Need some info... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Need some info...

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-30-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
joshs1ofakindxj

Need some info...

So I have this paper to write for a manufacturing processes class. I have to take a part and look at the way it is conventionally made and compare it to making it in a "non-traditional" way. I chose to look at the oil pump gears in a 4.0L motor. I assume they're made through cold extrusion (pushing metal through a die to form the gear shape) and I am going to suggest they be made with wire E.D.M (electrical discharge machinging).

What I'm looking for would be anyone that would have a contact for an operator or engineer that has had anything to do with extrusion molding and I'm looking for any information regarding the metallurgy of the gears or even just the name of the company that would have manufactured those gears.

This paper needs a lot of details and it sucks.

Thanks.

joshs1ofakindxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2008, 10:42 AM   #2
joshs1ofakindxj

anybody know anything?
Unread 01-31-2008, 11:29 AM   #3
alwaysready
2000 XJ Cherokee 

theres prolly only 2 people in the us that would know that for the 4.0 liter.
maybe 1 in china too,(aftermarket).

And i think extruding and cutting off the gears would be alot quicker.( i could be wrong)
it would be less waste versus EDM cutting out of a sheet..
Warn Winch bumper
Smittybuilt Winch
Aj's Super Rock Rails
Black XJ on Moabs Club Member #1 :D
alwaysready is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2008, 06:16 PM   #4
joshs1ofakindxj

Not EDMing out of a sheet but using a 40" long piece of round stock or a someting shorter than that and cuting the gears into that then cutting to length. There is material waste from turning the ends of the gears to get them flat after cutting them to legth after extrusion and I'm sure cutting the gears to length with wire EDM would be beter but I don't know about the gear cutting waste. Also consider that the wire EDM will cut the ears more accurately and you can market them as "high performance"

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.