Need info on correct sway bar end links to purchase? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Need info on correct sway bar end links to purchase?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
ttrevino
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Need info on correct sway bar end links to purchase?

I have a '98 XJ with a 4-1/2" lift. The original front sway bar was not on the Jeep when I bought it, but I just installed a salvage one this weekend. So with that, I'm not sure what degree (horizontally) it should be set to, in order to measure the distance from the bar mounting point to the axle mounting point. When I line up the sway bar horizontally level, and measure center to center to the mounting points on the axle, it's 12". Can you please tell me if this is the correct way to measure? And if so, any suggestions for where to buy these extended links? I don't really care if they are quick discos.

Also, I bought a rear sway bar, but my XJ has a Ford Explorer rear end, and the mounting brackets on the factory bar are more narrow than what my axle has on it. Any suggestions on where to get the correct mounts for this, and do I need extended bar end links for this as well? Thanks, Tony

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chopped...in/photostream

ttrevino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
grainofsalt
1998 XJ Cherokee 

For the front I think that it's about 15 degrees up from level.

Depending on how stiff the rear is you may not need a rear sway bar. Do you know what lift kit is on the XJ?
Unread 11-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

The angle doesn't really matter, as long as each side is the same. The reason you want it LOW is so the top of the sway bar doesn't try to bash its way through the inner fender
As for where to buy:
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=cherokee+sway+bar+links
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The sway bar angle somewhat important, you want 10* up on the front sway bar ends, just like stock.
See the JKS website - http://www.jksmfg.com/support/instal...-2001-2002.pdf

You can leave the rear sway bar in the corner of the garage. You lift kit leaf springs are stiff enough that you won't need it.

4e4.jpg  

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 07:31 AM   #5
ttrevino
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not sure what type of lift kit is has on it, the PO just said it was a 4-1/2" lift. What I'm trying to fix is when I hit bumps, I'm bouncing all over the place inside the truck. My son calls it Chitty Chitty Bang Bang! I can hit a small bump at just about any speed, and it can bounce me high enough to hit my head on the roof. I'm hoping installing the sway bars will help that?
I don't know if maybe he put on too stiff of leaf springs, or maybe used the wrong shackles?I did notice when looking at some salvage XJs that their leaf springs look thinner and less heavy duty than these. The rear axle is from a '98+/- Explorer, but I looked at those while at the salvage yard too, and their leaf springs don't look this heavy duty either, so maybe that's it?

I'm new to lifted suspensions, so I'm not sure the right direction to go for a better ride.

Thanks for the help, I really need it.

Unread 11-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
grainofsalt
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like worn shock absorbers to me. But You definitely want to put on the front sway bar, Not having it is dangerous.

Just my .02
Unread 11-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #7
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

It's POSSIBLE the springs are too stiff, but probable that the shocks are worn.

Can you, carefully, stand on the rear bumper and get the rear end to bounce?

As for sway bars, I drove for a month w/o mine hooked up. It's perfectly SAFE, as long as you keep your head out of your rectum
Unread 11-15-2012, 07:52 AM   #8
ttrevino
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I replaced the rear shocks in the last couple of months with some Skyjackers, thinking it was the shocks being bad. That didn't improve it at all. I'm still leaning towards the leaf springs but am not sure.

I've been driving it without sway bars since I bought it in April. So far, my head has remainded where it needs to be....
However, I am concerned if I hit too large a bump, or something out of my control happens, and causes a wreck. That's the main reason I'm trying to figure this out.
Unread 11-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #9
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I just tried to get my rear springs to "bounce" by jumping on my hitch, and it was rather stiff. I don't think I got more than an inch or two of movement.
This might not be a good way to test the stiffness of your springs.

And, yeah, in an emergency situation you might get into trouble if you had to do some hard maneuvering w/o the front swaybar.
I just drove carefully, and avoided speeding down canyon roads
Unread 11-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #10
ttrevino
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I emailed the PO, and he said the rear springs are "4 inch lift springs", which are stiffer than stock. sAe23, that's how I usually test for shock wear, but even with the older shocks I replaced this year, there wasn't excessive bounce when sitting still. It's only when I'm driving, hitting bumps in the road that it'll bounce hard. It's gotta be from the heavier springs. I might just have to add some extra rear end weight, (thinking of a heavy-duty bumper with spare tire carrier!), maybe that'll help.
Unread 11-16-2012, 01:09 AM   #11
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, several 50LBS bags of cement/fertilizer/dog food would be a good test

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.