is my transmission fixable??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > is my transmission fixable???

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-11-2014, 02:54 AM   #1
jolopy
1989 XJ Cherokee 

is my transmission fixable???

hey guys,i lost reverse a week or two ago,everything else works fine,nothing shifts hard nor are there any noises .it has been leaking atf where it mates to the engine/rear of the oil pan. but i keep it on the level.i just changed fluid hoping that id fluke out and it would aid a cure but it was a long shot...the reason im asking if its fixable is because if i get the rpms up 4000 ish and with one leg fred flinstone pushing it sort of gets rolling . could it be a reverse siliniod????? And is this something i could tackel in the driveway? or any ideas whats wrong and how to fix it ?,i have a donor ready to swap but if i dont have to and theres a chance i can fix it id try.......sorry its aw4...89...4x4

thank you whoever responds

jolopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 03:31 AM   #2
RockinJKBabe
2007 JK Wrangler 

Have you taken the pan off and inspected the magnets & filter?
RockinJKBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 03:41 AM   #3
jolopy
1989 XJ Cherokee 

for debry? no i havent changed the filter,are you able to see "anything" when looking at a tran filter? i to know look at magnets for fillings. you think the filter could stop one gear from working ,or am i just looking for obvious breakage and wear..,?

like i said everything else works fine,might i add it just "went",for no reason .no abuse or sign of trouble. all of a sudden it was gone.
Unread 03-11-2014, 04:35 AM   #4
RockinJKBabe
2007 JK Wrangler 

IMO a solenoid could be the problem with reverse but doesn't explain the leak.. How bad has it been leaking? Solenoid failure can be the result of insufficient fluid levels so even if you kept it topped off there could have been a period without enough fluid. I've only changed 2 solenoids before (2 diff vehicles) and both could be accessed removing the pan. 4-5 hours tops.

I would remove the pan, clean it change the filter and look for the source of the leak.. If you leave it leaking and replace the solenoid you risk another failure.
Unread 03-11-2014, 10:38 AM   #5
jolopy
1989 XJ Cherokee 

and thats all i can do/try eh....fluids, filter,solenoid,? all that and it might not work....maybe ill just finish the swap.
Unread 03-11-2014, 11:38 AM   #6
RockinJKBabe
2007 JK Wrangler 

I know that there are ways to test the solenoid but I am terrified of electricity and so I've never looked into it.
Unread 03-11-2014, 03:54 PM   #7
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

If it's leaking from the front of the bell housing...the input seal is shot. You'll need to pull the tranny to fix that. Keep your tranny fluid at the proper level until you can get your leak fixed. If you're going to pull the tranny to fix the leak you can mess with the filter. Remember at least half of the fluid is inside your torque converter, make sure you are checking the level with the Jeep running in Park...or Neutral.

When the tranny pump is running (whenever the engine is running) there is fluid being forced out the seal and spewing around inside your bell housing. When you stop it all leaks out. There is no reservoir of fluid INSIDE the bell housing. The cover is just that, a cover. It's not sealed. So anything that leaks out of the front (input) seal will drip on the ground

I would advise against "get the rpms up 4000 ish and with one leg fred flinstone pushing it sort of gets rolling". You can and will do harm to the tranny and maybe yourself. The decision you have to make is...since most shops will charge you around $500-$600 just to R&R the tranny, and the part (the seal) costs $3.50...is it worth it to you to do the work yourself...or take it to a shop.

You can rent a tranny jack for about $20 a day (and you WILL want a tranny jack). Pulling the tranny is not that hard if you have the right tools and a good understanding of how to turn a wrench....and some patience !!

If you go to AAMCO they will tell you that you need a new tranny, always!!
Unread 03-11-2014, 07:21 PM   #8
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

It's most likely the solenoid or the connector.

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 08:19 PM   #9
jolopy
1989 XJ Cherokee 

whats the connector, can i fix that myself?.no way in heck am i going to a shop...im not a master mechanic but im not about to go get hosed.if theres a easy/med way about fixing it myself ill give it a go...and yes ive just gutted a 93 , its not a fun job but i was able to get everything off and out,-the hvac and blown engine....the heater core im saving for another day...or tommorrow . lol
that being said getting mine out and another one in with everything still in the way or not wrecking something should prove to be a little more difficult . so if i could fix this one without pulling it would be nice.

connector?
Unread 03-12-2014, 07:29 AM   #10
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolopy View Post
connector?
The plug.

The plug that plugs in to the TCU (transmission control unit) which is located under the dash, passenger side, it's bolted to the metal part of the dash knee board.

OR

The plug where the wires from the transmission plug into the plug to the TCU harness. There are 2 connectors (plugs) on the passenger side of the engine just behind the oil dipstick. One plug is for the NSS (neutral safety switch) and one plug is for the solenoids etc.

"Fixing" either connector (plug), would involve disconnecting it, cleaning it out with a good electronics cleaner and making sure there are no bent, broken pins...and putting it back together. You can test the solenoids from the "plug" at either the TCU or the engine compartment plug. You can also test the solenoids themselves with the tranny pan off from underneath. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though, I don't remember there being a REVERSE solenoid.

Then you'll want to address that leak. Reverse is less important than the leak since fixing the leak could quite possibly fix the reverse issue, but fixing the reverse issue will not address the leak.

There is a 10 amp fuse at the TCU (under the dash). If you remove that and the reverse problem goes away...and you can shift manually...it's an electrical problem. If not it's a mechanical problem within the tranny. A mechanical problem MIGHT include the fact that your tranny fluid level is chronically low...because of the leak
Unread 03-12-2014, 10:56 AM   #11
jolopy
1989 XJ Cherokee 

ahhh i see sorry i was thinking connect was a mechanical something inside the trans.yes ok all is clear thank you for that info,yes im aware the leak is a major over the rest and i will address it. you guys are most helpfull and i thank you all again.
Unread 03-12-2014, 12:59 PM   #12
jolopy
1989 XJ Cherokee 

could it be the tcu? or would nothing work if it was bad, or can part of it go bad?
just wondering if i should swap it and see....
Unread 03-12-2014, 01:45 PM   #13
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolopy View Post
could it be the tcu? or would nothing work if it was bad, or can part of it go bad?
just wondering if i should swap it and see....
I would doubt it. They do however, fail. But it seems to me you'd have other problems. The fuse is there to protect it. If it's shifting thru all the other gears it's likely OK. I do not claim to know everything about the AW4...but I spent most of last summer futzing with mine...turned out that I had the wrong TCU in it all along. Seriously, try pulling the fuse to the TCU. See if you have reverse...then drive while shifting MANUALLY thru all the gears. You should have first, third and fourth...no second gear, no OD. If that's the case...it's most likely the solenoid.

Read this for more info:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/a...no-56k-717206/
Unread 03-12-2014, 06:42 PM   #14
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

See post 10 in the link at the bottom. And, the following photo showing the TCU fuse. Paradise is on the right track here.
tcu-fuse.jpg  

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2014, 09:58 PM   #15
jolopy
1989 XJ Cherokee 

ya guys i pulled the fuse and tried to reverse but no response ,but i hadent read the last post yet so i didnt do any driving around.ill try driving with it out,i also unplugged tcu and connects under the hood, all were clean ,tight, and normal as far as im concerned . so are we leaning towards solenoid?? someone said there may not be a reverse solenoid? i have very little idea the ins and outs of the inner functions of the tranny in detail so.im not much help .or is it more, ie :stripped something? something not repairable to a guy like myself in the back yard

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.