Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Need to replace radiator; what should I go with?

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  rc76 
#1 ·
I need a new radiator on my 2000 Xj w/ 120,000. Lower passenger side corner is cracked or something (checked all my hoses first); coolant just drips out. which aftermarket radiator should I buy? my budget is finite, but I'll pay for a quality part. Also, can I, the weekend mechanic replace it?
thanks

#2 ·
don't know how "aftermarket" you're looking to go, but I'd suggest 1-800-radiator. May sound like a silly suggestion, but they were ALWAYS cheaper than Autozone (where I worked), and we were always right around the same as the others (O'Reilly's and Advanced). IIRC they carry a lifetime warranty, too. check em out at www.radiator.com/index.php

and a radiator is easily one of the simplest parts to replace on most vehicles.

#3 ·
ive heard from others that gdi's 3 core radiator is a good replacement over the stock unit, especially if you tow things or travel through different elevations (mountains and such). you could also go with any one of the units that are listed on ebay, your call.

#6 ·
I have a GDI three row radiator. Yesterday it really shined when I was out wheelin. We were in about 8" of snow with my all terrains and open/open axles. I was pretty much on the gas the entire time, especially getting up some long hills with a moderate pitch to them. When we got to the top I was dam near overheated. I opened the hood and it cooled down from almost 260 to 210 in a matter of 5 minutes. We had to wait a half hour for two other rigs to cool down. No other performance parts in my cooling system.

#7 ·
I just got done installing an Active Performance Radiator in my 2000 XJ. I called them up, bypassed Quadratec and had them remove the factory Trans cooler....Since I was also installing a B&M unit at the same time.

Its all aluminum, 2 row radiator. It was very nice and I have been pleased with it ever since. I will say, however, it took some shoe-horning to get it into the mounts. It was a tight fit...but that is expected with aftermarket parts.

#8 ·
I just did a 3-core CSF (Full metal) from RadiatorBarn.com for $164 shipped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.