Need to replace the alternator and thermostat... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Need to replace the alternator and thermostat...

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-18-2010, 07:10 AM   #1
Yojimbo

Need to replace the alternator and thermostat...

I need to replace the alternator and thermostat in my 92 Cherokee Laredo. Can anyone point me to any threads or links that will give me instructions and helpful tips on how to do these replacements?

I will probably be getting the alternator from Advanced Auto or AutoZone. Are there any particular brands or models that are reccomended? Which ones should I avoid?

I will probably also change my upper and lower radiator hoses as well. When I purchased the upper and lower hose I only got to larger diameter hoses. Now I see there is a smaller diameter hose attached next to the upper radiator hose on the thermostat housing. What is this hose called and what size is it?

Thanks!

Yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2010, 07:33 AM   #2
portcityXJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Both are just this:

Unbolt

Replace

Just make sure you have the t-stat facing the right way. Pay attention to the old one when you take it out for orientation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricRollerSkate View Post
Do they come in any other varieties besides crap?
portcityXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2010, 07:40 AM   #3
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Replacing you thermostat is very easy, its located at the top of the block at the front of the motor. Just about any brand from the major brand auto parts stores will do. I replaced my 210* thermostat for a 195* one and haven't had any problems. I believe the thermostat attaches with two bolts, just be sure to clean the gasket mating surface really well before re attaching it.

As for the alternator, its located on the passenger side of the block at the bottom of the engine bay. Its easily reach from below the jeep. (You may have to remove you drip shield if you still have the rubber liner from the factory.) The alternator itself is held on by three or four bolts. But to get the alternator out you will most likely have to remove the thin metal bracket that attaches to the block. To get the alternator to come all the way out you may have to loosen the belt to get the alternator out. Then just unplug it and remove the grounding wire. Should be good to go. Replacing your alternator and thermostat will most likely take a few hours, but you will learn alot doing it.

A word of advice on the alternator, buy an alternator that comes with a lifetime warranty. Since our alternators are located so low in the engine bay, they take alot of abuse from water, mud, snow, rocks, etc. So get one that you can take back and replace easily.

-Brendan
4.6L Golen Engine Stroker

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer
bmyohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
Yojimbo

Thanks for the replies!

Are there any special tools needed to do these jobs? Does anyone know what size bolts are used on the alternator and thermostat housing?
Yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2010, 02:20 PM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Buy good quality parts from O'Reilly or NAPA. Advance and IdiotZone sell cheap parts. A lifetime warranty on a cheap part isn't much good if you spend the rest of your lifetime running to the parts store to exchange your now dead cheap part for another one.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2010, 02:35 PM   #6
menace2

Disconnect the positive battery cable before you remove the alternator. Otherwise you may be arc welding with the big wire.
menace2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2010, 03:20 PM   #7
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by menace2 View Post
Disconnect the positive battery cable before you remove the alternator.
Disconnecting the ground cable is the "industry standard" procedure.
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2010, 03:51 PM   #8
menace2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangofox007 View Post
Yeah, but some people don't know that. Don't want him to learn the hard way.
Unread 08-18-2010, 03:51 PM   #9
dennis461
1991 XJ Cherokee 

battery comes out first

1991XJ here.
I've found the alternator easier to get out by removing the battery and battery tray.

Yes, unbolt wires from underneath.
But there was no way mine was coming out from under and with 6" lift.
dennis461 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2010, 05:45 PM   #10
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by menace2 View Post
Yeah, but some people don't know that.
Allow me to rephrase my previous statement:

tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2010, 06:02 PM   #11
menace2

Righto. Ground cable first gives less chance of sparking/arcing as the clamp is removed. Duh on me.
Unread 08-18-2010, 07:20 PM   #12
Carves
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmyohn View Post
I replaced my 210* thermostat for a 195* one and haven't had any problems.

Just out of interest ......

How did you end up with a 210' thermostat in there ???
Carves is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
alternator , instructions , thermostat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.