New CPS but still stalling - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > New CPS but still stalling

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
keith-i
1995 XJ Cherokee 

New CPS but still stalling

My Jeep is a 1994 Auto which I have been keeping alive for a few years now. A couple of days back it wouldn't start (cranked fine) so I lifted the hood and checked the distributor and various connections. Nothing looked wrong, but after that it fired up. I then got about half a mile down the road before it conked out following which I could only manage a few yards at a time before it would die. There are no codes or CEL and there is fuel pressure at the rail. One thing, possibly unrelated, is that the rev counter quite often reads 1500 or 2000 at tickover although the revs are actually about 800.

I googled and everything pointed to the CPS. I bought a genuine Jeep part and fitted it yesterday (that was fun). All seem fine until I took it for a spin and before I even got off my drive it died again. I am reluctant to take it on the roads until I sort this for fear of causing a crash.

So my question is what do I check next? I've read about coils and O2 sensors but need some Jeep wisdom before piling in.

keith-i is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

1. Ignition coil must be tested. They can be tested for both primary and secondary resistances with a meter and a manual outlining the procedure.

2. Never underestimate the importance of fresh tuneup hardware. Plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor must be in good condition.

3. Verify fuel pressure with a gauge. Takes all of 5 minutes. Just because you have fuel pressure at the rail doesn't guarantee you have enough fuel pressure. You need approximately 31 psi of pressure to keep your 94 running. Gotta use a gauge. They can be rented from many parts stores; call around.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.