you to take the valve cover off and clean these out. At highway speeds, the oil just builds up in the valve cover turning the PCV and Air Cleaner into a snorkle and the engine just sucks the oil out.

xj4play 03-15-2005 04:28 AM

Here are the pix...

...as promised...

Not very fancy, but functional!
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...17_23_full.jpg

Installed where the airbox used to be...
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...17_25_full.jpg

The hose from the valve cover to the can...
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...17_26_full.jpg

xj4play 03-15-2005 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssnsltd
I did the same thing with a plastic can myself before I rebuilt the engine.

FYI on Blow-by.
On all three of the 4.0l engines I took apart, the head on all of them had some of the oil drain passeges blocked/gummed up. The block that had it the worst had ALL of the passages clogged. I would encurage you to take the valve cover off and clean these out. At highway speeds, the oil just builds up in the valve cover turning the PCV and Air Cleaner into a snorkle and the engine just sucks the oil out.

Yeah, been there, done that... passages are clean. This thing has 261K on it, so I know it needs rings. This can thing is just a temporary "diaper" until I can get a rebuild done.

thackney 03-15-2005 05:49 AM

Thanks for posting the pics.
I'll be doing the same here this spring.

jlayne 03-15-2005 07:47 AM

cool i know some guys that do the same thing, it works great... i have one of these on my jeep it is a
crank case scavaging kits this site shows it on a car, but you'll get the idea.. it creates a negative pressure in the engine and should solve the problem.. plus it blows all the goo out the exhaust.. me 2.8 blew out 2 rear mains before this.. since then.. not a drip

ssnsltd 03-15-2005 11:34 AM

Hmm, nice job. The gizmo I put in did not have the filter, I ran a hose back in to the air cleaner intake like on the stock system.

xj4play 03-15-2005 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssnsltd
Hmm, nice job. The gizmo I put in did not have the filter, I ran a hose back in to the air cleaner intake like on the stock system.

Yeah, I was going to do that and still might - I just want to see how much crap this thing collects before I run a hose to the cone adapter. I did something similar with an oil bottle when I still had the stock air box on it. It caught alot of the blow-by, but still managed to screw up one end of the air filter. I don't want to mess up my K&N!

Dana44 03-15-2005 12:14 PM

Hm, When i put a cone filter on my MJ (cuz its got the same engine), i had no problem with blow-by, i just stuck a little PVC filter/venter thing, and left it at that, works good

do you get a whistling noise when you take off? or driving?

xj4play 03-15-2005 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dana44
Hm, When i put a cone filter on my MJ (cuz its got the same engine), i had no problem with blow-by, i just stuck a little PVC filter/venter thing, and left it at that, works good

do you get a whistling noise when you take off? or driving?

No, not so far...

Dana44 03-15-2005 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xj4play
No, not so far...

hm, because my friend put a intake and filter on his jeep, and when you shift it whistles, the intake that is.

The time now is 02:25 AM.