need a few opinions on where these parts go - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > need a few opinions on where these parts go

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-07-2014, 02:36 AM   #1
xjbucket

need a few opinions on where these parts go

ok so i have a 1996 xj and recently replaced the manifold gasket and manifold, and have a few loose bits, and thought just maybe you experts might be able to help me out as to where they go. its a 1996 classic, on gas/petrol. few questions after the pictures aswell

picture 1 - black tube that im holding, where does it go?

picture 2 - up against the firewall on passengers side - where do 1 and 2 go?

Also - when i drive up the street now it splutters, and on idle the revs drop and it sounds like its about to clonk out, could this be the crank position sensor, as it was giving me troubles earlier, also what are the chanses that its the oxygen sesnsor on the manfifold/exhaust, as i noticed its damaged from 4x4ing. just dont want to be buying parts if its not even the problem

also the throttle cable attatched to the throttle body seems loose now, is this normal?

also does anyone happen to know the Bosch o2 sensor number which fits an xj 1996 4.0

xjbucket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2014, 07:59 AM   #2
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjbucket View Post
ok so i have a 1996 xj and recently replaced the manifold gasket and manifold, and have a few loose bits, and thought just maybe you experts might be able to help me out as to where they go. its a 1996 classic, on gas/petrol. few questions after the pictures aswell

picture 1 - black tube that im holding, where does it go?

No idea. Looks like threre's been a few mods in your engine bay.

picture 2 - up against the firewall on passengers side - where do 1 and 2 go?

No. 1 looks like someone got rid of the transfer case vent and moved it up.

No. 2 is the HVAC Check Valve and that rotted tube needs to be connected to a tube extending out of the firewall that goes to your heater control panel.

Pic below is of a '99 set up. The '96 may be a little different.

Also - when i drive up the street now it splutters, and on idle the revs drop and it sounds like its about to clonk out, could this be the crank position sensor, as it was giving me troubles earlier, also what are the chanses that its the oxygen sesnsor on the manfifold/exhaust, as i noticed its damaged from 4x4ing. just dont want to be buying parts if its not even the problem

If the O2S is damaged replace it. It may be causing your sputtering problem.

Change the upstream and downstream O2S' as a set.

Use NTK Oxygen Sensors, not Bosch. NTK Upstream O2S 23121, downstream O2S 23014.

also the throttle cable attatched to the throttle body seems loose now, is this normal?

also does anyone happen to know the Bosch o2 sensor number which fits an xj 1996 4.0
Unread 12-07-2014, 11:29 AM   #3
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

It's propane powered guys.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2014, 12:33 PM   #4
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
It's propane powered guys.
And?
Unread 12-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #5
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCKen View Post
And?
And it's RHD.

That's why it looks different to us..........

My Jeep Technical Photos

Unread 12-07-2014, 03:35 PM   #6
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
And it's RHD.

That's why it looks different to us..........
Good eye.

That might mean that #2 in pic #2 is the front axle vent (?)
Unread 12-07-2014, 07:01 PM   #7
skyway0018746
2000 XJ Cherokee 

You sure got an odd ball xj .
First pic looks like it goes on to the intake manifold ( go figure ) as for what it connects to I can't be cretin do you have a tube going from the intake to the rear of the valve cover ?
Second picture #1 is a vacuum line I believe it's for the hvac but not sure it also connects to the intake manifold.
#2 is the front axle vent ( nothing required here )
Unread 12-10-2014, 12:38 AM   #8
xjbucket

thanks so much guys its running 99% better now. except i have a problem. when i run it on pertrol, on idle it stumbles a bit, but when i run it on gas it seems to run fine. any ideas?
xjbucket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2014, 06:22 AM   #9
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
thanks so much guys its running 99% better now. except i have a problem. when i run it on pertrol, on idle it stumbles a bit, but when i run it on gas it seems to run fine. any ideas?
Clean your throttle body first.

Courtesy of TJWalker:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Idle Air Control (IAC) is mounted on the back of the throttle body. (front for 87-90) The valve controls the idle speed of the engine by controlling the amount of air flowing through the air control passage. It consists of a stepper motor that moves a pintle shaped plunger in and out of the air control passage. When the valve plunger is retracted, the air control passage flows more air which raises the idle speed. When the valve plunger is extended, the air control passage flows less air which lowers the idle speed. Over time and miles, the IAC can get carboned up which can have an adverse affect on idle quality. Cleaning the IAC may restore proper function and is an easy procedure to perform and good preventive maintenance so it is never a bad idea. This should be part of a normal tune-up procedure and whenever idle/stalling issues are present.

CLEANING THE JEEP 4.0 IDLE AIR CONTROL

Remove the air filter cover, associated hoses and the rubber boot that goes from the air filter cover to the throttle body. Remove the IAC with a Torx driver (2 bolts; one can be kind of hard to get to). On 91 and later, it may be easier to just remove the whole throttle body. Be sure to use a new throttle body to manifold gasket when reinstalling.

ďGentlyĒ wiggle out the IAC from the throttle body. Gasket/O-ring on the IAC can be re-used if it is not damaged

Clean the IAC with a spray can of throttle body cleaner; inexpensive and available at any place that sells auto parts. Throttle body cleaner is recommended rather than carburetor cleaner as it is less harsh, safe for throttle body coatings and oxygen sensors. Use cleaner, a rag and a toothbrush and or Q-Tips. Be gentle; donít twist or pull on the pintle that protrudes from the IAC as it is fragile and you could damage it.

Thoroughly spray clean and flush where the IAC seats in the throttle body with the same spray cleaner

It is also a good idea to clean the entire throttle body bore itself, the butterfly valve inside of the throttle body and itís edges, and all associated linkage as long as you have things disassembled

Revised 10-6-2014

My Jeep Technical Photos

Unread 12-10-2014, 06:22 AM   #10
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCKen View Post
Good eye.

That might mean that #2 in pic #2 is the front axle vent (?)
I'm in the propane business......

My Jeep Technical Photos

Unread 12-10-2014, 10:53 AM   #11
Ferryman
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Do you have any ignition adjustments for running LPG?
Maybe it stucks in that mode.
Ferryman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.