New here.... Wanting opinions on rear diff swap (mitsubishi 9.5 in. Diff with locker) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > New here.... Wanting opinions on rear diff swap (mitsubishi 9.5 in. Diff with locker)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-23-2013, 12:57 AM   #1
Tonygon
1992 XJ Cherokee 

New here.... Wanting opinions on rear diff swap (mitsubishi 9.5 in. Diff with locker)

Hi all!!! New here on the jeep page. My wife owns a 92 xj 2wd with roughly about 4.5 in lift. I know alot of people wont encourage a lifted 2wd but here it goes. This rig is mostly used on city but plan on light wheeling with the family like camping trips and such. Any disadvantages or cons in having a full selectable locker in the rear since i obviously dont have low range gearing? I would be using a montero diff like the one on my 88 montero that is selectable air locker. I love that thing!!!! Yes i know its 6 lug so i would have to deal with somehow converting front to 6 lug if i want matching wheels. It would have 4.63 gearing. What size tires are appropriate for this set up? Thanks in advance!

Tonygon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 06:35 AM   #2
gs69350

1998 ZJ 

Go for it
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #3
Tonygon
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the encouragement, gs. Also i forgot to mention, i would also aquire rear disk brakes

Also ive searched and read about converting a front dana 30 into 6 lug. Would the knuckles on my 2wd xj be the same size as the ones on the d30? I know nobody has done this to the front, but i bet a ton of you on here have messed with the mentioned parts a lot and might have an idea. Im working on a full size roof rack at the moment so i'll share some pics shortly!!! Thanks again guys.
Unread 08-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
gs69350

1998 ZJ 

I don't know anything about the unit you are planning to use, but 9.5" sounds bigger, therefore stronger than the common swaps. You'll be on your own as far as tech support on it (at least in this forum). If the axle tubes are similar to 8.8 you should be able to get the brackets you need fairly easily without too much custom fab. You'll have to get creative and find the proper u-joint to use or have custom driveshaft made (which you might need anyway if the unit is bigger than your current). Gears are a bit steep unless you're running 33 or 35's (just my opinion).

Go do it, take pics, and make a write up.
Unread 08-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
Tonygon
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Yes that diff is super beefy!!! Its coil set up stock. The one on my 88 montero i had to shave down and weld perches to so i know about all that. Thanks for answering my questions about gearing and tires. I would like to keep it simple and cheap so i want to stay with 31 in tires. So i will try to find a unit with the 3.9gearing which was available on monteros. I want to keep it junk yard cheap like my other rig which is super capable. Im still thinking about it, if i decide to do it i'll post a bunch of pics. Thanks a lot. Anyone else have any input on this? Constructive criticism is most appreciated!
Unread 08-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Why rear is in the jeep now? I'm not sure when they started putting in the 8 1/4 but if you have one they are pretty beefy and will hold up to being locked, wouldn't it be easier to just buy an arb air locker and install it to keep things simple. I like complicated projects myself sometimes however I'm NOT allowed to touch the wifes jeep, well not yet. It will take alot of work finding all the right parts and makeing things it right but I don't see why it cant be done.
Unread 08-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
Tonygon
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98muddyjeep View Post
Why rear is in the jeep now? I'm not sure when they started putting in the 8 1/4 but if you have one they are pretty beefy and will hold up to being locked, wouldn't it be easier to just buy an arb air locker and install it to keep things simple. I like complicated projects myself sometimes however I'm NOT allowed to touch the wifes jeep, well not yet. It will take alot of work finding all the right parts and makeing things it right but I don't see why it cant be done.
It ncurrently has the d35 like i said im cheap, the mitsu axle comes STOCK with an air locker! I can get that at the yard for less than $100 on half off day! The whole shaving of the tubes and welding perches is simple work. An ARB unit is pricey no matter what diff. Ive had the mitsu locker on my truck for years now and works awesome. It comes with a low pressure air pump to activate it. Any ideas on converting a 2wd front axle into 6 lug? I know that sounds so stupid!!! Investing time and money on an axle with no gears in it!!! but a 6 lug xj would also look awesome. Im think it would perform well off road with this set up? Thanks a lot for your input, buddy
Unread 08-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #8
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

How about a 8.25 with LSD, for camping and such I don't think you will need much more, and they came stock on some xjs. just a idea.
me: yaaaaa.
bobthecatkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #9
Tonygon
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecatkiller View Post
How about a 8.25 with LSD, for camping and such I don't think you will need much more, and they came stock on some xjs. just a idea.
Thanks for the suggestion. I upgraded from lsd to full locker on my montero and completely fell in love! I actually have an lsd on the jeep's dana 35 now.

On my montero i have driven through some good stuff on 2wd locked and its far better than lsd. Sure lsd would probably suffice for a family camping trip, but i love the locker and ill also get disk brakes.
Unread 08-25-2013, 01:00 AM   #10
Tonygon
1992 XJ Cherokee 

So im seeing the posibilities and i might be able to regear the mitsu axle with junkyard gears to 4.22s. Would you guys say that would be good for 31 inch tires?
Unread 08-25-2013, 09:58 AM   #11
Tonygon
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Anyone?
Unread 08-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #12
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Whatcha gonna do when you get a flat? Carry two spares?

Personally I think that the money would be better spent upgrading to 4wheel drive.
Unread 08-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #13
Tonygon
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Whatcha gonna do when you get a flat? Carry two spares?

Personally I think that the money would be better spent upgrading to 4wheel drive.
Like i said before. I would convert the front to 6 lug if i pull the trigger on this. Thanks for your opinion but its my wife's truck and she doesnt need 4wd. You seem experienced, what do you think about 4.2 gear ratio and 31's? Thanks
Unread 08-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #14
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

That gear ratio seems quite low. I have a 4.0 but have the manual transmission and run 4.10 with my 35's on the freeway. I had 31's with the low gear ratio and burned through fuel like no other.
Unread 08-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #15
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

There's a chart around here somewhere, 4.10s and 31s is getting to low but still not terrible. I think for a xj 3:73 is about stock with 31s.
Edit: http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-ti...atio-chart.htm
me: yaaaaa.
bobthecatkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.