New Cherokee Headlights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > New Cherokee Headlights

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREERuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 10-04-2005, 05:36 PM   #1
JBXdudeTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

New Cherokee Headlights

What is a good light for the Cherokee? I'm looking to replace my g/f's headlamps and don't know if the lights at autozone will do or I should be looking elsewhere? And also, how the hell do these things come off? They look amazingly difficult to remove, are they a problem? Thanks ya'll!

ps - I've checked out past threads, just always open for new comments :-D

OME Lift
BGF AT's - 33's
[B][COLOR="Magenta"]Parrothead Jeeper Union member #26!![/COLOR][/B]
JBXdudeTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2005, 05:46 PM   #2
01JeepXJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBXdudeTJ
What is a good light for the Cherokee? I'm looking to replace my g/f's headlamps and don't know if the lights at autozone will do or I should be looking elsewhere? And also, how the hell do these things come off? They look amazingly difficult to remove, are they a problem? Thanks ya'll!

ps - I've checked out past threads, just always open for new comments :-D
I Just did this

check it out

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/review-twisted-hd-wire-lots-pictures-198551/
**SOLD **
01JeepXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2005, 05:49 PM   #3
jbrem
2005 WK 

I got a pair of Silverstar bright white lights for like $50. Got them at checker i think. Very easy to install
jbrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2005, 06:20 PM   #4
darkfire07
2001 WJ 

Sylvania SilverStar's are good, quite bright. Several people have done th H4 conversions...there are several different kits available, though the IPF kit is probably the best....expensive though.

Silverstars
http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...ar/default.htm

IPF
http://www.arb.com.au/ipf_lights_aus...ernational.htm

The Silverstars you can find at AutoZone or O Reilly's, etc...the IPF kit can be ordered from any number of reputable online dealers.
DF7
darkfire07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2005, 06:26 PM   #5
Radiac

I just switched to Sylvania XtraVision (part number H6054XV) from Sylvania Cool Blues on the XJ. The XtraVision is much brighter with a wider pattern and IIRC a little higher wattage than stock. The XtraVision light is more of a yellow/white than the Cool Blues but a lot brighter.

[B]Hers: 2004 Bright Silver Grand Cherokee Laredo[/B]
[URL=http://simpson260.com/hosting/jeeps/04jeep.htm]Pictures Here[/URL]
Radiac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2005, 07:39 PM   #6
Twisted

I was just tellin myself I need to do a write up on the subject and I stumbled across your post.

1) A lot of people run the SilverStars with no problems. They are probably the least expensive option for headlight upgrades that actually improve some over stock lighting. Most noticeable is the whiter color you get out of them. They have a slight hint of blue but not enough to be "ricer" or anything.

2) Your next best bet (which of course cost more) is to do an H4 conversion. This is a real popular conversion with a couple options. First you have to decide on which H4 housings you want. Here is a breakdown of the 3 based on my personal opinion. A lot will agree, some will disagree, so just remember its just my personal opinion.

- Ebay housings (anything that is less than $20 each, often called "diamond cut" or some other sly disguise of a name: Avoid them at all costs. Plastic housings that can melt, non researched beam patterns, just blobs of light, basically cheap overseas made crap.

- Hella Housings: In my opinion they are the best. I run them on my personal XJ and have ran them in a couple prior vehicles. They give a sharp cutoff so you don't blind on coming traffic. The project light decently to the sides as very well straight ahead. They have a small beam towards the right that aims up a little to light up the right side a little more. They are roughly $80/pair online. I've found them for about $95/pair locally.

- Cibie Housings: I personally have never used these nor seen one in person but I have read tons and tons of personal reviews of these headlights. After filtering out the reviews that are obviously so good because the owner is so proud of their purchase, I've learned that these housings are an equal to the Hella's. The tend to shine to the sides a little better but not as far straight out. Their high beam is a little more precisely aimed. But you also pay more for them. Best prices I was finding was about $120/pair online, I've never found them locally.

- IPF Housings: are very popular. I've seen them in person and they appear to work well untill put side by side with a Hella or Cibie where it is obvious they are not as effecient or precise. While IPF tends to make quality parts and are popular in the off road market it is understandable why many people still use them and swear by them. They are still a definate upgrade over stock sealed beams but are a decent 3rd compared to the Hella or Cibie options.

3) Once you choose a housing you need to choose a bulb. Aftermarket bulbs are an area I've had a ton of personal experience as I've ran just about every high dollar bulb out there. (remember that last sentence). I'm gonna not necessarily name brands here but give you some basics about headlight bulbs...

- A 55 watt bulb can only make 55 watts of light. Several companies advertise and promote their bulbs as 55/60w ---> 100/110w. What they are trying to say is that for whatever special reason their bulb that is only 55w will produce the equivelent of 100 watts. Not true, it is a carefully worded marketing scheme that isn't technically false advertising but is definatly misleading.

- The only way to get 80w of light output is from an 80w bulb. Don't fall into the marketing schemes.

- All those really neat blue, superwhite, hyperwhite, crystal ion, etc. coatings don't really help. If your goal is to produce a certain color light or want to imitate HID by getting a "HID" type bulb then there are many quality brands and models to choose from. But if your goal is to produce as much safe useable light as you can, these are not for you. All those "special" coatings they put on to create those colors and advertise as producing higher wattage actually lower your light output. At first glance in dry conditions it may appear that these bulbs are brighter and thats because the whiter light is a lot more noticeable in dry conditions to the naked eye. It tends to appear to reflect more and tricks the eye a little. But once into stormy wet weather this super white color will be nearly useless at moisture tends to absorb it more than reflect it.

- You can run any 55w bulb safely with your stock wiring doing no upgrades. Even if they advertise it as "projected" 100w, as long as it is a 55w bulb at heart. If you want to run higher wattage bulbs you will need an upgraded harness to do so safely. More to come about the harness next.

4) Upgraded Harness: is a must if you want to safely run higher wattage bulbs. Many people will tell you that they have run xx watt bulbs on stock wiring with no problems and while this may be true, its asking for trouble. A stock headlight wiring harness in many vehicles is made of thin wire which is routed poorly through many plugs and a switch. They tend to not deliver a full 12volts to the headlights, let alone the 12.5-14 volts that most alternators/batteries actually run at. The upgraded harness essentially uses 30amp relays to pull power directly from the battery/alternator using thicker wire to the headlights themselves. There are very few connections in between and no switch as the relays act as the switch. Delivering slightly higher voltage at a greater amperage capacity makes a large improvement in how your headlights perform. There are several manufacturers of these harnesses and tend to range $90-$150. I also make these harnesses and sell them at a more affordable price. If you are interested in one PM me and we can talk.

With all that said let me tell you about my personal setup right now. I run Hella housings along with one of my upgraded harnesses. I ran with high dollar PIAA bulbs untill a week ago when I swapped them out for some $10 no name 80/100w made in Germany bulbs. Let me tell you this, these are the cheapest bulbs I've ever bought and they are the biggest upgrade I've made over any of my past bulbs. I don't have the bling hyper white color or anything but I tell you what, they throw down some light and in stormy wet weather, I can still see where I'm going.

[U]My vehicles[/U]
97 Cherokee: 4.0, RE Lift, 33" Trxus MT's, Yukon 4.56's, and locked front and rear...
87 Mazda Extra cab p/u: 2.5" body drop and full air ride
99 Honda Civic SI: Electron Blue Pearl - [color=red]Sold[/color][/size]
Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2005, 08:15 PM   #7
jcr23

are the hellas DOT approved? b/c the new IPF housings are actually worse than the ones they replaced for the sake of being DOT approved. for DOT approval they have to shoot a certain amount of light upwards to illuminate overhead signs whereas European regulations are newer and don't require that lighting to shoot upward (because how often are the overhead signs not illuminated?). so that extra light that would otherwise be wasted is shot down to the ground where its useable, which sounds a lot like the hellas.
Unread 10-04-2005, 09:00 PM   #8
Twisted

The Hella's are not DOT approved but I've ran them for almost 10 years with no problems. They are actually less blinding to oncoming traffic than DOT approved lights because of the cut off beam. I don't know about the regulations to light up signs but I do know that my Hella's light up the signs real bright.

[U]My vehicles[/U]
97 Cherokee: 4.0, RE Lift, 33" Trxus MT's, Yukon 4.56's, and locked front and rear...
87 Mazda Extra cab p/u: 2.5" body drop and full air ride
99 Honda Civic SI: Electron Blue Pearl - [color=red]Sold[/color][/size]
Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2005, 09:04 PM   #9
01JeepXJ

IPF Lights With Twisted Wiring Harness
**SOLD **

Last edited by 01JeepXJ; 10-29-2007 at 02:54 PM..
01JeepXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2005, 09:31 PM   #10
Fred85

i also run the hellas (they're the only housing that comes with bulbs), and even with the hella bulbs the lighting was an absolute amazing improvement

though, i also use a new harness that i made

they cast light evenly to both sides of the road, and i can actually see off to the shoulders of the road now. They have a pretty sharp cutoff at the top of the pattern, and even though they are pretty bright i haven't gotten flashed ever by incoming traffic (i made sure to aim them properly)

I'm extremely happy with the hellas, and i didn't have to buy new bulbs as well

$87 shipped from quadratec

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.