Need Help 1996 Cherokee Sport - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Need Help 1996 Cherokee Sport

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 02-11-2007, 09:44 AM   #1
nmblkmtn1

Need Help 1996 Cherokee Sport

Greetings all I'm new to this site and new to Jeeps. I have a 1996 Cherokee
Sport, I'm having starting problems. When I turn the key at times I get nothing. All the lights work and radio. The Starter was just replaced, which was not the problem, sometimes it will start in neutral. I had the same problem with my 67 ford, and it was the starter realy, don't know if jeeps have such a part. All feedback would be helpful.
thanks
J

nmblkmtn1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2007, 09:45 AM   #2
88XJSport
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I am thinking your Neutral Safety Switch. Search that and youll find a good write up or two on there. You could repace it for a couple hundred bucks, but cleaning it would be easier and cheaper. So do a search and see if that sounds like your problem.
88XJSport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2007, 09:48 AM   #3
bee guz

I looked for a new one for a guy here yesterday, and autozone wanted 238.00 so you better check it out good, it may just need adjustment, or cleaning.
bee guz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2007, 10:03 AM   #4
nmblkmtn1

thanks or the feedback I will check it out and let you know what happens.
nmblkmtn1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2007, 11:46 AM   #5
T4STE
1996 XJ Cherokee 

same thing happened to me this weekend. everything you just said, except it was the starter that was donzo with mine. i got it replaced part and labor for $200 not bad. bee guz looked for the price for neutral safety switch for me (thanks) but it wasnt that. good luck though

my build
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/9...thread-634491/
T4STE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2007, 04:52 PM   #6
jeephack

I had the same problem with my neutral safety switch once. A couple of wires from the starter solenoid to a spring loaded toggle switch mounted through the dash under the steering wheel, and now it starts whenever I tell it to! Doesn't care what position the shift lever is in.
jeephack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2007, 05:09 PM   #7
bee guz

Thats a hell of a lot better than that 240 dollar switch...
bee guz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2007, 07:04 PM   #8
Rescue XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I had the same problem. It was the terminals on my battery cables.
4L HO Command track Dana 30 front Chrysler 8.25 rear CarQuest XD shocks, Federal Signal emergency stuff, MCX 1000 DES-XL, TK-940, Astro Spectra W3 encrypted, Magnaflow 18" body, Medical supplies, MREs, Gatoraid, Shovel, MagLite, body armor, grappling hook, annoying squeeking sound from my door, otherwise stock for now.
White Jeep Club Member #911
Code 3 Jeep Club Member #1
Eagle Scout Jeep Club Member #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx50cj3a
Vatozone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Briarwood
I think "that look" is what they teach the chicks in 6th grade when they show them "that film" behind closed doors.
Rescue XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.