Need help with custom 4 link rear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Need help with custom 4 link rear

Halloween Savings to die for!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 01-23-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
b_wern
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Need help with custom 4 link rear

I'm looking to do a custom 4 link rear (Trek's, Rock Krawler and Clayton's are too expensive) set up on my xj and I don't know how to figure out the lengths for the LCA's and UCA's

Also I want to do a triangulated setup so I don't know what angles the control arms need to be at coming from the axle and mounted to the cross member

b_wern is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

This is why they sell the kits IMHO.
They do all the homework, and you weld it in. There are a LOT more things to dial in on a 4 link than anything else.
I would recommend going over to Pirate4x4.Com - The largest off roading website in the world. and reading on there. They also have some anti squat calculators and such.

To be honest, and please do not take this the wrong way, if you are trying to figure angles and link length out, I do not think you are ready yet to do a home made 4 link.
Pretty much all the successful home made 4 link setups I have seen in person, went into the cab area on XJ's. There just is not enough room under them for the length of links you need.
Please go and do a LOT of research BEFORE starting this, as done wrong it will be a death trap.
may I also ask why you are dead set on a true 4 link rear? For a fraction of the cost, even doing it all yourself, you can have custom leaf springs made that will ride like a dream.

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2010, 02:08 PM   #3
b_wern
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I understand what you mean about me trying to figure out the angles and lengths but you have to start some where with a project like this, I'm not looking to get it done for another 6 months, and I've done plenty of XJ's before, I want to try something new..
And yes I'm doing/have done a lot of research, I have a buddy who owns a shop where I am located who will do all the fab work for me.. Who knows I may just buy a kit but I really like the 4 link. and to answer your question as to why I want the 4 link, I want something that is different and will stand out..
Unread 01-23-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
xjhavens
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Suspension calculator, tape measure and an angle finder. That being said if you have to ask then your not ready to build one. Not to discourage you from learning but there is a LOT more that goes into building a suspension than you may realize.and I'm sure you don't want to kill yourself or anyone else.
xjhavens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2010, 11:51 AM   #5
b_wern
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I do realize that there is a lot of work that goes into it. I just don't see how I can learn it without doing my research and then having someone build it for me.
Unread 01-24-2010, 11:57 AM   #6
talentjeep
1987 XJ Cherokee 

dude....

I love JF and it has taught me more than any other forum on the web about Jeep stuff. The people here are great and know a lot.

But if you want to talk about 4link you might want to try Modified Tech Discussion - NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association

Those guys are like crazy technical super weirdos or something.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.