New Air Filter - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > New Air Filter

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 08-08-2005, 12:40 PM   #16
djzero

This is the most recent thread about cone air filters, so I guess I'll ask this here:

In all the writeups I've seen so far for cone air filters, they all use some kind of apparatus, (Rusty's or homemade) that reattach the crankcase breather to the intake hose so that the air for the crankcase is still coming through that one main air filter. Of course this requires a special tube with a nub for the crankcase breather tube and doesn't allow you to just run a straight tube clamped between the cone and the flex tube. What I'm wondering is, would it not be possible to just stick on a seperate crankcase filter, like this:

And then just use a straight piece of PVC or some crap to attach the cone to the flex tube?
It seems to me that by retaining the stock crankcase breather setup, you're overcomplicating things.

Unread 08-08-2005, 01:01 PM   #17
Rescue XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

It makes sense, Id like to do that.
4L HO Command track Dana 30 front Chrysler 8.25 rear CarQuest XD shocks, Federal Signal emergency stuff, MCX 1000 DES-XL, TK-940, Astro Spectra W3 encrypted, Magnaflow 18" body, Medical supplies, MREs, Gatoraid, Shovel, MagLite, body armor, grappling hook, annoying squeeking sound from my door, otherwise stock for now.
White Jeep Club Member #911
Code 3 Jeep Club Member #1
Eagle Scout Jeep Club Member #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx50cj3a
Vatozone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Briarwood
I think "that look" is what they teach the chicks in 6th grade when they show them "that film" behind closed doors.
Rescue XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2005, 01:34 PM   #18
homerscj7

Another write-up
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/349289/3

....I later took a stock air box and modified it for a higher intake tube and put the cone filter inside to protect it
Unread 08-08-2005, 02:51 PM   #19
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolognablake
Most test have shown a 2 hp or less increase. Plus the cotton elements don't filter as well as paper. Plus, I can't justify the price diffrence.

One day I might modify the stock airbox to accept a larger cone-style filter, but I'm lazy.

I heard the same thing from a performance shop. I just goto Napa and get the replacement filter that's made by WIX. When it gets muddy/dirty from off-roadin' I just throw it away and by another...
Unread 09-21-2005, 10:55 AM   #20
JBassXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerscj7
Another write-up
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/349289/3

....I later took a stock air box and modified it for a higher intake tube and put the cone filter inside to protect it
sorry for draggin' an old thread up, but how large of a filter can you stuff in the stock airbox?

any pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake
Pics or ban.
JBassXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2005, 11:17 AM   #21
H8CMENT

I use to be a huge fan of K&N until I did some research on them. They do let more air in. Larger opening in the filter material allows more air in, more clean air, more dirty air, more water if you get in that situation. The LAST thing a Jeep needs is more chance of sand, dirt, and water to get into the engine. It is not a street car, it's an off-road vehicle. Off-road vehicles require different things then a street car does.

After talking to the airbox and air filter engineers at work, I am now a little more informed then I use to be. I know that a stock factory air filter is the only way to go. It is more then adiquate for your rigs. If you want to be a bit safer in water, and get a little more performance use a snorkle set up with a sealed box, and a factory type of air filter.
Unread 09-21-2005, 11:17 AM   #22
Blake
Redefining body roll

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerscj7
Pics?

Did mount the box at a higher loaction? Or just 'relocate' the hole in the box.

1999.5 Ford F250
6.8l V10 l Auto l 4WD l 4" Spring Lift | 4.30 Gears | 35" Treadwright MT/R's

Youtube

Twitter
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2005, 11:33 AM   #23
JBassXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8CMENT
I use to be a huge fan of K&N until I did some research on them. They do let more air in. Larger opening in the filter material allows more air in, more clean air, more dirty air, more water if you get in that situation. The LAST thing a Jeep needs is more chance of sand, dirt, and water to get into the engine. It is not a street car, it's an off-road vehicle. Off-road vehicles require different things then a street car does.

After talking to the airbox and air filter engineers at work, I am now a little more informed then I use to be. I know that a stock factory air filter is the only way to go. It is more then adiquate for your rigs. If you want to be a bit safer in water, and get a little more performance use a snorkle set up with a sealed box, and a factory type of air filter.

That makes sense, since my vehicle is more of a pavement warrior, I figured their wouldn't be too much harm in getting a cone filter. And also for protection I wanted to fit it still in the stock air filter box, of course with a tad modification. I've had the jeep in water once, and I wish for that to be the last time (wasn't deep at all, but the stock bald street tires scared me w/ lack of traction). Since I plan on getting some better exhaust I wanted to upgrade the air intake as well for overall better performance no matter how-small it may be. Somethin's always better then nothin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake
Pics or ban.
JBassXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2005, 07:51 AM   #24
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue XJ
What about a K&N or Fram drop in?
Mine seems to work OK--don't know how much of a HP increase there is, milage didn't seem to change any. Watch eBay--got mine (used) for $8 + $6 shipping--it was $40 at Autozone.
Suspension: Old Man Emu 3" lift+OME AAL, JKS adjustable trackbar, QDs, LCAs UCAs, A.C.O.S., DPG Offroad adjustable bumpstop plate, Daystar poly bumpstops.
Steering: Currie HD steering, C-ROK steering box reinforcement, OME stabilizer.
Armor/Recovery: T&T Custom belly skid, Mopar gas tank skid, JKS LCA mini skids, Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders, Mopar 2" receiver, ARB Bull Bar/Ramsey REP 8.5 winch.
Drive train: D30 front axle w/Superior Chromo D30 axles & outter seals, D/S 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, Ruff Stuff cover. Ford 8.8 rear axle w/Superior Super 88 kit, Ford Motor Sports 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, SOLID cover, Russell stainless lines. Front and rear Tom Woods HD drive shafts, 242 x-fer case w/Tom Woods SYE.
Tires/Wheels: 33x10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains on Alcoas.
Misc: Garvin Wilderness rack, Safari Snorkel, Redline Tuning hood lifts.
Awaiting installation: Autometer A pillar gauge pod, oil, water, & tranny temp guages, PIAA driving lights, Goferit tie-rod flip bushing, '95 Brake booster and M/C, M.O.R.E. Motor mounts, TnT Custom 1.5" Shackle.
Stroker Project: HO Block, '99 intake manifold, bored TB, 1" TB spacer, Dynomax Blackjack Header, Permacool electric fan.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2005, 08:22 AM   #25
MontyTJ02
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigAllen
I am thinking of going this route: http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAirFilter.htm

Ive seen those Donaldson Air cleaners on a few commerical lawn mowers. (my father/family has a landscape business) and they work great. On our mowers, Walker MFG, the air cleaner has a little snorkle type thing that sticks up and over the mower body/collection system. Inside the top of the "snorkle" is a little suction driven fan that spins the air flow down the tube and into the filter and then into the motor. It looked pretty efficient to me. Im going to have to try that on my XJ. (I was looking into the cowl induction like on MadXJ's site)
FireFighter's Jeep Club #84

I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Im getting tired of thinking...guess I'll do some wishful drinking.
MontyTJ02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.