NEED HELP! Jeep cuts off, I'm stuck in traffic! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > NEED HELP! Jeep cuts off, I'm stuck in traffic!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 10-19-2010, 10:36 PM   #1
szalayfilm

NEED HELP! Jeep cuts off, I'm stuck in traffic!

I have a '94 Cherokee Sport 4.0L that will cut off while driving and won't restart. I've read through a thousand similar cases, but haven't seen anything explained exactly this way. When the issue first started, I could immediately pop it in neutral, and restart it. The problem was very intermittent. Over the course of 4-5 months, the problem worsened to the point that it took a few minutes to restart, to it may take up to 1-3 hrs before it would restart. It doesn't matter if you're driving, stopped, or even stopped with the car in neutral and the gas pedal slightly pressed running 2-3k RPMs (don't ask why I thought that would help, I was desperate). If I'm stopped, I can hear and tell that the engine stalls. If I'm driving, there are times that the only way I new it had stalled was because I had lost power steering. I replaced the fuel filter, but that didn't solve the issue. Eventually I gave up and let the car sit for 9+ months. Now I'm determined to fix the problem. I charged up the battery, started it up, put it in drive, and drove it about 60ft before it stalled and wouldn't restart. I waited about 20 minutes and it wouldn't restart. 3 hours later, I tried again and it started up, I revved the engine a bit, let it sit around 2k RPMs for a few seconds, and it stayed running for 10 minutes before I turned it off. My research makes me lean towards thinking it is the Crank Position Sensor. I'm not against taking it to a shop, but I just want to make sure I test everything I can before it comes to that. I know your time is valuable and I am VERY THANKFUL to all who have spent a few minutes of their time reading and giving advice!

best regards,
Jim

Extra notes/issues that may help:
- Like many Jeeps, mine has overheating issues. I removed the thermostat, which has helped. I only do in-town driving, so overheating is never a worry.
- In 2004 I had Neutral Safety Switch issues. I could do the shifter shuffle and that would help, or putting it in neutral. Eventually I stuck a paperclip in the NSS plug so it would start in any gear. I of course only try to start it in park or neutral. Haven't had any issues with this in since the embarrassingly effective paperclip fix (that I know of).

szalayfilm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2010, 10:40 PM   #2
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by szalayfilm View Post
My research makes me lean towards thinking it is the Crank Position Sensor.
That's a great way to lean. You might also try resetting the CPS connector. A poor connection there can cause the symptoms you report.
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2010, 08:40 AM   #3
dukie564
1995 XJ Cherokee 

absolutely. CPS is #1 cause of your problem, and very common. Replace it.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-danger-cart-xj-1297118/
dukie564 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, the crank position sensor is a very common failure on the Jeep 4.0. And thermal (heat related) failure is a common way for them to fail.

Because it is failing only when hot, testing it when engine is cold might not yield good data. I'd probably replace it. I buy these sensors directly from Jeep as there are many reports of hit and miss (poor) results with certain aftermarket sensors.

And the other item on your 4.0 that can suffer thermal failure is the ignition coil. But they fail far less than the crank sensor.

Good luck and let us know what you find!
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
crank position sensor , stall issue , starting problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.