Mystery wires? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Mystery wires?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 05-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
BobbyJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Mystery wires?

I was looking under the hood of '99 XJ Sport when I noticed two wires surrounded by a round flexible plastic shroud. The two wires come directly off the positive battery node. The shroud leads to the firewall where there are two "switches" with multiple wires connected to them, but each has an open, unused connector. It appears these two battery wires connect to these two switches. I bought my Jeep last year and there's no doubt these wires were disconnected by a previous owner. Does anyone have an idea as to what these two straight from the battery wires are for and why someone might disconnect them? Thanks!

BobbyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
cory4um
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds aftermarket, maybe previous owner had a CB/sound system/winch??
Where about on the firewall? The firewall is a large area..
Pics are always helpful!
cory4um is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
BobbyJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'' try and take some pics. The wires are definitely not aftermarket as they are clearly designed to come out as part of the battery's positive node. The wires are actually a part of the positive cable itself beginning where the cable attached to the battery. The two connecting switches on the firewall are like two inches square and maybe six or eight inches apart. They have several other wires attached and they appear to be there from day one, not aftermarket either. I'm so tempted to plug the two "dead end" wires to the switches to see what happens but I'm afraid I'll fry something doing it. The length of the wires is only two feet at most and both have ends that fit right on the switches, one each.
BobbyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 02:45 AM   #4
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

How can you be so sure the battery cables are "Factory" cables and not aftermarket?

And wouldn't it be better to see where the wires on that "switch" go to before you find out the hard way WHY the PO kept it unplugged??
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
cory4um
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If i recall correctly. The positive battery cable goes 2 places. The alternator/fuse box and to the starter. That's it....
cory4um is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds to me like a couple of circuit breakers, or relays, installed by either the PO, or by his mechanic or a stereo installer for some aftermarket accessory. Try testing the wires for juice...with a volt meter...not by touching them to each other.

Molded connectors can be had at ANY parts or electronics store giving it a "stock" appearance. Like said above, a picture says a thousand words. You might need to show us what you're describing.

I have an aftermarket circuit breaker and 4 extra relays for lights and other accessories. It does NOT look stock...but some guys, or their mechanics are very skilled at adding electronics and other modifications. Not me, but some guys. Mine works fine, not pretty,but functional.
Unread 05-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory4um View Post
If i recall correctly. The positive battery cable goes 2 places. The alternator/fuse box and to the starter. That's it....
Exactly, i have always seen wires go that way; they must be aftermarket. We could tell more from pics. Maybe you can use them for something.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.