Need Eyeballs For Front Pinion Yoke - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-22-2017, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
funtapaz
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Need Eyeballs For Front Pinion Yoke

https://youtu.be/z0VG0HQAmUM

Is this too much play? Keep in mind the beginning is side-to-side play, not rotational. If it is too much play, would I be better served trying to replace the bearings, rebuild the diff, or buying a junkyard Dana 30 for ~$300?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-22-2017, 02:16 PM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
unless you have the experience to set up a dif and the tools. It will be harder to do than it looks. If you have the time to learn how, tools, space to work on it. you dont need the jeep for a time while you do the work...

might be best to find a used axle(though they may need work as well). you wont know the real condition of all the bearings until its apart. this would be the time to replace inner seals as well. since you would have the dif and axles out.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-22-2017, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
funtapaz
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
unless you have the experience to set up a dif and the tools. It will be harder to do than it looks. If you have the time to learn how, tools, space to work on it. you dont need the jeep for a time while you do the work...

might be best to find a used axle(though they may need work as well). you wont know the real condition of all the bearings until its apart. this would be the time to replace inner seals as well. since you would have the dif and axles out.
So I'm taking this as "yes this is too much play", right?

post #4 of 5 Old 09-22-2017, 02:30 PM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
side to side play/lateral movement is not good. rotational is hard to judge like that since the measurements done inside with a magnetic base dial indicator to measure the lash between the pin and ring. But is effected by the lateral issue of that pinion bearing.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

post #5 of 5 Old 09-22-2017, 03:10 PM
RLE
1998 XJ Cherokee 

My 2 cents worth:

It's not like new but it doesn't look like it's shot just yet. I replaced
my Jeep's D30 when it had a lot more lateral play than that. If it isn't
giving you other problems (leaks, vibrations, whine, noises, etc,), you
can run it for awhile. I believe keeping the driveshaft slip yoke and
the front u-joint well greased helps keep the pinion from wearing so fast.

If you do get a JY D30, it may have some problems, too. I had to
put new ball joints in a few months after the swap.

Paying a shop to replace the pinion bearings or rebuild the differential
can get very costly. If you have time and can do it yourself, then that's
another thing.
post #6 of 5 Old 09-22-2017, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
funtapaz
1999 XJ Cherokee 

It did have a leak, and it did give vibes. The original front shaft was incredibly loose around the slip yoke. I replaced it with a shaft off a 2001, vibes went away but binding noise when doing sharp turns didn't go away unless the shaft was off. I replaced the front u joint on the shaft to see if it was the source of binding noise. It wasn't and now vibes are back.

I've went ahead and picked up a complete front axle assembly of a 95 XJ with 130k. It looks good and the yoke has zero lateral play.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.