Need opinions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Need opinions

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
JosHeis
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Need opinions

So I've been having a fuel issue and am getting no mpg right now like maybe 10mpg at the most on highway. I also am hearing air under the hood when I rev at idle or when I take off/ shift (sounds like a semi shifting) and rough idle off and on. Now someone told me on here my fuel issue could be vacuum line related. Is it possible that a vacuum line broke, is causing the rushing air noise (very low toned and loud), rough idle, and the fuel issue? Thanks ahead, Joe.

JosHeis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
2drlongarm
1990 XJ Cherokee 

make sure to check all your vacuum lines im pretty sure this is whats making it run this way even a slight pin hole could make it do this kind of thing
2drlongarm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
JosHeis
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Will do, I was thinking that same thing. Also I got one other question. My steering gearbox is leaking, it's soaked with fluid down the side but the power steering reservoir is still full isn't that what feeds the gear box? I'm not having any steering issues so how long could I let this go? Should I just go ahead and get the Durango steering box as a replacement?
Unread 02-19-2011, 10:17 PM   #4
tbburg
2000 XJ Cherokee 

For fuel: first, make sure your warming up. Engine should be operating in the 205-210 range. If anyone has put a low temp thermostat in, the engine's running "open loop" all the time. Also check the temp sensor. If it's failed, it can also cause the same problem.

Check/change your O2 sensors. As the sensor goes bad, it will work well enough to keep from throwing a code, but gives a false "lean" reading, and the computer tosses more fuel into the mix.

Power steering: Is it leaving a puddle? If not, just watch the level and leave it alone. Deal with it when it starts to drip. You might want to clean the area really well and confirm the leak location. It might just be a loose fitting or pin-hole in a hose.
Unread 02-20-2011, 10:19 AM   #5
JosHeis
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Alright I'll check the o2 sensor, the thermostat and temp sensor I know are working because when the temp sensor got bad in my grand cherokee the engine light was on almost immediately. But I will check the temp sensor, thanks for the advice.

Tags
air , cherokee , fuel , intake , vacuum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.