New Here - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > New Here

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-26-2005, 01:35 PM   #1
88JeepLimited

New Here

Hey everyone,
I have an 1988 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 with the 4.0L 6. It currently has 294,xxxmiles onit. IT runs strong but i was wondering if it is worth puttin a lift on it. It has plenty of power offroad but on the street it seems to lag. If i put a lift, say a 3.5 of 4.5 lift on it i would have to run bigger tires correct? Wouldnt this make the car lag even more? WEll sorry for so many questions but i really would like to know. thanks

88JeepLimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2005, 02:07 PM   #2
sizzle-chest

if you put a lift on yer riggins, then you dont need bigger tires, but you will want them so that it doesnt look like ell. Plus, there aint much point to a lift without tires really. Some things to consider before lifting: you got a lot of miles, how long will your rig last after putting money in to lift it? Once lifting it, it will not be as road worthy, i dont know about lag because that sounds like something else, but it wont be driving better on the road for sure. Also, you cant just lift it and expect to be done with it. Look up death wobble under search to find out how many things you may have to correct with a simple lift. Lag like your describing could be indicative of some very serious problems. Ide figure those out before putting a grand into lift and tires.
sizzle-chest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2005, 02:29 PM   #3
cherokee xj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

^^^ i think thats the most knowledgable and serious comment i've seen sizzle write. Way to go
Unread 06-26-2005, 02:54 PM   #4
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

wow......sizzle I......yeah, what he said. lol.

Welcome to the board. IMO, I'd focus on a tune up before a build up. Replace the plugs, cap, rotor, and wires. Remove and COMPLETELY clean the TB. Verify the EGR is in solid operating order. Clean and replace necessary CCV system elbows and tubes. Check and replace if necessary the vac lines.

Get her running like a top, then start to think about how much and what kind of wheeling you will be doing. If your rear leaf packs are in good shape, and you spend more time onroad, consider a simple upgrade to 235 70 r15 tires with no lift. Your springs should be at about 17.5" from the center of the rim to the bottom of the fender flare above the rim. The rear measurement will be 17".

If you plan on wheeling, or the area your wheel requires a hair more ground clearence, then consider a 2" budge boost (bb) lift. There are several write ups in the FAQ/Tech sticky near the top of this page that deal with ways to get some lift. With a bb you can run 30's. That won't kill your power or on road drivability and will offer a hair more ground clearence at the diffs.

It is possible to run 30's at stock lift, but you won't get the maximum benefit of the tires like you would with the extra room to move in the wheel wells. If you want to run bigger tires, it will require either more suspension lift or a sawzaw on eth fenders. Bigger tires will zap the power due to the fact that taller tires will effectively give you less gear.

Feel free to ask any questions here.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2005, 03:35 PM   #5
wolfepack215
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee xj
^^^ i think thats the most knowledgable and serious comment i've seen sizzle write. Way to go

Wooo Hooo!!! Good Post Sizzle.....
wolfepack215 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2005, 03:55 PM   #6
XJ-NoDough

Sizzle, so that's why you are getting yours running good, and installing recovery points and haven't done your budget lift yet.
Leather, Loaded[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]4L Selec-trac[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=White][B]Automatic[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]3"-4.5"ish Homebrew lift[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=White][B]16x8 MB Motoring Rockers[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]265/75R16(31[SIZE="1"]ish[/SIZE]"X10.4") Goodyear Wrangler M/TRs[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=White][B]Trimmed w/ Bushwackers[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]Stock 3:55 gears[/B][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[B][COLOR=White]sans big audio[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=Red]Homebrew intake w/cone filter[/COLOR][/B]
"Some people are like a slinky... Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs." :my dad
XJ-NoDough is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2005, 04:09 PM   #7
wolfepack215
1987 XJ Cherokee 

At 294k miles, you are looking at some maintenance items first, and a good chance of a rebuild depending on the history of the motor. Best to spend your money on the maintenance and have a good running machine, than lift it and all so that you can show it off in your driveway cause the motor has cr@pp*d out on you.
Or, second option, Pull the motor, stroke it out, it will need a rebuild soon anyways. While the motor is out to shop, put the lift, wheels/tires, Rockrails, Upgraded axles, regear, SYE, New Driveshaft, lockers, Skids, Front and Rear Bumper(w/Tire & accesory Mounts), Winch, 3 row radiator, Hi-current alt., Light bar, Safari Rack, Snorkel, Stereo, GPS, CB & Whip, On Board Air, Herculine the interior and Line the lower edge of your body panels, Tint the windows, and do a disc conversion on the Rear Axle. ..

Dangitt, got carried away with the lottery winner dream again.......

Yeah, first things first, Maintain, update, modify..... Repeat.
wolfepack215 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.