Need help with 1990 XJ Wagoneer Limited Driver Power Window! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Need help with 1990 XJ Wagoneer Limited Driver Power Window!

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 09-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
DaSupercharger
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Need help with 1990 XJ Wagoneer Limited Driver Power Window!

Hi everyone!

So I've been lurking around the forum ever since I bought my Waggy back last October and this forum has been INVALUABLE as hell to me to the point where I've never had to post any questions about my Renix problems before because someone had already figured it out

This time though I'm a bit stumped and need your help. So my driver side window rolls down half way and can only go up 6" and never closes. It never makes any noises at the top extreme or bottom but it does seem like the motor is working but can't push/pull any further?! It just started doing this and thats bad here out in the cold here in Pennsyltucky

Now I'm good with mechanical things like engines etc etc but the whole window mechanism doesnt look very familiar to anything I've found so far because all the stuff I have found on the forum has been for either mid to late 90's XJ's or just ZJ's and WJ's. I think its my window regulator thing but have NO IDEA where the hell it is or what it looks like. Isn't a Window Regulator and a Window Motor the SAME THING??

Any help would be appreciated! Here's a pic of how far I got:

And the last 2 pics are of my ghetto solution

PS: I also was wondering what Paint Code I have?! It would be nice to figure that out! I've searched high and low on the interwebs but haven't been able to figure it out as of yet.

0918132228a-s-.jpg   0919131807-s-.jpg   0919131810-s-.jpg  
DaSupercharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Pull the regulator off and check if it is binding, my 92 did that when trying to go up.
Unread 09-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Sometimes the rubber window channel inside the door gets bunched up. Sometimes the metal frame inside the door that holds the window channel moves enough to allow the window to get crooked and bind up. Sometimes the window regulator mechanism or the window motor fails.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
DaSupercharger
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Okay, so we have some good starting points for me to look at! Prior to the failure, it was acting a bit funny where it wouldn't go down completely into the door and would make a grinding sound if you tried to take it past that point BUT it went all the way up just fine! Furthermore, the window does seem to be a bit loose as you can grab it and move it around an 1/8" left or right. Also, is the window regulator the thing attached to the shiny bracket in my 1st picture in the middle of the door or is that the window motor? I won't have much time over the weekend so just want to try to do it in as less time as possible

THANK YOU!
Unread 10-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #5
DaSupercharger
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Okay, so update time! In some cussing and swearing at the regulator while I tore my door down, took out the window, trim and everything, I realized that I had to drill out the rivets to get the damn regulator out?! (Doh!)

Predictably, I started to panic like a 14 year old tween and went to my basement to get a 2x4 to keep my window up and shut it up for good and be done with it.

HOWEVER, when I walked out, and looked down the window channel from above, I saw that there was a small shiny pin sticking out of the regulator. And I'm like, "gee, that seems out of place."

So in good ol' redneck fashion, I picked up a socket wrench and used it as a hammer to smack the pin back into the regulator and VOILA!!! Damn thing started working as good as new!

Problem solved and lets see how long that regulator will last. Its already taken 24 years of abuse, maybe it'll handle 24 more

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.