Need help from the pros - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Need help from the pros

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
Maltesian

Need help from the pros

Got another technical question for the jeep experienced people, if anyone reads this and helps out is much appreciated. Thanks.

Here's whats going on.

Got an 01 sport that Ive had for a few months now. Just recently installed OME 2" coils and springs(MD), and shocks with skyjacker hydro's. Also put a set of new 30" tires mounted and balanced to cragar 15 x 7's.

I have vibrations in the vehicle while at certain speeds around 40mph. This was after the lift.

After just driving it I happen to notice something.

Now previously I have had this like squeak, squeak, squeak sound coming from the vehicle. It sounds like it is a rotational type squeak because it gets faster as the jeep gets faster.I have had people sit in the back multiple times and front also to help identify where the noise is coming from. All generally agreed that is what coming from the rear, right side, generally speaking.

So......... after just driving it I happen to notice the feel of something being most likely unbalanced with in the vehicle while coasting at 10 mph ish. It was the feel as if riding a bike that a lump in the tire. Like something out of true or something. So, tires(even though are balanced when mounted), wheel or Axel bearing, joints? or something?

Yea, that's where I'm at folks.

T case drop/SYE comes to my mind at first...

Kinda of a double question lol

Maltesian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
RLE

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Noises are hard to detect sometimes. My Jeep's rear brakes squeak when they get out of adjustment, which is too often. Try adjusting them from the adjuster hole in the backing plate. Or pull the drum and see if something is unhooked or rubbing.

As for the lump. you might have a tire out of round (even a new one). Jack it up just a little bit and spin it and see if it is true. I had an out of round tire recently that could be felt at lower speeds but seemed smoother on the highway.
RLE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
Maltesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLE View Post
Noises are hard to detect sometimes. My Jeep's rear brakes squeak when they get out of adjustment, which is too often. Try adjusting them from the adjuster hole in the backing plate. Or pull the drum and see if something is unhooked or rubbing.

As for the lump. you might have a tire out of round (even a new one). Jack it up just a little bit and spin it and see if it is true. I had an out of round tire recently that could be felt at lower speeds but seemed smoother on the highway.

ok, will try that. I immediately figures the issue is in the drive line, because I just lifted it. How ever everyone ive talked to at work and some others all found it very hard to believe that a 2" lift would cause vibrations. My buddy told me that his friends all ran much bigger lifts with out drive line issues.

As it is right now the vibration only occurs at certain speeds around 40mph.

Thanks for reply though.
Unread 08-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
too_low
1998 XJ Cherokee 

it could be something as simple as a u joint in one of the drive shafts. i have had u joints that made noise before and vibrated and they still felt tight when i shook them. But when i turned the drive shaft by hand i could feel it bind just a tiny bit, when i took it out to replace it three caps were good and the other one was rusty and full of metal powder instead of needle bearings haha (this u joint issue also became apparent after i lifted my jeep as well)
too_low is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
Maltesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by too_low View Post
it could be something as simple as a u joint in one of the drive shafts. i have had u joints that made noise before and vibrated and they still felt tight when i shook them. But when i turned the drive shaft by hand i could feel it bind just a tiny bit, when i took it out to replace it three caps were good and the other one was rusty and full of metal powder instead of needle bearings haha (this u joint issue also became apparent after i lifted my jeep as well)

Ok, yea guys a work were suggesting that I already had a bad U-joint or something by lifting it it only magnified the problem that was already there.

I just got back from driving it my old man we both agreed that it vibrates while accelerating around 40mph. Other then that there are no vibrations at higher or lower speeds accelerating or not.

I spun the wheels around also and tried to see if they were unbalanced and shook them around also and they were pretty solid.

I'm think im going to actually end up taking it in or have someone diagnose the problem. I have a T-case drop ready to install but I'm kinda starting to believe that there is something else at play here.

Someone should post some exp they had with drive line vibrations after a lift, like was it at a certain speed? accelerating? was it more prominent at highway speeds?

I mean I have read that 2" lifts don't often require T case drops but that's not to say always. Every jeep is different from what I understand.
Unread 08-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

40 mph is close to the speed where pinion shafts and bearings get weird. I assume you checked for signs of a loose shaft front or rear.

A XC drop a on a 2" lift is not normally needed, but you can make one so easily out of 1" square tubing, it might not hurt to throw one on.....
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #7
RLE

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ditto to Jeff on the loose shafts.

Check the straps that hold the u-joint at the rear pinion yoke.
Make sure the four bolts are tight. Make sure one of the little tabs
holding the u-joint caps in the yoke hasn't broken off.

You don't want your drive shaft to fall off the yoke. If it ever does,
throw it in the trunk and drive home in 4hi.
Unread 08-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #8
Maltesian

After just driving it at the same spot where I heard the thumplike-unbalanced feel I said earlier, I happen to notice something else.

This area is basically a long hill with a very gradual start but then a steeper decent, which can mean coasting for a min or so.

So basically at 30mph I literally feel the whole jeep jumping or shaking/vibrating rather noticeably. As I get faster it quickens...

Or am I just high as **** every time I drive it down that hill.....

but seriously, I think something most definitely drive-line related or something like that.

Its a step......thank you for your patience..
Unread 08-02-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
Maltesian

In regards to last post, I'm just gonna replace the U-joints and see what happens. Seems easy and cheap enough. So ill see what happens.

Honestly, probably gonna have to Install the T-case spacers I have....That or go to W-mart and pick up a years worth of salt bags for the water softener and weigh the back down.
Unread 08-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #10
RLE

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Do make sure your drive shaft is not loose before going any further. You just need an 8mm wrench or socket to tighten it.

While you are under the Jeep, check to see if the transmission mount is securely in place and not rotted. It can hop around when accelerating or (if you have a manual transmission) when downshifting.

Make sure everything that was installed when doing the lift is tight. I am not really a mechanic and I have a local shade tree guy and his apprentices do most of my work for me, but I have learned to check what they have done. This forum helps me to know how things should be done.

You could also switch the tires front to back and see if your problem changes position. Tire problems are not always easily visible.
Unread 08-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #11
Maltesian

Quote:
Do make sure your drive shaft is not loose before going any further. You just need an 8mm wrench or socket to tighten it.

While you are under the Jeep, check to see if the transmission mount is securely in place and not rotted. It can hop around when accelerating or (if you have a manual transmission) when downshifting.

Make sure everything that was installed when doing the lift is tight. I am not really a mechanic and I have a local shade tree guy and his apprentices do most of my work for me, but I have learned to check what they have done. This forum helps me to know how things should be done.

You could also switch the tires front to back and see if your problem changes position. Tire problems are not always easily visible.
Yes, as soon as I get some time, which is tomorrow. I would like to avoid a Transfer case drop...but it looks like im heading that way. I mean why else would this be happening ESPECIALLY after I installed the new springs.

It would be hilarious if It was something retarded.
Unread 08-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #12
Maltesian

So I spent the better part of today re-connecting my front sway bar, and going back to re-torque/thread lock everything I did in past few weeks. Also switched the front tires to the rear. While I was under there I check for loose joints and any play. With it in N and my hands around the Joints, everything seemed solid. Only thing I felt move was the backlash In the gears.

Later found out what that noise was. I pulled the right side drum off and found the auto-juster cable broken. Went and replaced and now need to adjust the brakes. There is a scrapping/rubbing noise when I go slow. It looks like there is a procedure on how to adjust the shoes using the adjuster knob thing that I replaced.

Other then that still have vibrations and going to install my OME T case kit next weekend. I opened the kit finally and found a nice 1 page of logical instructions that I agreed upon after reading it. Was nice to have them provided.

Hopefully everything goes well, Ive been busting my *** on this **** for weeks now. It be nice to just kick back and enjoy it for what it is and not always thinking about working on it. Even though I am really doing basic **** compared to other guys around here that Ive seen.
Unread 08-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #13
RLE

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like you are making some progress. If you don't have a Factory Service
Manual, you can access it free online (and print the pages you want) at this site :
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowled...ex.htm#service
Use the Online Repair Manual window
For rear brake adjustments you would want to look at pages 30-31

You still have the same lump at low speeds? If you jack up the right rear wheel
and spin the tire by hand, does the u-joint at the rear pinion feel like it is running
smooth without any catches or sounds ?

If you still are thinking about changing any U-joints, you can get Spicer Life
Series from this site: http://www.northerndrivetrain.com/ca...t_ujoints.html
You would use 1310 joints and maybe a 1330 depending on your model.

Hope the TC drop helps.
Unread 08-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #14
Maltesian

Quote:
Sounds like you are making some progress. If you don't have a Factory Service
Manual, you can access it free online (and print the pages you want) at this site :
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowled...ex.htm#service
Use the Online Repair Manual window
For rear brake adjustments you would want to look at pages 30-31

You still have the same lump at low speeds? If you jack up the right rear wheel
and spin the tire by hand, does the u-joint at the rear pinion feel like it is running
smooth without any catches or sounds ?

If you still are thinking about changing any U-joints, you can get Spicer Life
Series from this site: http://www.northerndrivetrain.com/ca...t_ujoints.html
You would use 1310 joints and maybe a 1330 depending on your model.

Hope the TC drop helps.
Turns out the lump thing was nothing really, its just the vibrations in my drive-train while traveling at certain speeds. T-case drop is needed. Why else would they make them anyways? Gotta remember that those med springs moved the rear quite a bit, enough to clear 31's maybe. Might not seem like much, but that drive-line was set a certain way for 10+ years, now its suddenly changed. I am actually not surprised at the "Drive-line not being happy thing", so I must help it back into place I guess lol.

Will see how it goes, looks like those studs or something are the real killer about this little ordeal. I'm gonna try the 2nut method thing If I can.
Unread 08-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #15
crazyeye
1979 CJ7 

Have you checked your wheel bearings in the rear ? Are checked your gears ? Mine made grinding sounds . After I lifted it to 4.5 . Everything changed so my bearings and spider gears didn't like it . So I replaced them and no more vibration .
crazyeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.