Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

necessity of shock boots?

639 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  DefaZ 
#1 ·
i saw a thread on this when searching and just wanted to confirm it.

is it true that shock boots will actually do more harm than good by trapping moisture and mud against the shaft? I bought some yesterday but am now considering taking them back because of this.

#3 ·
I agree. I;ve heard the DT shocks have rust problems, so I tossed my boots asap. My friend has those really expensive Rancho9000 on his ZJ, and I told him about how the boots trap junk. Well we took a look at his boots and they were filled with mud and water. Luckily the arm was still nice and shiny, no harm done yet. Hacked em all off that day. :thumbsup:

#4 ·
That sucks!

I just ended up getting shock boots sent after I received my lift because I thought they were essential? Now you guys are saying throw them...what a waste of money! I just happen to play in the muck and the mud, so it makes sense for me to remove them. Damn! :brickwall

#6 ·
I run them on mine, but only the fronts. I don't get her wet that often and I'm mostly hitting dry trails. I checked mine this weekend and the very tops look a little rough. but the main section of shaft looks good. I keep mine loose on the bottom so that any water will run out of them.

I will probably ditch them when I upgrade to better shocks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.