Need Help please read. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Need Help please read.

Rugged Ridge Bumpers, Winches, Performance from CCOR!JK Front Axle TrussARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits

Unread 09-07-2007, 11:23 PM   #1
Abstrastic
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Need Help please read.

1988 Cherokee 4.0 inline 6 automatic 4x4. Didn't run when I bought it had been sitting in a barn for a yr and a half. Also wasn't getting fuel when i bought it. Has 250K miles on it. Motor was rebuilt at 200K miles.
All Fuses are okay.

It is getting fuel but no spark. What has been replaced in the past three days:

Battery (replaced cuz there wasn't one)
Battery Cables (Destroyed)
Spark Plugs (Way past Shot)
Spark Plug wires (weren't any on the jeep)
Ignition Coil (Bad)
Relay/ Ballast Resonator (Bad)
Crankshaft Position Sensor (Just Because it is known to cause problems)

Being replaced tomorrow if bad:

Rotor

I am out of ideas.

Please Help.

Thanks,
Evan.

Abstrastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2007, 06:22 AM   #2
lbsnowryder
One notch above Redneck!!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Double check ground on block and make sure you are getting spark at the coil. Swap the relays around under the engine compartment also. Start there and return here with results.

I own a Jeep, it's red and has big tires

Radical Pictures
lbsnowryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2007, 11:16 AM   #3
Abstrastic
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbsnowryder
Double check ground on block and make sure you are getting spark at the coil. Swap the relays around under the engine compartment also. Start there and return here with results.

Dumb question: do you mean spark from the distributor to the coil or vise versus?
Unread 09-08-2007, 11:19 AM   #4
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

If your replacing the rotor, get the cap as well. Do you know if your getting spark to the cap????

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2007, 11:21 AM   #5
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstrastic
Dumb question: do you mean spark from the distributor to the coil or vise versus?

He prolly means spark from the coil to the distributor. The grounds thing can be a cause for no spark as well. The negative batt connection to the block and the ground from firewall to block.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Unread 09-08-2007, 10:06 PM   #6
Abstrastic
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler
He prolly means spark from the coil to the distributor. The grounds thing can be a cause for no spark as well. The negative batt connection to the block and the ground from firewall to block.

I cleaned the negative connection at the block as well as the ground from the firewall to the block.

I am not getting spark to the cap.
Unread 09-08-2007, 11:32 PM   #7
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstrastic
I cleaned the negative connection at the block as well as the ground from the firewall to the block.

I am not getting spark to the cap.

What is the condition of your coil????

Unread 09-09-2007, 02:19 PM   #8
Abstrastic
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler
What is the condition of your coil????
Brand new.

Update. That relay that I replaced, well when the old one was on the fuel pump wouldn't run But I did get spark. Now with the new relay installed The fuel pump runs but no spark. I put the old relay back on and sprayed starter fluid in the intake and it started right up. I am thinking maybe I got a bad relay.

Edit: I got it to start with the new relay but only after I used starter fluid in the intake. And it doesn't work every time. It is like the spark is intermentted.

Last edited by Abstrastic; 09-09-2007 at 07:12 PM..
Unread 09-14-2007, 07:31 PM   #9
Abstrastic
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Update since the relay. Fuel Pressure Regulator started leaking a few nights ago so i replaced it. The fuel pressure seems to have gotten a bit better after changing that out. But still not running. So... I took out the injectors and let them soak in a bucket of B-12 for 24hrs. I let them dry for about 12hrs. I just got done putting them back in and hooking everything back up. Cleaning the injectors did seem to help a bit. It is actually trying to start now, but wont.

Any ideas?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.