Need to Get the 92 XJ Road Trip ready for the summer festivails GO Bonnaroo!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Need to Get the 92 XJ Road Trip ready for the summer festivails GO Bonnaroo!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 01-20-2008, 06:31 PM   #1
mtn121

Need suuest to Get the 92 XJ Road Trip ready for the summer festivails GO Bonnaroo!!

Ok I have a 92 2 door XJ with 202k miles. I have only owned it for 6 months and 4k miles. Have not had any major problems with it. I need to get it road trip worthy for the summer. I will be attending some music festivals and may be doing a little touring. I will need to drive it on 14 to 18 hour trips at some points in the summer. I am trying to make a punch list of things I need to do to get it ready for the summer. I am thinkinking this so far

-change all fluids(diff, trans)
-flush coolant system
-change fuel and air filter and oil
-change plugs,rotor, dist cap
-Do full brake overhual FRONT(rotors and pads)REAR(new shoes for the drums)
-Seafoam Treatment
-grease all the steering componants and u joints on the axle and both driveshafts

What other suggestoins do you guys have? DFoes anyone have a xj pushing over 2ook that they road trip.

Also wanna make a punch list of tools and things to carry with me. I am thinking.

-Socket Set
-Screwdrivers
-Assorted Fluids and oil
-Some taping for lines maybe that could start leaking(Any tape Suggestoins)

PS if anyone is wondering I am planning on hitting bonnaroo,allgood, summer camp and maybe more depends on the lineups. Widespread, Phil Friends, Ratdog

Last edited by mtn121; 01-21-2008 at 05:29 PM..
mtn121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2008, 03:21 PM   #2
mtn121

Anybody please help
Unread 01-21-2008, 03:47 PM   #3
collkid
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds about right, just make sure to change your Oil and be sure that you are taking oil with you...

Maybe consider doing or buying a CPS in case that goes out.

Also consider doing the Fuel Filter, maybe the Fuel Pump....
Colorado Member #89
collkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2008, 03:48 PM   #4
mtn121

Whats a cps?
Unread 01-21-2008, 04:09 PM   #5
AlexsXJ
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I wouldn't hit the road without changing the belt and hoses. A blown upper hose is mostly likely to leave you stranded in the middle of no where.

Good luck out on the road!
Unread 01-21-2008, 04:19 PM   #6
lifted92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

no reason to change the fuel pump if it runs fine. check powersteering too, grease all the steering componants and u joints on the axle and both driveshafts

my jeep won the war, your honda mows my lawn
lifted92xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2008, 05:28 PM   #7
mtn121

The belt has been changed. When you say all hoses you mean what? Coolant and heater hoses and tranny lines. What else? Do you think with all this work I should be safe out on the road. The motor runs strong. Any opions on if its a good idea to road trip it with 202k.
Unread 01-21-2008, 05:35 PM   #8
rexdriver85
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Make sure all fluids are good and bring extra with you. Grease everything. Make sure tires have above 4/32nds of tread, and NO DRY ROT, blowouts suck and are dangerous.

You have a good idea, check all brakes and replace where necessary, check all brake likes and fuel lines under vehicle, make sure none are rusted bad, and if so replace! You'd hate to have a rusted through brake line in the middle of no where and end up with no pedal!

Make sure all suspension is good with no play. Check tie-rods for play and replace if excessive, if you lose a tie-rod on you're trip you lose you're steering capability.

Bring a jump pack, screw drivers, 3/8 and 1/4 ratchet with sockets. Extensions are good too, bring a knife and a safety pack with condoms and astroglide. Make sure you're jack is good and you're tire tools are all there.

I can't think of anything else.
rexdriver85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2008, 06:48 PM   #9
95_TSi_AWD
1991 XJ Cherokee 

might as well throw in a new thermostat if your changing the coolant. that and make sure your waterpump isn't leaking at all. make sure your electric fans comes on when it should and make sure your mechanicl fan clutch works. you dont want to fight with an overheating problem trying to take a trip.
95_TSi_AWD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2008, 07:01 PM   #10
mtn121

How would I go about testing the fans?
Unread 01-21-2008, 07:13 PM   #11
ProMod1385
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Have the coolant system flushed and make sure your not having any cooling problems (i blew the plastic end off my radiator this summer 75miles from Rapid City SD and had to bum a ride back into town to get it changed). Tranny lines might be over kill but changing or at least carrying spare upper, lower, and heater hoses is never a bad idea. If you offroad any a spare u-joint is always a minimum.
ProMod1385 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2008, 07:17 PM   #12
mtn121

Will not be offroading at all once this tune up work is started and will not be doing any wheeling while out on the road. Don't wanna break anything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.