Need help changing spark plugs - can't get coil rail out - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Need help changing spark plugs - can't get coil rail out

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-25-2008, 07:00 AM   #1
ajcannon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Need help changing spark plugs - can't get coil rail out

It's my first time changing spark plugs - and I need some help almost before I've even started. I've removed the four bolts from the coil rail, but I am not sure how to get it out. I can wiggle it and it will come loose, but my problem is that some of the hoses get in the way. My real question is do I need to disconnect these hoses, or should I just work around them?

I said it's my first time changing spark plugs - it's really my first time doing almost anything, so I figured it was better to ask first before I just dive in and guess. I read a write-up somewhere on how to change the spark plugs, but I think whoever wrote it had a different model than I've got so I wanted to ask here.

I'm driving a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport with a 4.0 I6.

ajcannon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2008, 07:24 AM   #2
xjpro
2001 XJ Cherokee 

In order to do it you will need to disconnect the heater hoses in your way in order to take the coil pack out, and after you do so find your way and move them in every possible way to free them. If im not wrong they rub a little on the A/C compressor before finally going out.-

HTH
Electric fan conversion with spal fan controller
xjpro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2008, 07:28 AM   #3
OLDoRedoWolf
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I had the same problem with my 2001. You just gotta work it off & maneuver it out of the way. It's pretty annoying, but you can do it.

I think you can disconnect the power cable from the rail on the far end, that would make it easier, & then you could just take it out.
OLDoRedoWolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2008, 08:12 AM   #4
MXdude105
2013 JK Wrangler 

i didn't disconnect any of that stuff. just wiggle the coil packs around a bit and they will come out with some effort.
MXdude105 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2008, 08:30 AM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXdude105 View Post
i didn't disconnect any of that stuff. just wiggle the coil packs around a bit .

Me too. I didn't have to disconnect or remove anything. Gently tug or push the coil rail aside until you have enough room to get at the spark plugs. I think I used an extension with a wobble end to get better access to the spark plugs.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2008, 08:39 AM   #6
waltercrovo
2001 XJ Cherokee 

yep, no need to remove anything extra, you can gently get everything clear.
waltercrovo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2008, 08:42 AM   #7
ajcannon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks everyone - still trying to figure this out, but I'll give it another shot in a little bit after the engine cools down.

I basically gave up earlier, after I couldn't get the hoses disconnected (I didn't want to cut them off and replace them and they would not come loose at all.) I connected everything back up (with the old plugs still) and drove it around for a few miles to make sure that it was running OK. Actually - while I'm at it, let me as everyone a question. I connected everything back up and started the jeep. It turned over and then almost immediately shut off. I gave it a few seconds and started it again - drove it around and everything seems to be working as normal.

Think that the starting issue was just a coincidence, or do you think I've missed a connection somewhere. It's started three times since then without problems and I've driven it and it seems to be driving normally.

Anyways, back to the original issue - I'm going to wait for the engine to cool down a little more and then I'll go back out and give it one more shot. After that I'll take it in to get it done. I'm just scared that in the process of me trying to save a little money I'll end up breaking something that will cost a heck of a lot more to fix than I've saved.

Thanks again everyone for your help - I really appreciate it. Have a great weekend.

-Andrew
Unread 10-25-2008, 11:06 AM   #8
sundevilkid
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Distributor less Jeeps are so weird

I just did mine yesterday... Just had to move the wiring harnesses around at the back of the block, but all others were a sinch, only took about 20 minutes to get the old ones out and new ones back in again.
Unread 10-25-2008, 12:36 PM   #9
footypaul
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Whey in the heck dont they make things you are going to HAVE to replace easier to remove.

Engineers need to spend some time with mechanics before they are allowed to design a vehicle.
footypaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2008, 02:03 PM   #10
ajcannon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for everyone's help. I ended up taking it up to a friends shop to get it done - he charged me a fair price and I felt better knowing that someone who knew what they were doing did it. I just threw my bike in the back of the Cherokee and drove up there, rode back to my house, watched some football, and went back to pick it up later. I'll try it the next time they need them (but it will be a while - I don't drive very much).

Thanks again to everyone who answered me on this thread, and my other thread regarding which plugs to use. Y'all have a great weekend and enjoy some football now.

-Andrew

EDIT: Oh and by the way, it does run much smoother now - I'm glad that it's been done.
Unread 10-25-2008, 02:10 PM   #11
EagleStorm
2008 WK 

bend the hose's out of the way no need to disconnect anything. you just need to gain access to the plugs you dont need to lay the coil rail on the bench just move it out of the way
EagleStorm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2009, 05:15 PM   #12
LazersGoPEWPEW
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I'm about to do this change to mine and is it really necessary to remove the hoses? It's not a huge deal as I imagine I can get them off but I don't like doing more than I have to. Anyone have the torques required for the plugs and the coil packs?
LazersGoPEWPEW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2009, 08:18 AM   #13
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazersGoPEWPEW View Post
... the torques required for the plugs and the coil packs?
Spark Plugs - 25 ft/lbs
Coil Rail 250 - INCH/pounds (barely tight)

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2009, 09:31 AM   #14
xjarchaeologist
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Me too. I didn't have to disconnect or remove anything. Gently tug or push the coil rail aside until you have enough room to get at the spark plugs. I think I used an extension with a wobble end to get better access to the spark plugs.
This. I just tugged, got it off, and shoved it down and out of the way. The plugs are easy to get to, expect for the last one by the firewall.

It's an easy task unless the last ******* to put your plugs in overtightened them and the ceramic breaks as you loosen it...
Unread 04-16-2009, 10:07 AM   #15
suprdave80
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjarchaeologist View Post
This. I just tugged, got it off, and shoved it down and out of the way. The plugs are easy to get to, expect for the last one by the firewall.

It's an easy task unless the last ******* to put your plugs in overtightened them and the ceramic breaks as you loosen it...
sounds like the same guy that worked on yours worked on mine

never ceases to amaze me how many stupid things i find out he did as i work on my engine. good thing the engine as a whole is solid, just everything around or on it was done stupidly

As for replacing spark plugs -

unbolt coil rail, pull off, shove out of the way. no need to disconnect anything.

it helps to have a jointed socket extension to get to a couple plugs, particularly number six, which is sorta behind the tranny fill tube.
suprdave80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.