New Air Filter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > New Air Filter

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 08-01-2005, 07:32 PM   #1
Rescue XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

New Air Filter

I need a new air filter, what do yall reccomend? What does everyone think about the airaid intake?

4L HO Command track Dana 30 front Chrysler 8.25 rear CarQuest XD shocks, Federal Signal emergency stuff, MCX 1000 DES-XL, TK-940, Astro Spectra W3 encrypted, Magnaflow 18" body, Medical supplies, MREs, Gatoraid, Shovel, MagLite, body armor, grappling hook, annoying squeeking sound from my door, otherwise stock for now.
White Jeep Club Member #911
Code 3 Jeep Club Member #1
Eagle Scout Jeep Club Member #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx50cj3a
Vatozone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Briarwood
I think "that look" is what they teach the chicks in 6th grade when they show them "that film" behind closed doors.
Rescue XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2005, 07:41 PM   #2
Silver TeeJay

I went with the Wal-Mart Air Hog - been great and costs less then the K&N!

[COLOR="Silver"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Silver"]Proud member of the KC Jeep Club![/COLOR][/U][/I][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Silver TeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2005, 07:42 PM   #3
Brandon11130

just but a k&n cone filter. you dont need an air tube or anything it just slides in your stock hose and it stays. i think the cone is 40 bucks or something.

[SIZE="1"] We do not ask for your poor or your hungry. We do not want your tired and sick. It is your corrupt we claim. It is your evil that will be saught by us. With every breath we shall hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood ‘til it rains down from the skies.[/SIZE]
Brandon11130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2005, 07:44 PM   #4
Invictus
2007 JK Wrangler 

I run the Rusty's Airtube with a K&N, and I'm pleased so far. I've got the K&N 6x9 filter, but a 4.5x5 should be available as well. Its quite a bit less expensive to go that route over an intake system from Airraid or K&N and I don't think the results are all that different.
Unread 08-01-2005, 07:47 PM   #5
Rescue XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

My only concern is keeping the filter clean. I get all kinds of mud and dust on the airbox as it is. Id like to keep my fliter dry.
4L HO Command track Dana 30 front Chrysler 8.25 rear CarQuest XD shocks, Federal Signal emergency stuff, MCX 1000 DES-XL, TK-940, Astro Spectra W3 encrypted, Magnaflow 18" body, Medical supplies, MREs, Gatoraid, Shovel, MagLite, body armor, grappling hook, annoying squeeking sound from my door, otherwise stock for now.

Quote:
Vatozone.
Quote:
I think "that look" is what they teach the chicks in 6th grade when they show them "that film" behind closed doors.
Unread 08-01-2005, 07:49 PM   #6
dynamite44

you may want to check with some local salvage yards. i went to a junk yard about 45 minutes away (but it was well-worth the drive) and picked up a K&N FIPK intake for 50$. that sure beats the roughly 250$ retail price for a new one. i was going to blow 50 bucks on one of the rectangular K&Ns that fits in the stock airbox, but thought i'd check the junk yard because i was going there for a drive shaft anyway.
i personally can't tell a difference in performance, but you can hear the engine a little more under heavy throttle, especially with the windows down.
check your junk yard, never know what you'll find
[URL=http://members.cardomain.com/outofcontrol]Cardomain[/URL]
[URL=http://capitaljeeps.com/gallery/dynamite44sgallery]my capitaljeeps.com gallery[/URL]
dynamite44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2005, 07:51 PM   #7
dynamite44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue XJ
My only concern is keeping the filter clean. I get all kinds of mud and dust on the airbox as it is. Id like to keep my fliter dry.
i don't know about keeping it dry, but i know that a few companies make little foam jackets that go over the K&N or "K&N style" conical filters. they're supposed to help keep the big hunks out of the filter, but the K&N filters can be easily cleaned with a 10$ kit avaliable at walmart and most parts stores. I've already cleaned mine once and i don't think i used 1/5th of the kit.
[URL=http://members.cardomain.com/outofcontrol]Cardomain[/URL]
[URL=http://capitaljeeps.com/gallery/dynamite44sgallery]my capitaljeeps.com gallery[/URL]
dynamite44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2005, 08:03 PM   #8
Jeepernick
2008 XJ Cherokee 

Make your own, see my sig for more detail and check out my web site
Jeepernick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2005, 11:24 PM   #9
CraigAllen
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I am thinking of going this route: http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAirFilter.htm
96XJ Sport 4.0 Auto CommandTrac, Chrys. 8.25, 1-3/4" BB, WARN HS9500 winch, WARN Body Armor front & rear bumpers, tire carrier, rock sliders and transfer case skid plate. 30x9.5 BFG Mud-Terrain T/A's. As of March 10, 2011, there are 205K miles on the clock and she's still good and strong!
CraigAllen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2005, 01:24 AM   #10
Blake
Redefining body roll

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I bought a replacement filter for $3 at Autozone. Hood vents = Stock air box.

1999.5 Ford F250
6.8l V10 l Auto l 4WD l 4" Spring Lift | 4.30 Gears | 35" Treadwright MT/R's

Youtube

Twitter
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2005, 02:27 AM   #11
Rescue XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

What about a K&N or Fram drop in?

Quote:
Vatozone.
Quote:
Unread 08-02-2005, 02:43 AM   #12
DreamsOfMoab
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Has anyone seen those like 30" cones from airraid???? I was at TruckFest in Denver... and it was a monster, i guess just chop the hell out of the stock tube and replace it with that... no cone would ever compare..

Edit:...ok ok.. so they are like 14" inches... but still they are huge
Colorado Jeeper #10

Made famous by:
http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274006

Feel free to resurrect that thread at any time :)
DreamsOfMoab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2005, 10:17 AM   #13
Blake
Redefining body roll

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
What about a K&N or Fram drop in?
Most test have shown a 2 hp or less increase. Plus the cotton elements don't filter as well as paper. Plus, I can't justify the price diffrence.

One day I might modify the stock airbox to accept a larger cone-style filter, but I'm lazy.

1999.5 Ford F250
6.8l V10 l Auto l 4WD l 4" Spring Lift | 4.30 Gears | 35" Treadwright MT/R's

Youtube

Twitter
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2005, 10:59 AM   #14
YELLOW XJ
2000 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I need a new air filter, what do yall reccomend? What does everyone think about the airaid intake?
I went with the airaid intake and I like it. It comes with its own box and its really easy to install.
4.5" Rubicon Express lift, 33x10.50" BFG KM2 on black street locks, 4:56 gears, Airaid intake and throttle body spacer, Flowmaster exhaust, AJ Offroad super square rockrails, Factory skidplates and KC lights.
YELLOW XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2005, 11:03 AM   #15
gregmondro

yay for intakes that promise 20hp but realistically just give you more noise and a teeeeeny bit more throttle performance.
99 Jeep XJ - NP231, SYE, 4.56's, Rear D44 w/ Detroit SoftLocker and a RockCrusher Diff Cover, 35x12.5 BFG A/Ts, RE 5.5" XD Lift, Skidrow TC Skid, ORT Rear Bumper + Carrier, Rigidco Front Winch Bumper + Steering Box Plate, Milemarker 8000 Winch, Rock Sliders, HD Currie Steering, Control Arm Skids, Goferit Tie Rod Flip Insert, Optima Red Top and a few other goodies...
FiveZeroFive
XJ 8.25 Rear End Disc Brake Conversion For Sale!
gregmondro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.