My xj keeps stalling on me when its running - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > My xj keeps stalling on me when its running

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #1
jimbone007
1998 ZJ 

My xj keeps stalling on me when its running

Hey guys once again i need some help...... My jeep XJ stalled while driving it today as if it ran out of gas. i started it right back up drove it about 2 miles then it stalled out again and kept doing that until i finally made it home.Any ideas what it might be???

Thanks

jimbone007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 06:34 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

What year XJ, what engine, what transmission ?

Is the Check Engine Light (CEL) ON ? How many miles since the last tune-up ?

A bad battery, bad battery wire connections, other faulty wire connections, a faulty O2 sensor, a faulty CranKshaft Position Sensor (CPS), or a failing fuel pump could be the cause of the stalling.

You need to perform some routine maintenance/cleaning, some inspection, and some electrical testing.

Start with testing the CPS.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
jimbone007
1998 ZJ 

its a 1995.its has a straight six. im not sure what transmission. check engine light has been on since i bought it a year ago. battery is good wiring is good. it only stalls when i drive it and will stall every 2 miles now.it just started doing this.i maintain it regularly.
jimbone007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Fixing the Check Engine Light problem should be your first step.

You need to perform some routine inspection, and some electrical testing.

Start with testing the CPS.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

You should resolve any check engine light. Even if the engine is running fine, if you don't resolve it and you have more codes, it makes it very confusing to figure out what is what and you don't know if the first code issue has a relationship to the others.

For your 95, it's easy to retrieve the codes. Here's how. Post the code number(s) that you find for comment.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Retrieving OBD codes on the Jeep Cherokee (XJ)

OBD1 Models: 1991-1995

1) Start engine (if possible). Move transmission shift lever
through all positions, ending in Park. Turn A/C switch on and then off
(if equipped).
2) Turn engine off. Without starting engine again, turn
ignition on, off, on, off and on within 5 seconds. Record 2-digit
fault codes as displayed by flashing MIL.
3) For example, fault code 23 is displayed as flash, flash,
4-second pause, flash, flash, flash. After a slightly longer pause,
other codes stored are displayed in numerical order. When MIL begins
to flash fault codes, it cannot be stopped. Start over if count is
lost.

NOTE: A "5-5" will always occur to signal the end of the sequence. Some will flash the "1-2" code indicating a recent battery disconnect even if you haven't done it. Ignore these two codes, and mark down all others.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
tbburg
2000 XJ Cherokee 

How old is the battery? Even if it's "good" enough to start the jeep, it may be low enough to cause a problem. It's kind of strange, but one symptom of a battery going bad in an XJ is extremely low idle. The automatics will idle so slow that they'll die at stop lights - can't stay running with the vehicle in gear.
the problem will e intermittent for weeks until you finally have a problem cranking to start.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.