Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Need to replace IAC; cables on throttle body??

662 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  myth assassin 
#1 ·
Hi, all! I think I need to replace the IAC (idle air control valve) because of serious fluctuations in idle when it's hot (drops to near stall, then over-revs, then low again). The IAC was replace less than a year ago by the local shop, but I think I got a bad one. So, I think I need to replace it again to try to solve my long-running idle issues.

The manual says that I should remove the throttle body to get at the IAC, but I noticed that there are a couple cables attached to the throttle body. How do I remove these cables without adversely affecting anything else? Is there some sort of retensioning procedure I have to go through afterward? I can't find anything in Haynes about these two cables...

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome!
SteveB

#2 ·
I'm pretty sure I left the TB on when I replaced the IAC on my '95. But there might be a problem with access to the bottom mounting bolt....

Not sure which cables you're referring to.... There are the throttle cables and some electrical connectors to that hook to the TB. You can leave the throttle cables attached if you're not comfortable taking them off and the electrical connectors are unique to each component and only go back on one way.

#4 ·
I just did this few days ago..to clean my IAC. The easiest way i think is to unscrew the 4 bolts holding your throttle body on your manifold. Then unhook the 3 or 4 electric connectors..(they just click in and out easily) and lift the throttle body up with the lines still attatched. Just be careful you don't pull them or twist them too much, then slightly turn it and you have access to the IAC screws much easier.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.