Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Need help. Tranny doesn't shift out of low gear. Even with new trans.

813 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  cutter1024 
#1 ·
Ok, have a problem. I have a 2000 XJ. Was cruising on the highway and all of a sudden everything with to neutral. I thought my buddy hit the shifter in N, but he didn't. Finally engaged after playing with the shifter at a complete stop, but as soon as you start to go, it revvs a little, then catches and shifts 2 times pretty quick, and that's it. Top speed is 35mph and doesn't shift past that. I figured it was a tranny.

I bought a good low miles tranny and put it in. Figured it would be fixed. It's still doing the same exact thing. Also reverse has a double clunk when put into gear, and I can hear a whine coming from the front. I replaced the TPS as heard it can cause tranny problems. No change... any ideas?? The garage I took it too didn't even have an idea.

Thanks

#2 ·
Ok, have a problem. I have a 2000 XJ. Was cruising on the highway and all of a sudden everything with to neutral. I thought my buddy hit the shifter in N, but he didn't. Finally engaged after playing with the shifter at a complete stop, but as soon as you start to go, it revvs a little, then catches and shifts 2 times pretty quick, and that's it. Top speed is 35mph and doesn't shift past that. I figured it was a tranny.

I bought a good low miles tranny and put it in. Figured it would be fixed. It's still doing the same exact thing. Also reverse has a double clunk when put into gear, and I can hear a whine coming from the front. I replaced the TPS as heard it can cause tranny problems. No change... any ideas?? The garage I took it too didn't even have an idea.

Thanks
Try manually shifting the trans by disconnecting the transmission control module under the dash above your right foot and starting in 1-2 and working your way up. If it shifts through each gear smoothly that way, then its probably your TCM.

#4 ·
Did the other trans have its own sensors? Or did you use the ones from your old trans? The reverse having problems sends ???. It is a manual gear. Still, disconnect the TCU. Also, try and adjust the trans kick down cable. Could be the TCU, but is rare. Check the battery voltage.

#6 ·
Disconnected TCM and no change. Ran the obdII scanner and came up 2-3 solenoid circuit P0758

I'm thinking that's a stored cored from previous tranny... even though, why would the new one be having the exact same problem if both trans had their own solenoids. Makes me think if they really did swap the tranny out.

#7 ·
Just called the garage and said I was welcome to come pick up the old tranny. So checked it out and tranny was swapped, and they didn't touch the solenoids or swapped any other sensors. They also cleared codes but the 2-3 solenoid circuit is back. What else can cause that code if the solenoid is good?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.