My Weekend Adventure: Towing with the XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > My Weekend Adventure: Towing with the XJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 05-02-2005, 12:23 AM   #1
Dr Tweak

My Weekend Adventure: Towing with the XJ

Well after installing my class III hitch, massive 10k lb tranny cooler, changing the rear diff to 75W140 Synthetic, wiring in trailer plug, and fixing my car dolly up, I decided to put it to the test!

I loaded up the '91 Toyota Tercel that I had to deliver onto the car dolly and set off. It was about a 4 hour drive to Boston, and then took car of that. Then this morning I brought the dolly to Revere and picked up a '90 Toyota Celica, and towed that back home.

Over all I'm very happy with how it went. The Jeep towed both vehicles very well, in fact around town I don't even notice that they're there. Going up steep hills (lots of those in VT) it was a bit of a strain, but I usually could maintain 65 mph in 3rd at 3k RPM most of the time, with occasional downshifts to 2nd.

I kept it in "3" the whole time. I don't have a tranny temp guage but I'm confident it was good with that big cooler. There was one rather hairy moment outside of Boston, I was trying to get over to an exit (one of those where there are people merging onto the highway at the same place you're trying to get off) and I had to step on it to get in, then I look up and see the yellow ramp speed sign, "20 MPH"! I tap the brakes as I come around the corner and the tow dolly and car just slide right out (it was raining, wet roads) on me and rotated the back of the Jeep a little bit. I kept it together and straightened it out, but I sure won't forget that!

That's one thing I forgot to mention is it was raining the whole time.

Anyway, my next upgrade is going to be brakes. I had plenty of power to get moving, but it was getting stopped that had me more worried. I'm thinking about a rear disk conversion and larger front brakes with the best pads/rotors I can get. I also need to upgrade the rear springs to something a little more heavy-duty since it gets pushed down back there quite a bit. Then I'm going to get an LSD for the rear. Once that's all done, it's 4.6 stroker time!!!

Any suggestions?

Dr Tweak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2005, 04:28 AM   #2
JoBo

Your right about getting the best pads My son just put new pads on his 96 and got the middle of the line pads and they made a night and day difference in braking power over what were on it The best were ceramic and he got metalic ones

JoBo
JoBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2005, 06:31 AM   #3
badron

Sounds like a good day overall, Your getting the felling of a load behind you. The name of the game is take you time. Think ahead. Start to slow down a lot sooner. A Cherokee can pull a train. It's getting it stop in time, that many people have problems with.

------------------------------------------------------------
I'm thinking about a rear disk conversion and larger front brakes with the best pads/rotors
Keeping your stock brakes in good shape is a good idea, towing or not and oversize brakes will last longer. They also tend to lockup easier. Remember you must balance braking effort with tire traction.

---------------------------------------------------
I also need to upgrade the rear springs to something a little more heavy-duty since it gets pushed down back there quite a bit.
----------------------------------------------------
Your stock spring should be in good shape. Not sagging when empty. not forming a W shape or separating a lot. If they are OK then I would think about helper springs and/or air shocks to level out the load. Overloads are a lot cheaper then HD springs Plus they can be soften up when not loaded.
Airs are nice for getting it up that last inch or two. But the shock part gets sloppy somewhat quickly. (2 years or less) So if a very heavy load is pulled you will need to change them often (IMO) and they are not cheap.
I run both air and stockers on the back. The air mainly for it's lift and I remove them at the end of vacation. I change the cheap stocker just before we go on vacation each year and just beat them to death.
If you have removed your sway bar you might want to reinstall it to.

Last edited by badron; 05-02-2005 at 07:08 AM..
badron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2005, 07:58 AM   #4
gbaronetXCR
2004 WJ 

I had issues this winter pulling sleds with my 90. At 60mph there was a serious flat spot with my 30's on. I'd have to run in 4th gear to pull the load.
Looking at ways to grab some power and will be going back to smaller tires.
Full tune up Check
New lifters Check tick tick tick
New Header Check
Boost in progress..
gbaronetXCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2005, 01:03 PM   #5
Dr Tweak

Quote:
Originally Posted by badron
Sounds like a good day overall, Your getting the felling of a load behind you. The name of the game is take you time. Think ahead. Start to slow down a lot sooner. A Cherokee can pull a train. It's getting it stop in time, that many people have problems with.

I'm thinking about a rear disk conversion and larger front brakes with the best pads/rotors
Keeping your stock brakes in good shape is a good idea, towing or not and oversize brakes will last longer. They also tend to lockup easier. Remember you must balance braking effort with tire traction.

---------------------------------------------------
I also need to upgrade the rear springs to something a little more heavy-duty since it gets pushed down back there quite a bit.
----------------------------------------------------
Your stock spring should be in good shape. Not sagging when empty. not forming a W shape or separating a lot. If they are OK then I would think about helper springs and/or air shocks to level out the load. Overloads are a lot cheaper then HD springs Plus they can be soften up when not loaded.
Airs are nice for getting it up that last inch or two. But the shock part gets sloppy somewhat quickly. (2 years or less) So if a very heavy load is pulled you will need to change them often (IMO) and they are not cheap.
I run both air and stockers on the back. The air mainly for it's lift and I remove them at the end of vacation. I change the cheap stocker just before we go on vacation each year and just beat them to death.
If you have removed your sway bar you might want to reinstall it to.
Hey, thanks for the tips

Has anyone taken the brakes from a Grand Cherokee and converted them to it onto the XJ?

I do intend to do a lot of towing. What would be the best option for the rear then? Air shocks?

-Doc
Dr Tweak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2005, 01:30 PM   #6
russkrs

I've been pulling a 17ft single axle enclosed trailer back and forth from Knoxville to up near Indy the last 3 weekends. I haven't loaded the trailer down too much, but I haven't had any real problems. Going over the mountians at Jellico, there are a few hills where i end up down in the 50s but that is because i hate letting it shift down into 2nd. Other than that it pulls fine.

I haven't bothered to throw on a cooler, but I only have one trip left.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.