Neutral Safety Switch Bypass... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Neutral Safety Switch Bypass...

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-28-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
JeepDrivr93
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Neutral Safety Switch Bypass...

Ok so I am on my second NSS and it has gone bad. I dont feel like buying a new one or trying to get it off b/c it will probably break off like the old one did. I have it bypassed to be able to start it. See picture below.

My question is can I do the same bypass with the rest of pins? I understand that my Jeep could start in any gear but if I am able to bypass it completely then in theory my check engine light will go off, I will have reverse lights again and I will be able to use my cruise control, correct?

Does anyone have a factory service manual and are good with wiring and could help my bypass the NSS completely?

Thanks,
-Nick

1998 Cherokee Classic - SOLD

1993 YJ - SOLD :(
JeepDrivr93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 12:31 PM   #2
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

How could you have reverse lights when you have bypassed the switch?
I dont think you fully understand the whole system, so I would say no, you will NEVER get your reverse lights to work correctly when the switch is bypassed.
As far as the cruise etc goes, if you feel like potentially p'ing off your ecm, go ahead.
I would think myself that fixing the problem is a LOT better than bypassing everything that gives you a headache for 10 minutes....
You have bypassed all you are going to bypass IMHO.

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
lollygagger8
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Are you sure that it just doesn't need adjusted? Mine wouldn't start, and after I adjusted it, it worked great.
Unread 01-28-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
gsxrchaos
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Leftlanetrucking has given the best answer. Your nss is needed, so fix it right and get it back on the road.
You cant bypass it because it will not work in theory... You have two options.. leave it unplugged and have no reverse lights, or bypass it and have your reverse lights on permanently. Thats what your nss does, tells the starter solonoid its ok to start when its either in nuetral or park and when to turn on the rev lights when its in reverse. So unless you hardwire a relay into your prndl switch for your reverse lights, then "no" you cannot bypass the nss and you should fix it.
And as well, if you wire them incorrectly your pcm is going to have a hissy fit and start throwing codes.

Either way, good luck and have fun. cheers
gsxrchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
Bain98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

you could always add a switch to your reverse lights so that you can turn them on manually if you wanted
Bain98xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 03:12 PM   #6
gsxrchaos
1997 XJ Cherokee 

yes a manual toggle switch is an option if its an offroad use only... just wont pass inpection if you drive it on the road.
gsxrchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 04:28 PM   #7
JeepDrivr93
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Okay I see what you are all saying. I was under the impression that if I jump some more pins the computer will think everything is a-ok. Guess not. I just cant justify spending another $150 for a switch that could go bad again. My reverse lights and cruise control are not worth it.

Thanks for the info!

-Nick

Unread 01-30-2010, 02:13 PM   #8
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

My junk had 78k on it when I replaced the NSS. I could have cleaned it, but scored a GOOD deal on one still in the Chrysler bag from a guy on NAXJA.

How often are you going through them exactly? And where are you getting them from?

Martin
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324622

Choose wisely!
Unread 01-31-2010, 09:38 PM   #9
JeepDrivr93
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I purchased mine from ebay. The reason it keeps going bad is partly my fault. When taking the old one off I had to use a air chisel. Well I went a little to hard core and punctured the rubber seal behind the NSS. Well I went to the dealer to find the replacement gasket and it does not exist. Well they gave me an o-ring and said it may work but it did not.

So now it's weeping and got the new NSS coated and is what probably what messed it up. To top it off I am in the same position to get the "new" NSS off as the old one, the thing is stuck on there. If I were to mess with it in the summer and had the money for a new one I would get the old one off and then RTV the **** out of the broken seal.

Any other ideas on how to re-seal the punctured seal please let me know. But for now I will live with the check engine light.

-Nick

Unread 01-31-2010, 09:41 PM   #10
JeepDrivr93
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Did a check on ebay and it seems the price has gone way down for NSS. They are now going for $48.94 shipped. This is good news

Unread 02-02-2010, 09:47 AM   #11
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

You used an air chisel to remove your NSS?
WOW, JUST WOW.
Hopefully
a) You learned a lesson with using too much tool for the job.
b) Didn't completely screw something up with your transmission.

Martin
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324622

Choose wisely!
Unread 02-02-2010, 10:23 AM   #12
shawnzoman
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Air chisel? My reverse lights quit working, so i took it off just using a screwdriver and a little prying, cleaned it, greased it up, and works like a charm. I would much rather do that than buying a new one. But I'm a cheapo.
Unread 02-02-2010, 12:34 PM   #13
Bustedmp
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Once you get the switch off without breaking it, it is very easily cleaned, lubed and reassembled. There is not much in the that actually gets totally worn out, just some springs, contacts, and old dirty stiff grease. On your 98, you really need the switch working properly for the computer system to function the way it was designed.
Unread 02-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #14
Beefcake7777
1999 XJ Cherokee 

if your get the 705 code, or a trans code related to the nss, take it off, only 2 bolts hold it on, and clean it, regrease it with some die-eletric and then when putting it back on, get your jeep up on a lift and put it in reverse. turn the nss switch left and right and then bolt it down right in between where your reverse lights go on, and go off. if its turned to far to the left or right, you will have problems with codes or reverse lights. it just has to be set right
Unread 02-02-2010, 02:47 PM   #15
CharlieMopps
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I always love hearing people from the south with newer XJs telling people from the north with older XJs how easy it is to take things on and off a Jeep. When I got the balljoint to finally break loose on my Jeep my wife literally thought we had had an earthquake. I haven't taken the NSS out but if it's made from metal I'm guessing an air chisel may come in handy.
CharlieMopps is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.