IS my TPS bad? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > IS my TPS bad?

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 03-11-2011, 12:42 PM   #1
IceD
2000 XJ Cherokee 

IS my TPS bad?

TPS reading .845 at idle to 3.99 at WOT my book says spec is .200 to 4.99 is my TPS bad?

IceD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
RMC_xj
2007 WK 

Peoples opinions on this will differ, but I would say that if you're idling okay, within the 600-1000 rpm range, you're okay. You're not throwing codes are you?

When my TPS failed last summer it was rather obvious that it had gone kaput. I was idling at 1300 rpm, but that wasn't a huge deal (I still knew I had to replace it eventually) . The major problem was that while driving on the highway, if I let off the gas, my rpms would drop well below 500, then the engine would die. I would say that when that happens, you're TPS MUST be replaced. If it's not doing that, then it's probably okay.
RMC_xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceD View Post
TPS reading .845 at idle to 3.99 at WOT my book says spec is .200 to 4.99 is my TPS bad?
Yes, it is out of the normal range and should be replaced.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
XJ Jay
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The voltage at idle of my new TPS was almost .9 of a volt, and my jeep runs fine. Not sure on the volt age at WOT is, it should be closer to 4.5 volts. Unless your having a driveability issues or check engine light, I would leave it alone.
XJ Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 07:30 AM   #5
cbordea
1998 XJ Cherokee 

when mine went bad both times it wouldn't shift out of first gear.
cbordea is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.