Need Some Direction - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Need Some Direction

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-24-2005, 10:30 PM   #1
Moose_God
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Need Some Direction

Well, I've got about $250 to spend on jeep stuff right now. Goals for the summer include stacking a 3" lift on top of my BB, Cragar rims (trying to decide between black and chrome) and 33x12.50s. If I can find a parts jeep, the 4wd swap would take priority, but so far that's been a no go. Any suggestions what I should do first? Do you absolutely need new lower control arms with ~5" of lift? And would that much lift on stock 5-spoke rims with 30x9.50s look goofy?

94 Cherokee Sport 4wd (converted from 2wd), AW4, NP231 w/SYE, 6" bastard lift, RC drop brackets, IRO trackbar, 33x12.5 Goodyear MTRs, HDoffroad subframe connectors, prerunner front bumper, homebrew rear bumper, flowmaster 40, 96 booster swap., upgraded headlight harness, 4.56 gears (finally!!!)
Moose_God is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2005, 01:22 AM   #2
Godchaser490

if you are 2wd wheeling I would make getting 4wd a priority. Sure I wheel in 2wd until I get stuck, then 4wd gets me out. I wouldn't suggest getting another 3 inches, at 5 inches you're gonna need more than LCAs, you're gonna need a track bar, SYE and driveshafts amoung other things.
take the 250 and pick up some skids or recovery stuff if you haven't got them, if you have, look into going 4wd.

Military Wheelers... Clicky!
[url]http://warrioroffroad.org/forums/index.php[/url]
Godchaser490 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2005, 08:38 AM   #3
MontyTJ02
2008 JK Wrangler 

If you dont want to go 4WD make sure to get a locker for that rear end. Then you might not need 4WD. Recovery parts are a must for any Jeep, 4WD or 2WD.
FireFighter's Jeep Club #84

I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Im getting tired of thinking...guess I'll do some wishful drinking.
MontyTJ02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2005, 08:48 AM   #4
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

I would say beef up with skids, and upgrade to a dual diaphram, Master Cylinder for the brakes. The older ones are single diaphram, and it gets the job done stock, but even with 31's you'll want to upgrade to a 95+ for better braking.

If you plan on a pre runner set up, you can get away with a 2wd. A locker would be a nice upgrade, but a good one will run you about $300-400.

If you plan on any "technical" trails, at least a winch up front or a 4wd conversion.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2005, 09:12 AM   #5
asatxj
2001 WJ 

I have some chrome soft 8's that I'll sell you! New are $44 from qtec. If you're close you can have them for $35 each
ASAT= All Season All Terrain
asatxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2005, 09:19 AM   #6
Dannyboy18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godchaser490
if you are 2wd wheeling I would make getting 4wd a priority. Sure I wheel in 2wd until I get stuck, then 4wd gets me out. I wouldn't suggest getting another 3 inches, at 5 inches you're gonna need more than LCAs, you're gonna need a track bar, SYE and driveshafts amoung other things.
take the 250 and pick up some skids or recovery stuff if you haven't got them, if you have, look into going 4wd.
Ditto. I needed an SYE/CV with my 3.5" RE lift (actually slightly more than 4" when installed since I got full packs). Plus, even with relocating the stock trackbar, my front tires about an inch uneven under the body; in other words, I now need a new adjustable track bar.

So, I'd really reconsider what you want to get. Make sure you have the cash to do everything right the FIRST time around.

Also, I'd try to get a locker for the rear; that will help you wheel a lot better since you are a 2WD.

--Dan.
AR Baja Alloy Wheels - 15x8 + Bridgestone Dueler Revo A/Ts - 31x10.50x15
TeraFlex Adj. Trackbar + TeraFlex Quick Disconnects & WARN T-case skid
Dannyboy18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2005, 12:40 PM   #7
Moose_God
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Well, I've got recovery points front and rear. Skids might be coming soon, but by means of my own sweat, blood, and MIG wire. Locker is definately going in sometime in the future. The brake booster swap is a good idea, I might have to look into that one. I guess I probably should have phrased this thread different. Which 3 (lift, tires, wheels) should I do first? SYE wouldn't be necessary or even possible for me, being 2wd and all. Maybe a 1" x-member drop, and some shims. Probably will be going with the pre-runner setup, even if I convert to 4wd on down the road.

Oh, and asatxj, do those chrome 8's have center caps? What's the BS on them? And most importantly, will you ship to OK?
94 Cherokee Sport 4wd (converted from 2wd), AW4, NP231 w/SYE, 6" bastard lift, RC drop brackets, IRO trackbar, 33x12.5 Goodyear MTRs, HDoffroad subframe connectors, prerunner front bumper, homebrew rear bumper, flowmaster 40, 96 booster swap., upgraded headlight harness, 4.56 gears (finally!!!)
Moose_God is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2005, 12:46 PM   #8
MDP_JeepN

What brake booster would you reccomend?
MDP_JeepN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.