Need help with cherokee xj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Need help with cherokee xj

ECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 05-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
newbjeepowner
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Need help with cherokee xj

I have a 99 jeep cherokee sport with the 4.0L engine. i just recently noticed a light grinding noise only when driving above 15mph, then below or even sometimes when idling especially when gaining speed there is a ticking noise. my rear end is sagging and my leafs are just at the point of inverting (i am working on this) just in case that could have something to do with it, but the most unusual thing is that i can feel all of this in shifter for the 4wd but not in the e-brake handle or the regular shifter.

newbjeepowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
pokeyxj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Drain t-case and look in drain hole at chain, could be stretched and rubbing the case. That could be both grinding and ticking noises.
pokeyxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
newbjeepowner
1999 XJ Cherokee 

thanks think only thing that i have not replaced oil in. so i will check, i noticed while idle however more of a rattling than ticking like somethings loose.
Unread 05-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
cory4um
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The transfer case shift linkage makes a lot of noise if the bushings go bad. Only really Noticeable when idling. Wiggling the shifter will make it stop.t.confirming your linkage needs a rebuild.
That should take care of one of your noises
cory4um is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 09:21 PM   #5
holysirsalad
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I doubt his transfer case chain is going to be doing much when he's idling.

Have you checked your flexplate bolts? They have a habit of backing out and making a variety of noises from what you describe to a knocking.
holysirsalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
newbjeepowner
1999 XJ Cherokee 

thanks everyone but it seemed to have stopped. i have a more annoying problem now however. i got a p0455 code and one for O2 sensor. had to repair wire to O2 sensor replaced line to evap reservior (had holes where rubbed on frame) and found hose broken off charcoal canister. still had evap code pop back up. but also notice that my A/C condenser is contantly running producing condesate when it is not on? is this related or another isse entirely. and how do i test the purge valve pls. and yes apparantley the wires and hose broke from off roading is too fun not to. but the more fun the more the damage lol.
Unread 08-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #7
bigbill888
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbjeepowner View Post
my A/C condenser is contantly running producing condesate when it is not on
Is heater control set on "defrost"? If so, A/C compressor is on.
All work well
bigbill888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 06:51 PM   #8
newbjeepowner
1999 XJ Cherokee 

even if off, as long as the hot cool setting is anywhere from half way to cool compressor full on consistantly running not even just cutting in and out i don't get it but i don't want hot air seeping through vents while its summer... causes engine to over heat if sitting too long also.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.