Neutral Safety Switch 97 XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Neutral Safety Switch 97 XJ

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 09-15-2006, 09:31 AM   #1
catalyst319

Neutral Safety Switch 97 XJ

I was using the search utility to find information on this topic,but it appears to be down for quite some time. I am trying to resolve an issue with my neutral switch on my 97 XJ, and had to destroy it to get it off of the transmission. There is still a remnant of the original part on the transmission, and I need some advice on how to remove it. I've mobilized the vehicle by overriding the neutral wire so I can start and drive the vehicle, but the check engine light is on, and throw codes relating to the transmission because of the override. I've since purchased a used neutral switch from a '96, which appears to have an identical housing, with one less wire. Is it possible to re-wire it so it will work with my '97?

Bill
Syracuse,NY

catalyst319 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2006, 02:55 PM   #2
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

I don't think it should be one wire short. I was under the impression that the AW4 NSS were the same through the different years. Was this a brand new part of a junk yard piece?

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2006, 05:35 PM   #3
catalyst319

It look like a junkyard/used piece. I know for sure that the wiring plug is different, but I was hoping that there was a way to fool the computer, or at least hook up most of the necesary wires.

Bill
Unread 09-15-2006, 05:43 PM   #4
GottaBeJeep

Not any help to you, but maybe to me. Why was your NSS difficult to get off? I am trying to take mine off to clean it, but the dang thing won't come off the rectangular post, and I have managed to completely destroy the treaded part around the post, and the NSS still won't come off. I am about to just shatter it to pieces and get a new one, but I still need to get it off that post. Any suggestions? Also, since the search isn't working, how did you bypass the NSS? My XJ won't start at all, and I think it is due to the NSS. I would like to bypass the NSS to see if that is truely the problem.

Thanks for whatever help you may be able to provide.
Unread 09-15-2006, 08:22 PM   #5
mpwal099
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Ok a for sure answer is that NO the '96 NSS can not be rewired. You can get a brand new one from AutoZone for $229. That is about $150 cheaper than anywhere else.

Mine broke off as yours did and I needed to get a dremel on it t cut it off. If you get some PB blaster on that piece and a big flat head screwdriver on it you may be able to pry it off also. It took me the better part of 6 hours total to do my NSS but that was in the winter without a lift to work under.

If I think of anything else I will add it.

HTH!

MIke
Unread 09-15-2006, 08:25 PM   #6
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Marty is it just the end that won't come off? I had to file that down for it to slide off.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2006, 10:39 PM   #7
GottaBeJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by balloo93
Marty is it just the end that won't come off? I had to file that down for it to slide off.
It isn't sliding or even moving on that square stub at all. The NSS is moving around the threaded compression fitting on the square stub, but it is not moving out away from the tranny at all. I did the thing Jason showed on his site where you have the large nut slightly turned out and put the screwdriver between it and the NSS and pry gently against the tranny pan, and I stripped the nut right off, taking all the threads off the fitting. If I could just bypass it to make sure the NSS is or isn't the cause of my XJ not starting, then that would save me a lot of time of trying to take the dang thing off.
GottaBeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2006, 06:36 AM   #8
catalyst319

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBeJeep
Not any help to you, but maybe to me. Why was your NSS difficult to get off? I am trying to take mine off to clean it, but the dang thing won't come off the rectangular post, and I have managed to completely destroy the treaded part around the post, and the NSS still won't come off. I am about to just shatter it to pieces and get a new one, but I still need to get it off that post. Any suggestions? Also, since the search isn't working, how did you bypass the NSS? My XJ won't start at all, and I think it is due to the NSS. I would like to bypass the NSS to see if that is truely the problem.

Thanks for whatever help you may be able to provide.
The main housing separated from the flanged part that goes around the square shaft on the transmission. Even the dealer said that it is common for them to get stuck, and they end up using a dremel or cutoff wheel to remove the rest of it. I'm really not happy about the whole experience so far since I couldn't find the part for less than $120. I got a wiring diagram from the dealer, and the wires that I connected together were black + black/white. This makes the ignition switch circuit complete so that you can start it, but the computer ends up throwing a check engine code because your driving around in neutral.
Unread 09-16-2006, 05:54 PM   #9
catalyst319

The extra wire on the 97 and newer switch is for the overdrive gear. What I ended up doing to get rid of the check engine light is run the overdrive wire to the blue hot/ignition wire. The car will still start with the neutral position wire gounded, and having the power wire hooked up to the OD wire. I had to use some creative cutoff wheel manuevers to get the remnants of the original NSS off, but I think the older (six wire) NSS can be used by hooking up the OD wire where the wire for gear 3 would go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.