Need to replace downshift (TV) cable. Any adivce? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Need to replace downshift (TV) cable. Any adivce?

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can

Unread 01-07-2014, 09:02 AM   #1
SKELITOR117
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Need to replace downshift (TV) cable. Any adivce?

Like the title says, I need to replace the downshift linkage that links the throttle body with the transmission telling it when to shift. The line is starting to fray pretty bad and I want to replace it before it snaps. I can't find any instruction on how to replace it online or in my instruction manual, all the ones I've found are for the 700R4, and from what I've been told there are a few things I have to take off to get to the trans end of it. Any help? Thanks mates

SKELITOR117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 11:10 AM   #2
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKELITOR117 View Post
Like the title says, I need to replace the downshift linkage that links the throttle body with the transmission telling it when to shift. The line is starting to fray pretty bad and I want to replace it before it snaps. I can't find any instruction on how to replace it online or in my instruction manual, all the ones I've found are for the 700R4, and from what I've been told there are a few things I have to take off to get to the trans end of it. Any help? Thanks mates
If you have a heated garage to work in you can give it go. If you're working outdoors you may want to hold off replacing it.

Basically, it involves dropping the trans oil pan to get at the throttle cable attachment to the cable bracket under the pan.

I can post some instructions from the FSM if you want to tackle this job right now.

Man who stands in front of Jeep gets tired. Man who stands behind Jeep gets exhausted.
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #3
qleem
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Did this a couple of weeks ago.
  1. drain the trans pan
  2. jack the front end
  3. jack the trans pan and remove the xmember
  4. jack the xmember mount and remove the trans pan
  5. clean the trans pan gasket and any crud
  6. remove the trans pan by splitting the filler tube (see note 1)
  7. disconnect the cable in the engine bay
  8. remove the cable bracket from the top LH of the transmission
  9. disconnect the cable from inside the trans
  10. thread the new cable in from the engine bay
  11. install a new trans pan gasket and reassemble everything
  12. fill with dex/merc III

notes
  1. the o-ring is probably rusted shut. the easiest way is to use a micro tubing cutter, a piece of fuel hose, and two cable clamps. Link: http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/aw4-...16/#post725546
  2. don't overtorque the trans pan bolts, they will strip very easily. start in the center of the long edges and work your way out to the ends, alternating sides
  3. once installed, it's easiest to cut the old cable in half and pull it out of the zipties. the ties on top of the trans are pretty much inaccessible while it's installed
  4. you'll want at least 1 bottle jack and three jack stands
  5. the TV cable is listed with the wrong part number in many places. I got mine from factorychryslerparts CABLE. Throttle Control. 52077578 $41.18 + $13 S&H

Allow 6 hours, could probably do it again in 2 if I had to.

FSM steps:
(1) In engine compartment, disconnect cable from throttle linkage. Then compress cable mounting ears and remove cable from engine bracket (Fig. 79).
(2) Raise vehicle.
(3) Remove transmission oil pan.
(4) Disengage cable from throttle valve cam (Fig.
80).
(5) Remove cable bracket bolt and remove cable and bracket from case (Fig. 81).
(6) Remove and discard cable seal.
INSTALLATION
(1) Lubricate and install new seal on cable.
(2) Insert cable in transmission case.
(3) Attach cable to throttle cam (Fig. 80).
(4) Install cable bracket on case and tighten attaching bolt to 10 N∑m (7 ft. lbs.) torque (Fig. 81).
(5) Install pan and tighten pan bolts to 7 N∑m (65 in. lbs.) torque.
(6) Install new gasket on oil pan drain plug. Install and tighten plug to 20 N∑m (15 ft. lbs.) torque.
(7) Connect cable to engine bracket and throttle
linkage.
(8) Fill transmission with Mopar􏰀 Dexron/Mercon IIE.
(9) Adjust the cable as described in cable adjustment procedure.
qleem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2014, 11:23 AM   #4
SKELITOR117
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Sweet. Thanks guys. Hopefully this will save me some money from taking it to the shop. It's not bad here in Texas. It usually fluctuates between 30 and 75 degrees here and its warmer right now.
Unread 01-11-2014, 12:01 PM   #5
SKELITOR117
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by qleem View Post
Did this a couple of weeks ago.

Allow 6 hours, could probably do it again in 2 if I had to.

FSM steps:
(1) In engine compartment, disconnect cable from throttle linkage. Then compress cable mounting ears and remove cable from engine bracket (Fig. 79).
(2) Raise vehicle.
(3) Remove transmission oil pan.
(4) Disengage cable from throttle valve cam (Fig.
80).
(5) Remove cable bracket bolt and remove cable and bracket from case (Fig. 81).
(6) Remove and discard cable seal.
INSTALLATION
(1) Lubricate and install new seal on cable.
(2) Insert cable in transmission case.
(3) Attach cable to throttle cam (Fig. 80).
(4) Install cable bracket on case and tighten attaching bolt to 10 N∑m (7 ft. lbs.) torque (Fig. 81).
(5) Install pan and tighten pan bolts to 7 N∑m (65 in. lbs.) torque.
(6) Install new gasket on oil pan drain plug. Install and tighten plug to 20 N∑m (15 ft. lbs.) torque.
(7) Connect cable to engine bracket and throttle
linkage.
(8) Fill transmission with Mopar􏰀 Dexron/Mercon IIE.
(9) Adjust the cable as described in cable adjustment procedure.

Just a quick question though, what do you mean by FSM steps? Is this all the reinstalling fine points? I've had a head cold or something the past few days and having problems with understanding and paying attention haha. Also, how much is a tq. wrench? My dad has some wrenches but I don't know if any of them are tq wrenches. I never really got the concept behind how you set them. Anyway thanks for the info. Better than anything I could find on the web, or in any manual I could get my hands on.
Unread 01-13-2014, 02:53 PM   #6
qleem
1999 XJ Cherokee 

FSM is the factory service manual. I have a pdf of the 97 one, these are the steps from there. They are useful in that they include torque and order, but often omit important details (e.g. that your transmission oil pan won't come off if the o-ring in the dipstick is seized.

Torque wrench can be cheap or expensive. I got a used facom s203A for $25 at a boating goods consignment store. Quality matters, but age not so much
qleem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 03:17 PM   #7
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKELITOR117 View Post
Just a quick question though, what do you mean by FSM steps? Is this all the reinstalling fine points? I've had a head cold or something the past few days and having problems with understanding and paying attention haha. Also, how much is a tq. wrench? My dad has some wrenches but I don't know if any of them are tq wrenches. I never really got the concept behind how you set them. Anyway thanks for the info. Better than anything I could find on the web, or in any manual I could get my hands on.
Here's images from the Factory Service Manual for this task.

Man who stands in front of Jeep gets tired. Man who stands behind Jeep gets exhausted.
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2014, 09:18 AM   #8
SKELITOR117
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Sweet thanks!
Unread 01-18-2014, 01:48 PM   #9
SKELITOR117
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The Adjuster isn't working on the new wire, and I can't get the wire to reach all the way to the throttle cable when it's plugged into the bracket next to the throttle body. By all means it appears to be the same cable as the old one. I got it from here http://www.jeep4x4center.com/acceler...-52077578.html.
Unread 01-20-2014, 08:43 PM   #10
SKELITOR117
2000 XJ Cherokee 

NVM. Got it free and was able to fully adjust it forward. Works Great now.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.