Need some help troubleshooting. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Need some help troubleshooting.

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 06-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
panamah_r3d
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Need some help troubleshooting.

Well here's the back ground I was trying to get my j10 running and troubleshooting that when the Cherokee took a dump too. I swapped my cherokee battery into the j10 to confirm that was the problem with that (which it was). But when I put the battery back in the Cherokee that thing won't start now.

Here's what it's doing:
Has power when you turn ignition over to accessory. When I turn the key to start it only engages the starter (can here it engage/spin). But won't actually crank the motor over.

Here's what I've troubleshooted:
- pulled the starter and got that tested (came back fine)
- still bought a new starter to just make sure and when I put the new one in, I still have the same issue/noise.
- got the battery tested and that came back moderate. So I haven't actually bought a new one yet. Might swap the new j10 battery in tomorrow to test that.
- pulled the crankshaft positioning sensor off and cleaned that up a bit. (Could only really wipe it off)
- checked the ring gear and the teeth aren't stripped on that.
- tried putting it in neutral and starting it. No luck.

That's where I'm at with it now. Still doing the same thing. Not sure exactly where to go now. Not sure if I should get a new CPS to see if that is it? Or the battery? Or could it be a neutral switch that won't let it engage to the ring gear? I have had some issues with that before but hasn't been acting up lately so not sure if that would cause this.

Any ideas?

!don't hug that tree...I'm about to run it over!
panamah_r3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
lazyxj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Make sure the battery cables and terminals are clean and tight.
Try a known good battery.
If the starter cliicks but doesn't turn the engine over, the problem most likely is in the battery, cables or starter.
You have already had the starter checked but bench testing isn't the same as actual use.
2001 Sport, 4" lift, 33 X 10.50 KOs, R.E. DB, R.E.-UCA, JKS-LCA, ACOS, 8.25-4.56-TruTrac, SYE, D-30 E-locker w/alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
lazyxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 12:51 AM   #3
1SICKMJ

x2 on cables and connections. Ive had my MJ give me issues with grime and oil on the starter connections.
Unread 06-03-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
panamah_r3d
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the advice.

The starter doesn't actually click. It whines which tells me it is spinning the start pinion but not connecting to the ring gear to turn the motor over.

Am I off on thinking that?
Unread 06-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
panamah_r3d
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Anyone else have any ideas to throw out?
Unread 06-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #6
wgirvine
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Starter spins but does not crank engine...
(1) mechanism inside starter that throws gear out to engage ring gear is busted. Replace starter. Or...
(2) one-way clutch on starter gear is slipping. Replace starter. Or...
(3) ring gear is stripped. Replace flywheel/flexplate.

But you said the ring gear is fine, and you have replaced the starter. Hmmm... I have no idea.

And you said you removed the CPS. How did you adjust the clearance to the flexplate when you reinstalled?
Unread 06-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #7
panamah_r3d
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Well that's a good point. I didn't account for the clearance to the flex plate. I never really knew if there was a way to check that or I it had to be set at a certain distance.

Does anyone have a spec on that? Use just a feeler gauge maybe?
Unread 06-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

The CPS is plug n' play. You don't need to adjust it. Even with that, the tell tale symptom of a bad CPS is crank and crank and crank. Since you're not even cranking, that is not your problem. The starter solenoid is suspect here...as is the battery, AND the connections. Just because the lights and bells come on does not mean there's enough juice to turn the engine over. "Moderate" is not "good". Swap out the battery, see if it helps...or at least jump it, or put it on a charger overnight.

P.S Do you know where I can get a t-shirt that says "STATE COLLEGE"
Unread 06-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
panamah_r3d
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I thought that the CPS was a plug and play. I can barely get my dang hand up there to get it off let alone a feeler gauge.

Well.....I got it running today. Another stupid solution... Replaced the negative battery terminal cleaned all the connection on the starter and there ya go. Starts up.

Thanks everyone for the help and the ideas.

ParadiseXJ. Do you just want a shirt that simply says "State College" on it? I can't say I've ever seen any around. "Happy Valley" is usually what people get lol.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.