need help timing issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > need help timing issue

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 12-13-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
supernova427
1991 XJ Cherokee 

need help timing issue

For starters I'm new to jeep forum and this is my first post so I hope its in the right spot. A few days ago when I went to start my jeep and it took about 6 seconds to start and as soon as it did it made a large backfire from the exhaust but ran fine. That night when I started it at work just before it fired up it acted like it was in a bind as if out of time but again fired up and ran just fine but the next morning it done the same only this time it didn't crank up just kept in acting like it was out of timing and would backfire from the exhaust. I've not had the chance to put it to TDC yet but I don't believe my timing chain is the problem. What else would cause this? Its a 91 cherokee 4.0 5 speed. Thanks for any help

supernova427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Are all the tune-up parts fresh ? Have you tested the ignition coil ? Any leaky fuel injectors ? Have you tested the fuel pressure ? Have you checked the timing to see where it is at ?

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #3
supernova427
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I had a good coil I just put on it because I seen my other one was cracked and I
Checked my timing also and at TDC its right on number one. I know its getting gas because I could smell it on the plug.
Unread 12-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
supernova427
1991 XJ Cherokee 

And before this happend when I was go to crank my jeep it would stumble to a start

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.