Did this a couple of weeks ago.
- drain the trans pan
- jack the front end
- jack the trans pan and remove the xmember
- jack the xmember mount and remove the trans pan
- clean the trans pan gasket and any crud
- remove the trans pan by splitting the filler tube (see note 1)
- disconnect the cable in the engine bay
- remove the cable bracket from the top LH of the transmission
- disconnect the cable from inside the trans
- thread the new cable in from the engine bay
- install a new trans pan gasket and reassemble everything
- fill with dex/merc III
- the o-ring is probably rusted shut. the easiest way is to use a micro tubing cutter, a piece of fuel hose, and two cable clamps. Link: http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/aw4-...16/#post725546
- don't overtorque the trans pan bolts, they will strip very easily. start in the center of the long edges and work your way out to the ends, alternating sides
- once installed, it's easiest to cut the old cable in half and pull it out of the zipties. the ties on top of the trans are pretty much inaccessible while it's installed
- you'll want at least 1 bottle jack and three jack stands
- the TV cable is listed with the wrong part number in many places. I got mine from factorychryslerparts CABLE. Throttle Control. 52077578 $41.18 + $13 S&H
Allow 6 hours, could probably do it again in 2 if I had to.
(1) In engine compartment, disconnect cable from throttle linkage. Then compress cable mounting ears and remove cable from engine bracket (Fig. 79).
(2) Raise vehicle.
(3) Remove transmission oil pan.
(4) Disengage cable from throttle valve cam (Fig.
(5) Remove cable bracket bolt and remove cable and bracket from case (Fig. 81).
(6) Remove and discard cable seal.
(1) Lubricate and install new seal on cable.
(2) Insert cable in transmission case.
(3) Attach cable to throttle cam (Fig. 80).
(4) Install cable bracket on case and tighten attaching bolt to 10 N∑m (7 ft. lbs.) torque (Fig. 81).
(5) Install pan and tighten pan bolts to 7 N∑m (65 in. lbs.) torque.
(6) Install new gasket on oil pan drain plug. Install and tighten plug to 20 N∑m (15 ft. lbs.) torque.
(7) Connect cable to engine bracket and throttle
(8) Fill transmission with Mopar Dexron/Mercon IIE.
(9) Adjust the cable as described in cable adjustment procedure.